Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2012 12:18:16 AM EDT
Back in the 90's, I wanted to get an AR-15 before the ban went into effect.  In those days, I didn't have too much in the way of funding
for this endeavor, so I had to think about the best way to spend my money.

My purpose for buying this rifle was for home defense, and possible "SHTF" utility. Being that I lived in an urban big city, I didn't see
the need for long range capability, and it needed to be useful indoors possibly. I decided to go with a 16 inch A2 carbine. Why an A2,
you ask? Well, I didn't anticipate any glass for this rifle, as I couldn't afford it, and most of the backup iron sights for flat tops just seemed
less robust than the integrated front sight base and carry handle sight. It just seemed sturdier, and less prone to losing zero, and also
cost less.

Not only that, but the carry handle and A2 front sight just looked like a classic M-16 to me. To make a long story short, I ran the rifle
through a 2 day course, and she performed nicely even with USGI metal mags.

Here she is, along with a G23 and a couple Emerson folders and a NiteCore defender. I'm not at home, so I can't use my decent camera
to take a better pic. I had this pic on my phone, so it will have to do.

Any other A2 owners out there happy with theirs? I do plan on getting an M4gery upper setup in the near future though.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's an AWB scare buy, then why is it AWB compliant?

Get a bayonet lug, and threaded barrel on that beast ASAP!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm not sure you're picking up what he is laying down...

Nice OP, I'd shoot it!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I wasn't specific enough in my post, so I see what you're saying. It wasn't the Clinton ban, this was before the California ban
went into effect. I should have said that. D'oh! So it's not a "pre-ban" rifle. Those were a fortune back then. I posted in too much
of a hurry. herp derp.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't specific enough in my post, so I see what you're saying. It wasn't the Clinton ban, this was before the California ban
went into effect. I should have said that. D'oh! So it's not a "pre-ban" rifle. Those were a fortune back then. I posted in too much
of a hurry. herp derp.

Had no idea you were in California. Didn't click. Derrrrp on my part.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Good looking rifle OP. Keep shooting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:05:17 AM EDT
[#6]
What do you mean "even with USGI metal mags"? Nearly 10 years active duty I recall very few issues with issue mags.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

of a hurry. herp derp.

Had no idea you were in California. Didn't click. Derrrrp on my part.

Nah, you didn't derp, I herp'd.  Was in Cali at the time. Can own whatever I want now.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What do you mean "even with USGI metal mags"? Nearly 10 years active duty I recall very few issues with issue mags.

Wasn't meant to talk shit about USGI mags, just that this was pre-magpul, which is shown in the rifle in the pic. USGI mags were
fine as long as they had decent followers.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:47:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My purpose for buying this rifle was for home defense, and possible "SHTF" utility. Being that I lived in an urban big city, I didn't see
the need for long range capability, and it needed to be useful indoors possibly. I decided to go with a 16 inch A2 carbine. Why an A2,
you ask? Well, I didn't anticipate any glass for this rifle, as I couldn't afford it, and most of the backup iron sights for flat tops just seemed
less robust than the integrated front sight base and carry handle sight. It just seemed sturdier, and less prone to losing zero, and also
cost less.

Not only that, but the carry handle and A2 front sight just looked like a classic M-16 to me. To make a long story short, I ran the rifle
through a 2 day course, and she performed nicely even with USGI metal mags.

Regardless of how the gear guys like to promote their latest pimped out safe queen purchases, there is nothing wrong with a stock weapon.
The military ran a weapon in that configuration for decades before collapsible stocks, optics etc became common
No need to sound so apologetic

Quoted:

Some people here talk down about GI mags. So if you're running standard GI mags it may almost seem ghetto to some...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top