Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2012 7:42:10 PM EDT
Would you attempt climbing it?
Worth it?  Worth the money or chance of dieing for something that isn't a "frontier" anymore.

I always knew it was dangerous, but I am watching a show on netflix. People are dropping like flies.

Hmmm.  Just came up with a new reality show. Celebrity Everest.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No desire.  Not even a tiny bit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What's crazy is I am young, healthy, strong, determined, etc but after watching a lot of docs about it I can admit that I DO NOT think I could make it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Beck Weathers says no.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Would like to try Denali before I am 40.  Don't think I'll ever do Everest but if I was able to get the time off work and my son was old enough, hell yes I'd give that big fucker my best.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Beck Weathers says no.

So does this fella.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Beck Weathers says no.

One hardcore motherfucker, he is.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
It seems a bit retarded to die for nothing.

But the other stubborn side of me taunts me into shit like this.

Of course, as I get older, that side's voice diminishes in volume.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Never, simply for the fact that you can be killed through no fault of your own or nature, due to overcrowding and amaturers on the mountain.

Read Into Thin Air and Dark Summit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#9]
No desire whatsoever
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a little lame that a sherpa carries all your shit for you.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
No.  There are too many names and faces in my mind of climbers and mountaineers who have died due to objective hazard –– things not under their control.  I've talked with experienced, hardened mountaineers and heard tales where they honestly believed their jig was up.  8000-meter peaks –– as thrilling as it is to read the exploits in a book –– are not in my future.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#12]
If I had the time and money, I'd make the attempt to get to camp IV on the South Col.  Beyond that, I really have no desire to go.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No.  There are too many names and faces in my mind of climbers and mountaineers who have died due to objective hazard –– things not under their control.  I've talked with experienced, hardened mountaineers and heard tales where they honestly believed their jig was up.  8000-meter peaks –– as thrilling as it is to read the exploits in a book –– are not in my future.  

I drive 56 miles each way to work every day on Death Race I25.  As I get older, I realize I'd rather take a fall on the Lhotse Face or catch a serac in the ice fall than get smoked by some jerkoff changing lanes without looking.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Not just no, but fuck no!
It looks cold up there...
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#15]
No way.

Edit - Have flown a jet a few laps around Denali though.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I drive 56 miles each way to work every day on Death Race I25.  As I get older, I realize I'd rather take a fall on the Lhotse Face or catch a serac in the ice fall than get smoked by some jerkoff changing lanes without looking.

I understand and respect that.  It's not the first time I've heard that point of view.  Maybe, living in Boulder, some of the deaths hit too close to home:  I've been to informal talks, seen them around the gym, met them, whatever.  A couple have really been jolting.  Alex Lowe, Jonny Copp, and Craig Luebben come to mind.  Stone-cold competent, salt of the earth guys, and . . . shit happened.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been to the Everest region. Never got above 18000 feet. Spectacular scenery.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Even the people that come back with all their ears, noses, toes and fingers still suffer effects from oxygen deprivation.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beck Weathers says no.

One hardcore motherfucker, he is.  

IIRC, he was - quite literally - left for dead at least two, or maybe even three different times up there, but he somehow managed to keep going.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Try K2 instead... Or Annapurna

Everest is like disneyworld...

Now Vincent Massive would be interesting just for location
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Way too many other things on my bucket list that.....probably.....won't kill me if I make the slightest mistake.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have a friend who got deep into the shit there when a storm blew in.  The team got to the point of recording final messages to their loved ones to be recovered later.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Worth it?  Worth the money or chance of dieing for something that isn't a "frontier" anymore.

I always knew it was dangerous, but I am watching a show on netflix. People are dropping like flies.

Check out "Frontline: Storm Over Everest" if you haven't seen it.  Also, "Into Thin Air" was a pretty good book, and there's the rebuttal to it called, "The Climb".  Both by climbers who summited in 1994.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't really like cold weather and it is plenty cold here in the winter so no, no desire at all. Plus like having all my fingers and toes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a friend who got deep into the shit there when a storm blew in.  The team got to the point of recording final messages to their loved ones to be recovered later.

