Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2001 8:19:06 PM EDT
I had  a local armorer attempt to install a 3rd
gen. mount on my new M1A as the instruction manual advised, and the lower tightning nut broke.It looked brittle.Anyone else have a problem like this?
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#1]
hatchetman, some people really like the SA mount and others despise it.  I fall into the second group.  While I did not have your particular problem with the SA mount I did have others.  Part of the problem, IMHO is that the mount is aluminum whereas the top quality mounts are all steel.  I switched to the ARMS #18, which an absolutely superb unit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Paul, it was not my intent to disparage aluminum per se.  I also used a BAS and never had a bolt come loose.  The problem I had was that the aluminum cross slots did not hold up to recoil.  I was using Leupold QRW rings, which have steel cross bolts.  The recoil caused the bolts to rapidly deform the aluminum in the cross slots destroying the mount's ability to maintain zero.  I have never had a problem since I switched to the steel ARMs mount.
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
My error was that i was probably to eager to cash in on a deal (the loaded coupon) and should
gone with an arms mount.The 6X40 SA scope is backlogged til may.Oh well thanks for the info guys. guess i'll burn up more .223 ammo
Link Posted: 4/5/2001 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I never could get my 3rd to zero properly, so I just bought a Scout and use the old M1A for iron sights. Eventually I will get one of the other mounts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top