Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#3]
and they're incredibly reliable...
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://members.verizon.net/~vze2ncbk/ar15/kb.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I just read that 85% of all the guns brought to thunder ranch are either Glock or 1911's.  So when people's lives are on the line that is what they choose.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
AIMLESS thanks nice info [beer]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#9]
They are made to last.  My butthead buddy dropped one onto the cement at the range and not one scratch.  Wiped it off and shot it again.  My 26 is really accurate, much more so then the larger Glocks.  But it always goes BOOM when you pull the trigger and considering the cost its worth it.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#10]
You ought to post it here too. [url]handguns.ar15.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Out of the box, I agree that Glocks are more reliable. I have 3 and have never had one jam or fail in any way. 1911s are an older design, and I have found them to be less reliable until tuned in.

You have to remember that many 1911s these days are super-tuned with tight match chambers, and that in itself makes the gun less reliable. But I think a good, broken in govt. 1911 is very reliable (until the extractor breaks, that is) he he.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
As much as I like 1911s, the Glocks got it all over the 1911s. True the 1911s are classics, but that is like comparing a propeller plane to a jet plane, no matter what you do to the prop plane, it ain't gonna be jet. The Glock is state of the art technology for firearms like all 3rd & 4th generation guns.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally
You have to remember that many 1911s these days are super-tuned with tight match chambers, and that in itself makes the gun less reliable. But I think a good, broken in govt. 1911 is very reliable (until the extractor breaks, that is) he he.
View Quote

I couldn't disagree more. I have a Wilson Protector Compact that has over 2K rounds thru it and not a singe malfunction. It has a 3.5 lb trigger and is a tack driver. I had a Glock 30 and hated the way it pointed. I carry the Wilson, and have an HK USPc .45 as a backup, but never needed it. It stays in a safe in my truck. If I didn't carry the Wilson for some reason, I'd carry the HK as it gives me the option carrying condition one. If I was going to carry a "safe action" gun, it would be the Springfield XD in .357 SIG. It out Glocks the Glock.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was a youngun' living on the farm we had some chickens that preferred Glocks.  All day long those damn chickens would repeat "Glock-Glock-Glock-Gloooooock."  Everybody knows chickens are dumb. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
True the 1911s are classics, but that is like comparing a propeller plane to a jet plane, no matter what you do to the prop plane, it ain't gonna be jet.
View Quote

Not a good analogy. More like comparing an unused 64 Vett to a toyota. The toyo is reliable. The Vett kicks ass! Seriously, the Kimbers, Wilsons, and Springfileds (with Wilson Mags) are as reliable as a Glock. It always boils down to what feels best in your hand and what you can shoot accurately. Nothing against Glocks, I just hate the way they feel in MY hand. I really like the XD though. My nephew has one in .40 and it shoots very nice. The grip fits my hand and I like the familiar feel of a beaver tail safety.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Originally
View Quote

I couldn't disagree more. I have a Wilson Protector Compact that has over 2K rounds thru it and not a singe malfunction. It has a 3.5 lb trigger and is a tack driver. I had a Glock 30 and hated the way it pointed. I carry the Wilson, and have an HK USPc .45 as a backup, but never needed it. It stays in a safe in my truck. If I didn't carry the Wilson for some reason, I'd carry the HK as it gives me the option carrying condition one. If I was going to carry a "safe action" gun, it would be the Springfield XD in .357 SIG. It out Glocks the Glock.
View Quote

You would use a $1500+ gun as an example of a reliable out-of-the-box 1911 and compare it against a stock $500 Glock? Come on! That Wilson is hardly a stock gun, even right from the factory.

How about comparing the Glock to an $800 Kimber and Springfield, which is closer in price?

Better yet, spend some time at 1911forum.com and learn just how reliable most 1911s are right out of the box. They're hit or miss, but pretty good once broken in and turned as necessary by a gunsmith.

