Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2002 10:26:25 AM EDT
I was sending a few golf clubs to my brother via USPS this morning. I made the mistake of reusing a long gun-type box to ship them in. When I get to the Post Office this morning, the friendly Federal employee behind the counter slaps some multiple-choice "dangerous goods" info slip on my box. And asks me if the package contains each of the items on the list. I said no to each. At that point, he wasn't satisfied. I could tell he just knew I was shipping an evil gun. So, then he asks me "What is the nature of the contents?". WTF!! I wanted to say "None of your f-cking business!". But quickly decided that was not the most diplomatic response. So I replied "golf clubs". So I could tell he still wasn't satisfied with that response, he took my package and tapped it hard on the ground and shook it. It probably sounded and felt a few irons packed together, so he seemed satisfied and proceeded to discuss golf topics while my receipt printed. I could tell he was testing my knowledge of golf with his limited knowledge... What the hell? When did Postal Employees become government interrogators?

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Everyone is an interrogator and snitch now remember?  Project TIPS.

Tyrannical Inquisition of Private Souls

Or

Tyrannical Inquisition of People's Sovereignty

Mike
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
In my local post office, actually in every post office I've been in, there are BIG posters stating if you reuse a box, make sure there are no original markings on it that would indicate hazardous or restricted contents.  No ORM-D stickers, no "Billy's Guns and Turpentine Shop" labels, etc.  The posts office is an arm of the government.  You can expect those folks have weekly meetings and training sessions devoted to spotting suspicious people/packages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top