Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 6:39:28 PM EDT

The new provisions for funding private and parochial schools has quickly
devolved into a war of words over religion. Even though millions of
dollars are being made available to dozens of schools with overt
religious agendas, some Republicans balked at the last minute when it was revealed that a private Islamic school had also applied for 38 vouchers under the new program:

Rep. Kenneth Havard, R-Jackson, objected to including the Islamic School
of Greater New Orleans in a list of schools approved by the education
department to accept as many as 38 voucher students. Havard said he
wouldn’t support any spending plan that "will fund Islamic teaching.”

"I won’t go back home and explain to my people that I supported this,” he said.

Reuters reported
earlier this month that some of the parochial schools that stand to
benefit the most intersperse biblical teachings directly into math,
science and reading curricula, often at the expense of an actual
education.

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2012/06/12/498203/louisiana-vouchers-islam/

Loch. Ness. Monster. - TS

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting to see what derp the religious folks come up with to support this one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If we are going to fund christian schools with public funds we have to fund muslim and hindu and druid and all the others. Fair is fair.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If we are going to fund christian schools with public funds we have to fund muslim and hindu and druid and all the others. Fair is fair.

Jim

Simple as that....
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

Simple as that....
Can't disagree with this one.

Some animals are more equal and all that

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Go find a madrassa in Pakistan if you want a real Islamic education.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Last I checked, Muslims aren't exempt from paying taxes.  No reason to be exempt from vouchers either.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Good. Anything to slow the disease.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Last I checked, Muslims aren't exempt from paying taxes.  No reason to be exempt from vouchers either.

Well, they are exempt from paying for obamacare.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, they are exempt from paying for obamacare.

Oh damn, you are correct sir!  

I should say they are not exempt from paying the taxes that go towards education.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Simple as that....

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]
And here we go with why incorporation is stupid. Until SCOTUS started making crap up at the beginning of the 20th century and into the 40s (in this type of case), states were free to do these sorts of things. It may shock and astound the easily offended and self-righteous morality haters here, but part of a state's responsibility is to promote morality.

States should have the authority to do things like this. Within the frameworks of their own constitutions, of course. Don't like it? Move to another state. Yay federalism!

But of course the same people who deride big government and complain ad nauseum about government interference have no problem with the Court simply making crap up and telling the people of each state how to live. It's cool when it's five or six guys in robes but TYRANNY! when it's an elected and representative legislature.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Laws are double-edged swords.

And I am continually amazed at how many people want to flail around with those swords, without understanding how they're going to cut themselves.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Jim

No we don't- that is the amazing thing about it. TAX PAYERS can choose what they want their representatives to do with those tax dollars instead of the representatives telling us what they are going to do with our taxes. This country is about to do a right face unlike anything we have ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]
^^^  ONLY IF the people are allowed to CHOOSE.  That option is being taken away pretty quickly.  We HAD a Congress, Senate, and Supreme Court.  YOU WILL do as told.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Simple as that....

Refuse to fund school vouchers to schools where religion is part of the curriculum, problem solved.

I do not wish to fund a ma-dross nor do I wish to fund a school where real science is not taught.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#16]
there are some Islamic organizations that launder money for terrorist groups. just gotta make sure these schools arent part of these organizations.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Simple as that....

Refuse to fund school vouchers to schools where religion is part of the curriculum, problem solved.

I do not wish to fund a ma-dross nor do I wish to fund a school where real science is not taught.

I went to a Christian school. We had chapel on Monday mornings, a chaplain, prayers, etc. Also had one of the best science departments in the area. Studied evolution in the various biology classes. Chemistry and Physics were also pure science. Nearly every AP class was offered. Even if there weren't enough students for one, you were allowed to do independent study. I went into college with 22 credit hours from AP courses.

Maybe other Christian school teach stupid crap in biology class. So what? What percentage of American high school students go on to do something where evolution/creation means jack?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#18]
What the fuck. I email a guy on craigslist tell him I'm interested in his cars and I have cash in hand. Tells me the best place time to stop by would be tomorrow.

Got a text earlier saying one of the cars sold. Shortly after that I get a call that he sold the other one. WTF?

Fucking weird traffic across the street from me. The car I just sold 2 weeks ago was out front parked in the middle lane.  Just sat there and idled for a few min then took off in first gear for 4 or 5 blocks unusual traffic in the parking lot behind the vet.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

Simple as that....

Why do you think vouchers are so popular?

And click on "Loch. Ness. Monster." above.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Jim

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What the fuck. I email a guy on craigslist tell him I'm interested in his cars and I have cash in hand. Tells me the best place time to stop by would be tomorrow.

Got a text earlier saying one of the cars sold. Shortly after that I get a call that he sold the other one. WTF?

Fucking weird traffic across the street from me. The car I just sold 2 weeks ago was out front parked in the middle lane.  Just sat there and idled for a few min then took off in first gear for 4 or 5 blocks unusual traffic in the parking lot behind the vet.

What?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

Another victim of tabbed browsing?

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Or a virus.

I'm of the opinion that if Congress has made no law concerning the establishment of or prohibited free excercise of religion, the issue of what type of schools get what funds should be left to the taxpayers in that state. The feds can keep their(our) money and send it to other states for their inner city re-education/ indoctrination programs.  When ALL Constitutional amendments are applied equally and not piecemeal according to political whims and not the will of the taxpaying voters, I MAY revisit my opinions.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Laws are double-edged swords.

And I am continually amazed at how many people want to flail around with those swords, without understanding how they're going to cut themselves.

This.

Either you're for liberty or you're not.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

No we don't- that is the amazing thing about it. TAX PAYERS can choose what they want their representatives to do with those tax dollars instead of the representatives telling us what they are going to do with our taxes. This country is about to do a right face unlike anything we have ever seen.
Yeah, fuck "Equality Before the Law"...  Yeah for Mobocracy!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top