Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/5/2012 7:52:45 AM EDT
State Trooper got me on a 4lane stretch on the way home from Little Rock, no other cars in sight, wide open. We were all seat belted.  Wife in passenger side, 3 year old boy in the car sleeping in his carseat.

I pulled over before he even got turned around when I saw him throw the lights on, and had my hands on the wheel with my dark tinted windows all the way down when he got to the car so he could see inside.

I said, "Hello sir!, how fast did you get me?" He introduced himself, informed me of my speed, asked for licensee, etc. and as I handed him the goods I informed him that I had a concealed handgun license and there was a loaded weapon in the vehicle.

He said, "That's alright with me." and went back his unit. He came back with a warning and told me to have a nice day and a safe drive.

Afterwards my wife was talking about how it was chickenshit to pull me over for that small of an infraction, but she agreed when I explained to her that the speed was just the reason for hm to make contact, after that he's looking for some scumbag felon, or someone possibly drunk, perhaps with warrants, etc. I just happened to give him the opening, and I was speeding.

Since I was squeaky clean and polite to boot, I was on my way with no problem in under 5 minutes. Good cop.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like he was doing his job.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Since I was squeaky clean and polite to boot, I was on my way with no problem in under 5 minutes. Good cop.

Kiss-ass.

Just kidding.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#3]
"How fast did you get me?"

Not a cop but if someone said that to me, I'd probably assume they're a serial speeder and give him a ticket.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
State Trooper got me on a 4lane stretch on the way home from Little Rock, no other cars in sight, wide open. We were all seat belted.  Wife in passenger side, 3 year old boy in the car sleeping in his carseat.

I pulled over before he even got turned around when I saw him throw the lights on, and had my hands on the wheel with my dark tinted windows all the way down when he got to the car so he could see inside.

I said, "Hello sir!, how fast did you get me?" He introduced himself, informed me of my speed, asked for licensee, etc. and as I handed him the goods I informed him that I had a concealed handgun license and there was a loaded weapon in the vehicle.

He said, "That's alright with me." and went back his unit. He came back with a warning and told me to have a nice day and a safe drive.

Afterwards my wife was talking about how it was chickenshit to pull me over for that small of an infraction, but she agreed when I explained to her that the speed was just the reason for hm to make contact, after that he's looking for some scumbag felon, or someone possibly drunk, perhaps with warrants, etc. I just happened to give him the opening, and I was speeding.

THIS^^^^

He may have not even been looking for any felonies...just a boring stretch of road and you were the only one on it for him to make a stat in his log sheet with.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
PD's need money.  This is how they make a little extra while justifying their existence.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#6]
In before "Isolated incidnet"
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
He thought you were the Sheriff
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]
CSB

Over the limit is over the limit.

Your opening remark was foolish.

Otherwise you had a good interaction. Good job.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I think you came across as initially more suspicious than anything.  What you drive, how you look, and any other stand out behaviors were more important to him than 6mph over.  Once he checked you out, all was well.

Can we get a LEOs perspective on what you look for as suspicious?  I imagine in this case tinted windows up front played a part.  Type of vehcile (work truck vs Escalade), maintence of the vehicle, blaring music, certain bumper stickers....etc.  It's probably common sense stuff, but what is the LEO take?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He thought you were the Sheriff

Except the State boys aren't stupid ass kids trying to make a name for themselves.  They're the LEO's all other's should look up to in this state.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#11]
For six over?  Must have been one bored cop.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Last night?

All state agencies were making a big push for 4th of July travel.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Oh well ....CSB.

Tough job ...I couldn't do it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CSB

Over the limit is over the limit.

Otherwise you had a good interaction. Good job.

I was in a good humor and he could tell, I was not trying to be a smart ass, I was really wondering, since my speedo was actually reading that exactly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Fishing expedition.  Just the way they do business.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#16]

heck...speedo's can be off 6mph, due to tire size variance, aftermarket wheels and tires, calibrations,etc...

he did his job, the warning was a good result. If your wife wasn't in the car it would have been a ticket for sure,LOL
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not a cop but if someone said that to me, I'd probably assume they're a serial speeder and give him a ticket.

Not to mention, good luck fighting it in court, seeing as you pretty much admitted you were speeding.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I got pulled over for speeding, maybe 1-2 mph over the posted speed of 45. The cop was in the left lane doing 43mph my speedo was reading so I snailed pass him and as soon as I passed he turn on his blues and pulled me over. Went on saying how my speedometer was wrong and speeding is a big problem.  He did write me up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
PD's need money.  This is how they make a little extra while justifying their existence.

Those warnings sure do bring in the big bucks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think you came across as initially more suspicious than anything.  What you drive, how you look, and any other stand out behaviors were more important to him than 6mph over.  Once he checked you out, all was well.

Can we get a LEOs perspective on what you look for as suspicious?  I imagine in this case tinted windows up front played a part.  Type of vehcile (work truck vs Escalade), maintence of the vehicle, blaring music, certain bumper stickers....etc.  It's probably common sense stuff, but what is the LEO take?

Silver 2009 Mazda5 wagon thing, no stickers/markings but for the AR15.COM license plate frame.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Last night?