Out of the box, however, the Glocks and HKs rarely fail.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When I was a youngun' living on the farm we had some chickens that preferred Glocks.  All day long those damn chickens would repeat "Glock-Glock-Glock-Gloooooock."  Everybody knows chickens are dumb. [:D]
View Quote

LMAO, but oh so true!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a WW2 era "U.S. Property" Colt 1911 that has never had a single malfunction in the 10,000 plus rounds I have fired it. I stick ball ammo in G.I. mags and I just go. The new s#*t(modern commercial 1911s), in my experience, is not as reliable.
  Harp
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#19]
The Kimbers certainly didn't provide a very good showing.  [:\]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#20]
i have to admit my glock 17 is very reliable, i really love to shoot it, i would not to hesitate to use it in a life and death situation.
i feel the same way about both of my 1911s also, but they are prettier to look at.
 glocks are really ugly, but they function great.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Glocks do seem more reliable.  Most of my friends who shoot have one kind of Glock or another, and they never have a problem.  Almost every 1911 I have shot would fail regularly. Mostly stovepipe jams.

But then, I've never heard of a 1911 kabooming, either.   I hear anecdotes of Glocks kb'ing all the time.  In fact, my latest visit to the gun store I heard one of the employees talking about sending his Glock back to the factory after a KB.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally
View Quote

View Quote

You would use a $1500+ gun as an example of a reliable out-of-the-box 1911 and compare it against a stock $500 Glock? Come on! That Wilson is hardly a stock gun, even right from the factory.

How about comparing the Glock to an $800 Kimber and Springfield, which is closer in price?

Better yet, spend some time at 1911forum.com and learn just how reliable most 1911s are right out of the box. They're hit or miss, but pretty good once broken in and turned as necessary by a gunsmith.

Out of the box, however, the Glocks and HKs rarely fail.
View Quote

Please...the only reason that the 1911 design is regarded as "unreliable" by Glock owners is because it has been around long enough to have been customized to the point where it barely resembles JMB's creation.  I'd love to see what the Glock will look like in about 50 years (disregarding the stupid "accessory" rail that some folks think makes a custom gun).  Then again, the Glock ain't much of a platform for customization, is it?

The main problem is that people want all the bells and whistles with everything they buy, and most of them really don't have a clue.  You start messing with the original design, you are going to have problems.

If the companies that are building the 1911's now would just stick to JMB's original specifications, we wouldn't be having this discussion about reliability..

With that said, I'll put my $650 (non-customized, our-of-the-box) Kimber against your $500 Glock any day of the week.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Last year, I was checking out some frangible ammo at a local dealer and ran across a box (can't remember the brand) that was labeled "Safe to shoot in Glocks".

If any of you Glock owners need some I can try to find it again. I should have picked up some for a friend of mine who owns a Glock. Ever since then, I've been worried he might shoot something unsafe in his pistol.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]
[b].....and then there's [red]JetLag[/red], responding with his KA_BOOM ! graphic.  do you own a Glock dude? or were you just assuming this since this is what youve heard from other uninformed people? i have two Glocks. must have fired 5000 rounds out of my 22 in .40 cal, about 3000 out of the 26 in 9mm. i trust my life with either gun.  you should buy one and then lets see what you think. these guns ARE very reliable. [/b]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...and then there's [red]Jetlag[/red], responding with his KA-BOOM! graphic. Do you own a Glock dude? Or were you just assuming this since this is what youve heard from other uninformed people? I have two Glocks. Must have fired 5000 rounds out of my 22 in .40 cal, about 3000 out of the 26 in 9mm. I trust my life with either gun. You should buy one and then lets see what you think. These guns ARE very reliable.
View Quote

Hey, I was just teasing; no reason to get bent out of shape. Glocks are fine weapons and I wouldn't have any problem trusting my life with one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#27]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
When I was a youngun' living on the farm we had some chickens that preferred Glocks. All day long those damn chickens would repeat "Glock-Glock-Glock-Gloooooock." Everybody knows chickens are dumb.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They may be dumb but they obviously know what weapon is best. [;)]

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The only thing Glocks have going for them is that they float. [;)]
View Quote

lol just like shit!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Glock kB's are like School shootings

