Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2012 8:19:33 AM EDT
I am one of those Luddites who prefers to have physical discs shipped to me, rather than use streaming. I have a few reasons for that, but that is not the focus of this thread. In this thread we talk about ways of actually getting the movies we want to see in the order we want to see them.

But wait, you say. Doesn't Netflix allow you to set up a prioritized queue of discs that you want, and then send them to you in that order? In theory, the answer is yes, but the reality is that if a movie at the top of your queue is in high demand, such as Act of Valor, or Tomorrow When the War Began, or John Carter, Netflix uses some kind of "logic" to decide to ignore the fact that it is your number 1, and send you your number 12 (for example), instead. Now, to some extent that is ok, because you did put number 12 on your queue because you do want to see it. Eventually. But when your top, say, 5 movies have been at the top for WEEKS and they keep sending you movies from farther down on your list, it tends to piss a man off.

I am imagining that their logic runs something along the lines of "if movie demand exceeds supply, and user x queue contains alternative choices, then give user x the alternative choice; if no alternative choice, then give user x the requested movie."  So, today, I removed everything from my queue EXCEPT my top 5. I have two discs in the mail on the way back to them, which should be received on 7/5 (tomorrow). We shall see if the Netflix "logic" will elect to FINALLY send me the fucking discs that have been at the top of my goddamn queue for weeks!

Is my effort likely to succeed, or will they simply delay on sending anythign at all, or are there better ways to get the movies you want, on disc, sooner?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Which do you want:  Ultra low price - or quality of service?

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Which do you want:  Ultra low price - or quality of service?  

You know the answer around here! Get both!

But seriously, I am thinking that I could be smarter about how I use the queue, and this is my first experiment to find out. I was hoping that others may have the experience to offer tips.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#3]
for new releases, usually on a Tues., I get a return disc to them on the Mon. the day before it is slated for release.

ex:  this week I had: Safe House (w/Denzil Washington and Ryan Reynolds) and Bad Ass reserved at the top of my queue.
both were slated for release on July 3.  I returned two discs so that Netflix would recieve them by Mon. July 2 and I was shipped the new releases on Mon 7/2 to be delivered on 7/3.

It usually works for me w/ new releases.
Trying to get a hot release after the initial release date is a bitch.  I've been waiting to get Game of Thrones for about a month now.  When they say very long wait they aren't kidding.

I usually don't hang onto a release for more than a week, maybe that gives me some priority points? (if something like that is factored into the equation) in getting new releases; if I time it right
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Netflix gives priority to new customers for high demand movies. The longer you have been a customer the greater the delay for new movies.

For TV series i usually skip the first disc.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Netflix gives priority to new customers for high demand movies. The longer you have been a customer the greater the delay for new movies.

For TV series i usually skip the first disc.

That's horrible!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top