Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2002 12:56:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Seeing as though it's a tub, it should be less of a hassle since there is no tile shower floor to tear up....and then refloat.  If it's just straight walls, no windows, you might spend more time hanging wallboard than setting the tile.

Take the time to lay it out correctly...it's worth the time it takes.  Keep the cuts close to the wall or ceiling, if you have any.

Hopefully you got Durock for the backer...I absolutely hate green board, it isn't worth a crap when wet.

I apprenticed in tile setting for a couple of years, this about 9 years ago.  Best shape of my life at the time...hell on the knees though.  From my experience from that time setting countless numbers of tubs/showers...is that grout sealent really isn't necessary, as long as you you don't use harsh chemicals in cleaning the tub/shower...which you shouldn't anyway if you are using quality tile...

Make sure you post a pic of the completed bath tub.  Tile setting is one of the most rewarding jobs if done right...it really is rewarding to see a job well done

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I like those tiles.  It's going to look great when you get it finished.

I've been wanting to install a tile backsplash in my kitchen.  Do I need some kind of backer board for that?  Although I've never done any tile work before, I'm pretty confident that I can set the tiles alright.  But I'm concerned about prepping the walls properly.  Currently, it's a painted wall with some texture (which I think was a stupid thing to do in a kitchen in the first place).  Any suggestions from those of you "in the know"?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#3]
You too? I just pulled a cast iron tub and am now installing a jacuzzi tub.

After cutting a tile, round the cut edges with a green mesh hand sander, it looks more professional than a straight cut.

I also use a Mikita 3 3/8" circular saw for cutting.

Have you hung wonderboard or durock yet?

I was also at Lowes, and was considering a 4x4 mural and then spot the white tiles with single painted tiles (make sence?).  This breaks up the white.  I'm also considering another design, and will be traveling to other stores.  One store had murals for only $700 (Lowes was $70-80), a bit pricy.  Try to break up the white, and also consider gray grout, that helps too.

I'll post some photos soon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

After cutting a tile, round the cut edges with a green mesh hand sander, it looks more professional than a straight cut.

I also use a Mikita 3 3/8" circular saw for cutting.
View Quote

The wet saw is the way to go with that.  The blade is thicker, dull, and utilizes the water to make smooth, uniform cuts on the tile.  Scoring, cutting, miters...the wet saw is a wonder for ceramic tile.

Ar-15gal,

Depending on what wallboard is presently there, and how it lines up with the counter/sink you could just tile over it, provided you scrape the paint/existing spackle off.  If you replace the old wallboard, I'd use durock, it's impervious to water.

If you have a Home Depot around I'd check into taking one of their free classes on setting tile.  It could give you just enough of a foundation to do a pretty decent backsplash.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the middle of a bathroom rehab too. It's the smaller one in a split plan. We ripped out the old oversized tiled shower, and are installing a 60" shower module (no tub) w/glass doors. I ripped out the vanity a while back, when a pipe ruptured in the floor. Particlebaord CRAP got wet. Why these idiots 'down heah' bury plumbing in the slab just flabberghasts me. Old ceramic tile floor is OUT. We'll be doing kind of a retro look, in black/white. White fixtures (shower module/toilet/ ped. sink) and a black/white mosaic pattern on the walls, black cap, and matte black 8" sq. tile on the floor. I'll be adding a glass block detail above the back shower wall, the house outside wall, which is CC block w/full brick facing. Lotta work cutting through, there. I want the natural light filtering through (East wall) in the shower area. Worst of the job is going through the slab to relocate the floor drain. Now all I need is one of those toilet seats with US coins embedded in the clear plastic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Eee-ghads!! Is everyone on this board doing a bathroom remodel or what [?]

DVD --

I was a HD picking up a couple P-traps, faucet lines and drain extensions when I say the cover of "Fine Homebuilding" magazine, the one I told you to get for your plumbing project (other post). Well, they're featuring [b]how-to cut and set tile for a bathroom[/b]. The cover photo shows a guy working around a tub that's been partially tiled in. This is a great magazine for everyone. I've let my subscription lapse, but it's the best no-nonsense building magazine I've ever read. Do yourself a favor and pick up the June 2002 issue. It'll save you a lot of time and frustration.