All state agencies were making a big push for 4th of July travel.

I bet they miss out on a lot with the holiday being a Wednesday because there aren't nearly as many road trips and holiday traffic compared to a weekend holiday.  Plus the usual holiday crack-down looking for DUIs and stuff.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#22]
MSHP has a mandatory number of public contacts, they will pull pull you over with no intention of writing you. Some fish, some don't.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Uh wat?

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'd say its 50/50 that some cops will think your being a smart ass.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS^^^^

He may have not even been looking for any felonies...just a boring stretch of road and you were the only one on it for him to make a stat in his log sheet with.  

^^^THIS^^^is  what Troopers are paid to do.  It sounds like he was courteous and respectful, good on him.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#26]
you were speeding.  6 over or 3 over, you were speeding.

he did his job.  and you didnt get a ticket, whats the problem?  

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes, since warning tickets generate revenue.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#28]
http://www.careofnorthamerica.org/

Reason all State Agencies, including Canadian, were pushing traffic safety over the 4th.

http://www.careofnorthamerica.org/Enforcement/

July 4th  Holiday

July 4, 2012 - July 8, 2012

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Hell I got pulled over and ticketed for 6 over once.  Rookie troopers in NW Nebraska want to get the hell out of the panhandle.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Missed that sentence.  I've been lucky as well and received a warning or three.  

Eventually, I see cameras being used for speed enforcement like red light cameras.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

+1 Yeah, that is kind of a smarty pants line.  I don't think I'd use it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There was no problem, retard meme guy, that was the point. It's a CSB, get it?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Herpity Derpity Doo. It wasn't a Summons.

But you:

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen anyone messed with around here for that, everyone has dark tint. Summertime here without it -the AC can barely keep up, especially in a wagon/van with all that glass.

That's just something you write/pile on after the fact that someone's been arrested or ticketed fr something else more serious.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

english dude, english??  
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#37]
That's the best traffic stop AAR from the civilian viewpoint I've ever read.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

english dude, english??  

LOL, spell English!
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#39]
oh, oh.

He now has the address for another no knock warrant.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Probably just a fishing stop for pulling you over at that speed.  Once he figured there were no bricks of cocaine or dead hookers in your car he lost interest and let you go.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

english dude, english??  

English was the language used in the OP which you never apparently read.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen anyone messed with around here for that, everyone has dark tint. Summertime here without it -the AC can barely keep up, especially in a wagon/van with all that glass.

That's just something you write/pile on after the fact that someone's been arrested or ticketed fr something else more serious.

Looks like Arkansas has a 25% limit for light transmittance on window tint. That is moderately dark. Do you know what your front windows(next to drive's seat) tints out at? Also, just because everybody does it doesn't make it right.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like Arkansas has a 25% limit for light transmittance on window tint. That is moderately dark. Do you know what your front windows(next to drive's seat) tints out at? Also, just because everybody does it doesn't make it right.

The trooper said nothing about the tint.

All this stop shows is that it as a slow day for him.  He needed pretenses for stops, was not looking to ticket anyone unless the begged for it.  It's just good, basic police work.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#44]
i thought in the south they give you at least 15 over - maybe he thought you looked like a hood rat?

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I don't know the number for it, but it's marginally lighter than the rear windows. Its pretty damn dark. It's really needed, and if it's illegal, it should not be for sale IMO. Not to mention ALL police/LE vehicles are blacked out, AND most new cars on the lot have dark tint, so yeah- It's right. I was right to roll them down to give him proper visibility, and everyone should probably do that. In fact, that would make a more sensible law than banning tint, but yet having it for sale anyway.

Trooper was a good guy and did not care about the tint as you would expect. Now If I was drunk or otherwise a shithead lawbreaker he could have and probably would have tacked it on to the list for good measure.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All this stop shows is that it as a slow day for him.  He needed pretenses for stops, was not looking to ticket anyone unless the begged for it.  It's just good, basic police work.

How do you know what was going through the Troopers mind?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know what was going through the Troopers mind?

I am not the one asserting he was stopped for illegal tint, with zero evidence.

The evidence points to his being stopped for speeding, and getting a warning.

What evidence do you assert to show the tint was anything but a larger part of a profile?  Did the trooper test the tint?  Mention the tint?  Look at the tint funny?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The world would be so much better without law enforcement?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I don't know the number for it, but it's marginally lighter than the rear windows. Its pretty damn dark. It's really needed, and if it's illegal, it should not be for sale IMO. Not to mention ALL police/LE vehicles are blacked out, AND most new cars on the lot have dark tint, so yeah- It's right. I was right to roll them down to give him proper visibility, and everyone should probably do that. In fact, that would make a more sensible law than banning tint, but yet having it for sale anyway.

Trooper was a good guy and did not care about the tint as you would expect. Now If I was drunk or otherwise a shithead lawbreaker he could have and probably would have tacked it on to the list for good measure.

Unfortunately stores sell aftermarket items for your car/truck ie, mufflers,tint,those "blue"headlights,license plate covers,etc that are illegal in most places. In my state,Police vehicles are exempt from the equiptment section of the vehicle and traffic law. And thx for rolling down your windows
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top