I read a great book recently on K2 about the big disaster there a few years ago when the Serac fell and wiped out everybody struggling in the bottleneck.  Thats one mean mountain. Everest seems like a joke in comparison to a few of the other 8000 peaks.

Touching the Void is a great movie and book by Joe Simpson on their climb gone wrong on Siula Grande where he broke his leg and then fell into a crevasse, then managed over a few days to crawl off the mountain and across a glacier field and lived.  Great read.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No desire whatsoever

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Bet there's some pretty good gear left up there. Waste not want not.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read a great book recently on K2 about the big disaster there a few years ago when the Serac fell and wiped out everybody struggling in the bottleneck.  Thats one mean mountain. Everest seems like a joke in comparison to a few of the other 8000 peaks.

Touching the Void is a great movie and book by Joe Simpson on their climb gone wrong on Siula Grande where he broke his leg and then fell into a crevasse, then managed over a few days to crawl off the mountain and across a glacier field and lived.  Great read.

I have Touching the Void on audiobook.  Didn't care for the narator's voice, but a great book nonetheless.  Really had the will to live no matter what.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have Touching the Void on audiobook.  Didn't care for the narator's voice, but a great book nonetheless.  Really had the will to live no matter what.

Yeah mountaineering is a pretty limiting past time. You look at the main characters in all the books and most are dead by the time they are 40...
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Everest is an easy climb.
Old women and little children have summited.
If you have about $65,000 then the mountain can be yours.
Your risk is mostly the weather if you can hack the altitude.

Now go climb K2 or try Everest solo without oxygen like Reinhold Messner.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Messner isnt quite a normal person
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

First post.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Another idea:

Take a team of sherpas and train em to ride bikes.  Dominate cycling events.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Would like to try Denali before I am 40.  Don't think I'll ever do Everest but if I was able to get the time off work and my son was old enough, hell yes I'd give that big fucker my best.

Hope you don't like your fingers, ears, nose and anything else that will get frost bite and fall off. That is IF you live to come down again. Odds are not very good.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Messner isnt quite a normal person

No he isn't and he's also smart enough to have quit while he was ahead.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What show? Everest and all the other 8k+ meter mountains have always fascinated me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#37]
No desire at all.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What show? Everest and all the other 8k+ meter mountains have always fascinated me.

Everest: beyond the limit. It's a series. Kinda cool.

There are some others I will be watching too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Mt. Everest is for pussies.  K2 is the ball breaker.  Lots more have died climbing K2 than Everest, I heard on a show the other day.  Mt. Everest is famous because it's the tallest mountain on Earth, not because it's the more technically challenging climb.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll stick with backpacking in west Texas.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I bet the Sherpas have no problem climbing the mountain.

Mean while...Everyone else struggles

Hell, back in they day, nobody used oxygen masks....
Modern people have become pussies
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#43]
i don't want to join Mallory on Everest. Screw that. That is a mountain that if you mess up on , you don't come back down they leave you right where you fall.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#44]
No desire at all.  I have hiked to the peak of some small mountains and it was cool.  I also used to rappel into some of the worlds deepest caves, kind of like exploring the inner mountain.  I have no need to die on that mountain.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I've gone climbing, spelunking, rapelling, it was all fun and I'd do some of it again but I have no interest in climbing something like Everest. I dont even understand the motivation people have to risk almost certain death doing that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd rather stick my flag in Mars. At least that would be accomplishing something.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Having never been into climbing and recently read "Into Thin Air" I wouldn't do it because, a) it is very expensive, b) you need plenty of vacation time from work, c) chance of dying from altitude related sickness is good, d) chance of dying from exposure/storm is good.

Honestly I think it would be a great challenge, but I have neither the money or physical abilities to even try it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Doesn't appeal to me.  I get why it appeals to some, though.

It's climbing in general that doesn't appeal to me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#49]
I have enough trouble on sea-level thankee sai.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:22:07 AM EDT
[#50]

You could always just take the helicopter ride to the summit.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top