Rarely happens, but highly publicized when it does.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
[b].....and then there's [red]JetLag[/red], responding with his KA_BOOM ! graphic.  do you own a Glock dude? or were you just assuming this since this is what youve heard from other uninformed people? i have two Glocks. must have fired 5000 rounds out of my 22 in .40 cal, about 3000 out of the 26 in 9mm. i trust my life with either gun.  you should buy one and then lets see what you think. these guns ARE very reliable. [/b]
View Quote
So unless you own a Glock or have had one go KABOOM in your hand, it didn't happen???   This isn't like someone who hasn't shot one saying they are inaccurate or jam, etc.  This is related to documented cases, with pictures, of this very thing happening.  I am not knocking Glocks, but it has happened.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I think the point is if one guy has a KABOOM and you get 50 guys always talking about it, it starts to sound like they've had 50 KABOOMS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Please...the only reason that the 1911 design is regarded as "unreliable" by Glock owners is because it has been around long enough to have been customized to the point where it barely resembles JMB's creation.  I'd love to see what the Glock will look like in about 50 years (disregarding the stupid "accessory" rail that some folks think makes a custom gun).  Then again, the Glock ain't much of a platform for customization, is it?
View Quote

That's true, I agree a lot of the 1911s barely resemble the original design, but people want to shoot more than 230gr. ball, so I guess the design had to change. Don't get me wrong, I am a 1911 fan. I own one, have shot quite a few and plan to buy 2-3 more 1911s pretty soon. I also own a few Glocks, HKs, and an S&W 4006, and out of them all I have had feeding problems only with the 1911. This doesn't mean I don't like it, just the opposite is true, but I understand some tuning is necessary. In fact, I just got it back from Springfield last week and plan to take it out this coming week. As far as customization, the Glock is pretty much ready to go out of the box. The trigger sucks, but that's a different story.

The main problem is that people want all the bells and whistles with everything they buy, and most of them really don't have a clue.  You start messing with the original design, you are going to have problems.
View Quote

Maybe, but a lot of the bells and whistles are necessary if you plan to shoot full-power hollow points and the like.

If the companies that are building the 1911's now would just stick to JMB's original specifications, we wouldn't be having this discussion about reliability..
View Quote

That could be the case. But people want to shoot various ammo and want increased accuracy, so I guess that's where the problems start.

With that said, I'll put my $650 (non-customized, our-of-the-box) Kimber against your $500 Glock any day of the week.
View Quote

I don't know what to say to that. All I can say is my Glocks have never had reliability problems. And neither have my HKs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:37:33 AM EDT
[#35]
The first thing everyone who bashes Gods gift, the 1911 pattern pistol needs to remember is that there are MANY manufactureres of this type pistol. Only Glock makes glocks. I presume anyone with a flyspeck of brains will understand that a pistol built by Wilson,(my brand times 2),Baer, Kimber, Springfield and as of late Colt, is usually going to be a well made gun. My Wilsons have NEVER failes except for a OAL problem I created in my reloads. There are however some 1911 manufactures of crap.
I recently witnessed a Auto Ord pistol that was used in a local match and featured in a very recent nationaly published gun mag. The gun was better suited as a hammer.
I also have seen at IDPA matches more of the combat tupperware failures than I would have ever thought could happen due to the near mythical reputation of the plastic fantastic.
Im not saying that there were tons of them maybe 10 or so in all and several from the same gun.
Bottem line is if you like Glocks, hope your happy with them. I dont care for the way they fit in my hand but the ones I have owned ran without a hitch. I'll stick with my Wilsons and any other well made 1911. Most problems with 1911's can be solved by throwing away all of your mags and buying Wilson mags.
When some half assed company starts building knock off Glocks and they fuck it up I wont use it as ammo to blast Glocks. Myabe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#36]
[sleep]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:50:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Waldo,
Were you using lead bullets with out any type of copper jacket? I can say as a glock armorer there is a warning in your owners manual against useing plain lead bullets since they have been proven to cause the barrel to burst on factory glock barrels which is due to the rifling (octagonal or hexagonaldepending on the calibre of the gun) in the barrel which will cause this to happen.

If you want to shoot plain lead bullets you can buy after market drop in barrels that will allow you to use the Plain lead type bullets.

[kill]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:13:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top