Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2012 2:01:24 PM EDT
Update edit Bump for Veterans Day. Remember all who served  those that gave their last full measure. Still proud of those willing to serve these days even more.

Update edit:2nd  additional photos in my reply posts ~19 post after OP, and 3rd add pics ~8post after that.
4th set pics in ~post 37

from Massachusetts this past weekend. I thought they had been lost for almost 6 yrs .

What happened was my Dad died in 1998, my sister inherited his house in a transfer before his illness years before. I left the family items all in her care without though of an issue. She was going to

make me copies or I could arrange that in a later visit. Things happened in my family situation to put the trip from FL to MA off . She didn't make copies.

Looking back I should have taken everything I wanted with me back in '98.

In 2006 my sister fought for her life against pancreatic cancer. She lost.

I was up there for an extended visit with her in the Spring and returned a few weeks later for her funeral. Again the pictures were not in the forfrony of my thoughts.

Later I called and asked my BIL for them.

He said I should already have them as there was nothing left up there with him. He got rid of everything he didn't want and thought I has all that I wanted with me.

I regreted my decisions for several years after  that call, then last year after Christmas he told me "Oh I have these old things of my Dad's laying around in his basement. Did i want them?"

Damn, Send them. He never did. Every month I'd call and ask if he had mailed them ( I was always worried to death about that too) or shipped them UPS. He said he didn't do things fast. And he had

some difficulty in finding a proper shipping box to fit everything. I thought "?????????ETF?" but told him Nevermind, I'll go up there myself and take them back with me.

Maybe he just wanted a visit , He'd remarried as of 4yrs ago so maybe his new wife was minimizing his past connections. I don't know. I didn't care. I went. The soonest I could get time off from work

schedules that would give me a 4 day+ weekend was this past weekend.

it was surreal returning to MA after the Thursday ObamaTaxCare decision. They sure seem more sheeple- ish since the last visit there 6 yrs ago

So after some slight panic (by me)over the Boston Logan TSA (long scrutiny but no unpacking and search)  airline baggage I have them at last.

Here's some of them

My Dad

Some Garand Goodness, my Dad on right

Newspaper clipping from story during war, convoy of Trucks my Dad was in at the time.

Pictures he took at the time, Same place maybe.

During one of the epic campaigns of World War II, early in 1944 the 5307th Composite Unit (Provisional), better known as "Merrill's Marauders," had crossed hundreds of miles of rugged mountain terrain to seize the Japanese airfield at Myitkyina on May 17. Unfortunately for us, the campaign to take the airfield had been so severe that only a handful of the original Marauders were able to continue the fight. One of their officers commented that his men were falling asleep while under enemy rifle fire. The situation was critical. General Stilwell refused to ask the British for help, insisting that American and Chinese forces should capture the town. On May 24, unable to secure Myitkyina with the troops available, in desperation he called upon the only combat-trained American troops available, the 209th and 236th Engineer Combat battalions
source :209th Combat Engineers building the Ledo Road   2nd Link

link:CBI history US Army Combat Engineers

The 209th Engineer Combat Battalion had, on V-J Day, spent 24 months overseas, having left the United States on September 9, 1943. At war's end, the battalion was one of the most decorated in the CBI Theatre. Their awards included one Distinguished Service Cross, four Silver Stars, 33 Bronze Stars and 181 Purple Hearts.

Capt. Charles Steenburg presents Bronze Star Medal to T/3 John Maczko
of the 209th Medical Detachment. Locale is Burma. Photo by the author.

My Dad is standing 4th from left in front center. Here he must have been presented his Purle Heart as this group all have awards.

Group of 209th men with two Burmese bearers at Tinghawk.
Photo by James Myers.

Source:
LinkMore 209th Army Combat Engineers history

Original picture he  has probably from offical photographer? My Dad is 2nd row from bottom, 2nd from left.

I'll post more pics later

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing,awesome photos.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]

muslium brotherhood?

Dead Japanese soldier

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool thank you for sharing
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for sharing your pics of an important time in our history.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Great pics, thanks.  BTW that was a photo-rec P-38.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazing.

Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Great pics, thank you!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool stuff!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Neat pics, thanks. I hope that's a mongoose not a possum, otherwise, he's screwed.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for sharing some great photos. That P-38
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the photos.

My dad was a Combat Engineer in the Pacific. Was in a couple invasions and built airstrips and roads. I wish he had taken pics back then. He died one year ago today.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the pictures.  always like to see and read about history
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
My grandfather flew the CBI during WWII as a flight engineer, I need to get some of his pics and post 'em up.

Thanks for the pics OP!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]
the burma road is an amazing story.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I read a lot about the "Hump".  It was crazy to read that you could just follow the trail of shredded aluminum to get to where you were going.  Wow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for posting the pics.

