Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 7:23:06 PM EDT
I used to live in a dry area and my safes remained at a constant 30 to 35% humidity... no rust problems ever.

I just moved to a wetter climate, my safes are currently sitting at 54% humidity. Is this too much?

A few of my nice older firearms are either blued or blued with a few small spots of bare metal. I don't want to worry about things rusting for long term storage. Will I be fine as is or should I take extra precautions with additional oil/grease?

I also keep a box and a bag of silica gel along with a couple plug in rechargable dehumidifiers and a golden rod in the safe.

It's a four+ hour job to lube up all my guns, would rather not have to do this every month...
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
you should be fine.  I kept mine in my safe in the garage with no AC in Savannah Ga with no issues.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Oil once a year. You should be fine.

A safe dehumidifier is cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Golden Rod FTW! Cheap insurance IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
my humidity is about the same year around, and i my SBR has the letters of my engraving bare and unpainted.  they still look as new and perfect as the day i had it done, no problems.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Your sbr is probably made from aluminum, which does rust, but the rust is not readily availible to see, and does not flake off, iron oxide is red and runs readily.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:47:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Humidity level in my basement averages 52-54% year round with a dehumidifier going. I also keep goldenrods in my 2 safes.
I've never had any problem with rust/corrosion/humidity in the 50% range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top