-- ale
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Tiling is fun, its like arts and crafts for grownups.  I am almost finished with a year long project in which i tore down the bathroom down to the bare studs, and put in marble.  Three hints:
1.  Can't beat a high quality wet saw.  The ones they rent at home depot are top notch.
2.  Screw the backerboard in real tight, but don't slather mortar too thick on the seams, cuz it will result in an uneven surface and the tile will not sit right.
3.  Most of the time, you will wind up starting your wall tile a few inches up from the floor.  For one thing this allows you to put an expansion joint at the wall/floor seam.  If you do this, use a straight length of 1x2 lumber, screwed level to the wall, as a batten to keep the tiles from sliding down after you set them.

Feel free to email if you have any questions!  Have fun!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys are brave.  Good thing that's a tactical caulk gun! [8D]

I have a small shower that needs a pan and tile job, in my office, and I was going to update the plumbing to a modern single control type!  Any of you guys up for a trip to Florida, or if you're here over to St. Pete Beach?  I haven't even gotten estimates, yet, but it's a job I think I'll leave to a pro!  It's such a small area in there, I barely fit!

Now the kids bathtub is another story, and I may end up doing that one, myself, as it seems like you guys are having fun!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]
i just finished this tile yesterday, the original tile was slick as whale shit in an ice flow. this tile is rough and looks like slate. i thought i was the only one lucky enough to have to do this. but the hard part is done now for the finishing touches. note the red collapsible stock assault caulk gun
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/pe1872c439b28428dd7a69ab9290bc2fa/fd814924.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#13]
all your base are belong to us?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#14]
just a tip, an old towel works real good after you go over it with the sponge. i went through 2 towels (trashed them) but it picks up the grout residue real good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's a DIY CK6 Tactical Caulk Gun
[img]http://www.petenelson.com/Photos/Misc/House/Retiling%20Guest%20Bathroom/13%20-%20Tactical%20Caulk%20Gun%2001.jpg[/img]
View Quote

That's not a tactical caulk gun. This is
[img]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/45900-45999/45973.gif[/img]

If you got a lot of caulk to do, you can run this puppy about as fast as you can walk. BTW - the 40 PSI max rating is a damage limit, not a suggested working pressure. Had too big a hole cut already, dialed the compressor down to 40 psi, and hit the trigger. BLOOP. 1/4 tube of caulk was laying on the floor.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#16]
My brother did his main head rain locker...errrr master bathroom shower with two of these bad boys mounted in the overhead...ceiling. They are 12 inches in diameter, it's like being in a rain forest!
[img]http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/claw-giant-brass.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:07:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My brother did his main head rain locker...errrr master bathroom shower with two of these bad boys mounted in the overhead...ceiling. They are 12 inches in diameter, it's like being in a rain forest!
[img]http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/claw-giant-brass.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Tell him to cut that shit out! He's using up our water!

Oh, and make sure and turn the lights out after you take a dump so we'll have power too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://www.petenelson.com/Photos/Misc/House/Retiling%20Guest%20Bathroom/13%20-%20Tactical%20Caulk%20Gun%2001.jpg[/img]

This is, perhaps, the most [b]hysterical[/b] photo I've ever seen posted on this site! Bravo! [beer]

Is it pre- or post-ban?

Actually, I'm finishing up my own guest bathroom. Turns out the pinheads who originally built the house used greenboard. When the grout fell out over time, the pinheads didn't replace it, so both our bathroom walls were falling down on us! Now that I've finished one room, I'll be moving on to the other, and USING DUROCK!

As for the super showerhead above, I want to give my wife one of those in the master shower. She wants two showerheads so we can shower together ([:D]), and I figured I'd throw one of those in, as well.

Edited to ask: Why the felt paper? None of the houses here in South Florida seem to use the stuff except of the roof. My house has aluminum studs (which SUCK, BTW) and the back wall of the shower I did was the outside concrete block wall.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
all your base are belong to us?
View Quote

[url]http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 1:22:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.petenelson.com/Photos/Misc/House/Retiling%20Guest%20Bathroom/23%20-%20Tile%20to%20be%20cut%20for%20inlays.jpg[/img]

View Quote

Talk about TACTICAL...   What did you use the Hoppes for? [:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#24]
That looks damned good!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks great DVD.

So you wanna come over Saturday to help me put in a new toilet. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top