Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 6:39:45 PM EDT

GOP critical of Navy's 'Great Green Fleet', $26 a gallon fuel

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/02/gop-in-congress-critical-navy-great-green-fleet/#ixzz1zWVhmgyy

The Navy is steaming ahead with an initiative to power ships with biofuel, despite criticism the so-called “green fuel” costs nearly seven times more than conventional fuel.

This month marks the first time the Navy is using biofuel in an operational setting –– sending five ships to a multi-nation exercise off the coast of Hawaii.

A Navy official told FoxNews.com on Monday that sailing the so-called “Great Green Fleet” this month on the 50-50 blend of alternative and conventional fuel is part of Navy Secretary Ray Mabus’ plan to have half the Navy fleet on alternative fuel by 2020.

The spokesman also confirmed the fuel –– which does not require engine modifications –– costs $26 a gallon compared to $3.60 a gallon for conventional fuel.

We are going to spend ourselves down to nothing.  One party is a freight train and the other is a bullet train.  The end result is the same.  Only the pace is different.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
They are building a solar power plant here at LeJeune. Right outside the front gate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm actually kind of glad this is going on.

At some point, maybe people will wake the fuck up.

Doubtful, but hope springs eternal in the human breast.

LC
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My city utility built a big solar plant.  At least they charge extra (OPTIONAL) for "windtricity."  If I were in charge I'd strip this spending spree to the bare essentials and postpone some EPA initiatives for a little while or indefinitely, depending on what they are.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Dependence on oil is a strategic vulnerability. This is a smart move on the part of the Navy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dependence on oil is a strategic vulnerability. This is a smart move on the part of the Navy.

Analysis isn't your strong point, is it?

LC
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Analysis isn't your strong point, is it?

LC

don't you understand this will just make the navy realize it is to expensive to use oil to begin with? and we will have wind powered ships. now THAT is green energy...............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top