Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2012 10:12:27 AM EDT
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/highest-paying-jobs-in-the-u-s-.html

Oddly, most of these jobs require Science, Medical or High end Business degrees. Wake up 99%ers..your History/*insert gender/race* studies/Sociology degrees are worth nada.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Should read:

Union Leadership
Police Chief
Senator
Public School Administrator
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#2]
My occupation could be on that list. Master of Towing Vessels(US Merchant Marine Officer). No college education needed. $110,000 to $150,000( I'm somewhere in the middle), depending on routes licensed for and type of vessel. Around 30,000 of us in the U.S.  From entrance into the industry to that level can be done in less than 6 years by a motivated individual.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oddly, most of these jobs require Science, Medical or High end Business degrees. Wake up 99%ers..your History/*insert gender/race* studies/Sociology degrees are worth nada.

They're off by a factor of about 2 on anesthesiologists (at least in private practice) and missed the much higher paying medical specialties, like orthopaedics who do surgery (which is most of them) and neurosurgeons. $800K is a shitty year for many of those around here.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you say so.
I'm doing really well with my English degree.

If the 99%ers are bitching that their History degrees aren't earning them a living, they very obviously aren't trying hard enough and can't think outside of the box.

All of those other degrees are worth exactly what you're capable of making them into.  Like everything else, but that's just like my opinion.. man.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you say so.

If the 99%ers are bitching that their History degrees aren't earning them a living, they very obviously aren't trying hard enough and can't think outside of the box.

All of those other degrees are worth exactly what you're capable of making them into.  Like everything else, but that's just like my opinion.. man.

As always, there will be exceptions. Motivated people do well, no matter. We are talking about the "99%" type who thinks that their degree means they automatically get a good paying job.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you say so.

As always, there will be exceptions. Motivated people do well, no matter. We are talking about the "99%" type who thinks that their degree means they automatically get a good paying job.
10-4

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My occupation could be on that list. Master of Towing Vessels(US Merchant Marine Officer). No college education needed. $110,000 to $150,000( I'm somewhere in the middle), depending on routes licensed for and type of vessel. Around 30,000 of us in the U.S.  From entrance into the industry to that level can be done in less than 6 years by a motivated individual.

Again..key word..MOTIVATED.

Most of those 99% types would not want to put the work into it to get to that level as they think that they are entitled to a high paying job just for breathing or getting a easy degree.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#8]
barrycare will fix number 1 and 2.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

barrycare will fix number 1 and 2.

yep, my sister, who is only 55 years-old Family Practice physician is thinking really hard about retiring in 2014
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you say so.

Yeah, and Michael Dell, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are doing even better with no degree at all.

Statistical Sampling, how does it work?  They probably do not teach it in English class.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you say so.

Yeah, and Michael Dell, Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are doing even better with no degree at all.

Statistical Sampling, how does it work?  They probably do not teach it in English class.

Precisely the points that I've made many, many times if you've followed my postings in threads like this.  I'm very much a promoter of entrepreneurial desire and accomplishment.

Don't be condescending as it only makes you look like a twat.  If you hadn't snipped off the bottom of my post you'd see that it covers things already.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Airline pilot is on the list!

With a starting pay of $14,000 a year, it's hard to see that working out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#13]
no mention of propane pumpers or FFLs

now i know why i is po'
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you say so.

Precisely the points that I've made many, many times if you've followed my postings in threads like this.  I'm very much a promoter of entrepreneurial desire and accomplishment.

Don't be condescending as it only makes you look like a twat.  If you hadn't snipped off the bottom of my post you'd see that it covers things already.

The best fringe benefit of being an engineer, is being condescending.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again..key word..MOTIVATED.

Most of those 99% types would not want to put the work into it to get to that level as they think that they are entitled to a high paying job just for breathing or getting a easy degree.

It would be the accountability, responsibility and professionalism that makes it so hard. The rise of mediocrity, it is here, alive and living well now.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're off by a factor of about 2 on anesthesiologists (at least in private practice) and missed the much higher paying medical specialties, like orthopaedics who do surgery (which is most of them) and neurosurgeons. $800K is a shitty year for many of those around here.

I'd question a lot of their figures.   Average for a Fam Practice, Internal Med, or Pediatrician is about $165k as of the last salary survey (up to $10k average bonuses on top of that) across the US...and those are the Primary Care Physicians (most common)...and they work 52 average hours/wk to get that.    

This made me laugh:  
Orthodontists—whose specialty is straightening teeth—have an average salary of $90,120 a year. That figure might seem low but it takes into account orthdontists that don't have a private practice and work instead in general medicine and surgical hosptials.
  I don't know that I've seen ANY orthodontist not have a private practice (i.e....that practices exclusively in a hospital).

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#17]
1,2, and 5 do come with a boatload of debt and a boatload of time investments.
Plus, lawyers are apparently saturated right now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I knw a guy that raced sailboats for people.

Yes he drove your boat in races, for money.

He made 30K a pop for transpac races and the owner paid for hotel and flight back.
Oddly enough he moved to New Zealand and became a citizen there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This made me laugh:  
Orthodontists—whose specialty is straightening teeth—have an average salary of $90,120 a year. That figure might seem low but it takes into account orthdontists that don't have a private practice and work instead in general medicine and surgical hosptials.
  I don't know that I've seen ANY orthodontist not have a private practice (i.e....that practices exclusively in a hospital).

AFARR

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out. Maybe at a university/teaching hospital with a dental program. Otherwise I can't imagine why an orthodontist would be a general hospitalist or employed by a hospital. In fact I can't imagine that they even need to do much IN a hospital unless they're doing the really heavy-duty edge of things that get into oral surgery and such.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I call bullshit on "natural sciences degrees needing a Bachelor's."

You'll be able to get something entry-level, and 12 years ago it helped that my sister had interned every year she was in college, but if you want to work for someplace like the Field Museum here in Chicago, they won't talk to you unless you have a Master's.

So that's why she went back to school and is now a tenured science teacher.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I knw a guy that raced sailboats for people.

Yes he drove your boat in races, for money.

He made 30K a pop for transpac races and the owner paid for hotel and flight back.
Oddly enough he moved to New Zealand and became a citizen there.

People get paid just to sail yachts from one place to another. Hell, there are people who make a living doing nothing but dressing up and showing other peoples' dogs at conformation shows and even specialize in showing particular breeds.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Shit!!  #4?  now everyone will be getting degrees in petroleum engineering....  I thought this was my little secret.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#23]

hmmm. somehow, i figured "actor", "newscaster", "professional athlete", and "politician" all would have been at the top of that list...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top