Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2002 11:51:15 PM EDT
[i][red]in fake cashier's checks.  Oops.[/red][/i]

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=578&u=/nm/20020720/ts_nm/attack_trainee_dc_1&printer=1[/url]
[b]U.S. Arrests Suspected Al Qaeda Trainee -Report[/b]
[i]Sat Jul 20, 1:26 AM ET[/i]

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. officials have arrested a Jordanian-born man alleged to have $12 million in fake cashier's checks and said they suspected he trained in al Qaeda camps in Afghanistan, The Washington Post reported on Saturday.

"It has really alarmed a lot of people that al Qaeda may be trying to get that much money into the United States for operational purposes," one official told the Post.

"We don't know what he was up to, but he was coming from Indonesia, he had $12 million in bogus checks ... he was born in Jordan and his family is from Chechnya. There is a lot of smoke there to investigate," the official added.

Authorities at the FBI ( news - web sites) were not immediately available to comment on the report.

The United States has linked Muslim rebels in Indonesia to Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network, which Washington blames for the Sept. 11 attacks.

Officials said 47-year-old Omar Shishani was detained on Wednesday when he arrived at Detroit's Metropolitan Airport, according to the report. It said Shishani's Dearborn, Michigan, home, where he lives with his wife, was searched Thursday.

Shishani told officials he was a naturalized U.S. citizen, and was carrying a passport, the Post said. His court-appointed federal defender declined to comment to the newspaper.

Officials said Shishani's name appeared on a watch list of people trained in Afghanistan by al Qaeda and also in documents found in Afghanistan, the paper said.

Officials said they did not know how the checks would have been used, but that they were "extremely well made," according to the paper.

Shishani was in custody until his detention hearing, scheduled for Wednesday, the paper said.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#1]
*checks AR-180B magazines
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:42:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, I don't buy this.... Try to find a flight originating in Indonesia that flys into DTW. Sounds like a good excuse for more homefront-defending dollars.

"Look everyone! this is paying off already!"

"It has really alarmed a lot of people that al Qaeda may be trying to get that much money into the United States for operational purposes," one official told the Post.
View Quote

Um, They could just have bought some savings bonds... I mean, c'mon please. I could get 12 mil into this country with my eyes closed! You think real terrorists are this stupid? Try a speedboat from Cuba... or a small cessna ... or British Columbia. The media is making the story for everyone. And I for one am sick of the hyperbole they spew.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth, Northwest flies from Jakarta to DTW via stop-off's in Changi (Singapore) and Narita (Tokyo).
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hmmm, I don't buy this.... Try to find a flight originating in Indonesia that flys into DTW. Sounds like a good excuse for more homefront-defending dollars.

"Look everyone! this is paying off already!"
View Quote
DUH!!  Did it say a DIRECT flight????  NO!!!!  What, you can't get to Detroit from Indonesia?

Some people are as bad as the media, going off half cocked with BS.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#5]
After watching the movie "Training Day" last night with Denzel Washington, it makes me wonder how much money he REALLY HAD on him...

Interesting that it was only Cashier's Checks.  What about the cash?????  A million here, a million there...

[chainsawkill]

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys need to read the fine print, he had $12 million in couterfit checks!! Not real money. That is the key problem is that counterfit checks are bad on the economy for every one.

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You guys need to read the fine print, he had $12 million in couterfit checks!! Not real money. That is the key problem is that counterfit checks are bad on the economy for every one.

[beer]
View Quote

I bet $12M wouldn't be bad for HIS economy!  LOL.  Glad they caught the murderous bastard.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
another victim of the Patriot Act [sarcasm]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
And for any of you guys from the Detroit area, this sob was from DEARBORN!!!!!!  Shocking!

just to let the rest of you in on Michigan's dirty little secret:  Dearborn has the highest concentration of Arabs outside of the middle east
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a lotta change for a pizza delivery guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top