Picture of P-38 is of a recon model. Can't figure out what particular version, but, very cool!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#19]
what always sticks out to me in these type of pics is how soldiers look to be about 20 pounds lighter than today...

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#20]
3rd update
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

Moar pics. Slow going as the uploading and post load clean up ,rotations etc is tedious and frustrating. computer keeps locking up

I'm still researching the history of the 209th and all they did, so anyone that knows anything about these pics please chime in.

I feel it's important to post for my Dad and other WWII vets who are gone now and slowly fading from active memories of the living. It's my way of keeping the memories alive.

Another dead Japanese soldier

I'm not sure what this is-Japanese defensive positions?

Best Regards,
TDK
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:09:25 AM EDT
[#21]
what kind of mini tank/tractor  is that?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Great pics!  Thanks for sharing.

Makes me wonder how many millions of photos are sitting forgotten in the back of closets and attics all over this country.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Awesome pics
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My grandfather flew the CBI during WWII as a flight engineer, I need to get some of his pics and post 'em up.

Thanks for the pics OP!

That 's great. You need to post 'em. Start a thread or post some here. either way I'd like to see them.

Best Regards,
TDK
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Your pops was a bad ass, thanks for the pics and back story.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Great photos.

Second picture in, guy with the thompson looks just like "Snafu" Shelton from "The Pacific" series on HBO.  I think it's the eyes.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Excellent !  Thanks for posting those photos.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#28]
update 3rd
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Hindu funeral pyre, maybe?

From an article written by a member who served with the 209th
209th Link to rest of story

"   Our first major offensive could properly be called a failure. Early in June, we were ordered to neutralize a 75mm gun emplacement that was creating havoc among the Chinese troops that were supporting us. Reconnaissance told us that a platoon of Japanese soldiers stood between us and the gun. Since it was almost dark, we decided to wait until dawn before trying to seize the position. We did not consider that the enemy troops might have had plans of their own.

Whatever sleep we might have gotten was interrupted at 2300 hours by a volley of rifle fire. Orange tracers cut through the darkness. One of our machine guns opened up, answered by the rapid chatter of a Japanese light machine gun. Flares bathed the area in bright light. I saw the Japanese coming toward us –– silently, not a banzai attack but slowly and deliberately, as though they expected little opposition. I held my rifle with the sling wrapped around my arm, just as I had learned in boot camp, knelt and waited until I saw them clearly. I started firing and kept firing until there were no more Japanese in front of me. They stopped shooting flares. I stared into the darkness, but all I could see or hear was the whimpering and groaning of the wounded. Our medics were busy that night.

At dawn the enemy decided to kill us from a distance. A big artillery piece opened up. I heard a rush of air as something big whizzed past me, then a loud explosion somewhere behind me. They had not found the range yet. Despite this bit of good fortune, we knew we were outgunned and outnumbered, and the decision was made to retreat.

An airstrike was called in at 0900. An hour later, a formation of three North American P-51 Mustangs swooped toward us, flying low and fast. Several of us were resting in a clearing when they reached us. The lead plane had barely cleared the trees when he fired a quick burst. The second plane followed suit. The last plane fired a moment too soon. Bullets spattered the ground next to me. It happened so fast that I had no time to react. One of our cooks rolled on the ground, holding his stomach and repeating over and over: "Oh, God. Oh, my God." A sergeant from the motor pool screamed: "I'm hit! I'm hit! My legs!" He was hit in both legs, but he lived to return home an amputee. Our commander, normally a mild-mannered man, was angry. I heard both sides of the ensuing conversation. "Don't come back, you SOB. You shot my men!" The pilot replied, "Sorry." In his defense I would say hitting a target in the jungle must be virtually impossible. In the end, however, it was not air power that silenced the gun but another concerted attack by Company A
. "

Don't know how much was 'war story' telling to me as a 11 yr old, but I remember my Dad showing me this album while telling me how an American plane did just that -fired to soon, but kept making passes too soon , they had enough and he and the others shot the plane down. A P-40 he said,which having recently seen the movie ;'The Flying Tigers" horrified me. He simply and calmly explained, " It was either me and my friends or him(the Pilot)
Someone had to die.
Anyway, here's the picture that brought up the story, and some related downed aircraft.

P-40 wreck

Maybe a rescue or body recovery series of pics, I don't recall that story entirely,obviously a different plane  not a P-40, not sure what it is.

Best Regards,
TDK
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I still have a lot more pics from the album.

I don't know if I should post even moar large file pics in this thread or not .

I could just start a new thread later.

What should I do Arfcom?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Keep posting until someone or something makes you stop.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Great pics..!!

MOAR...!!!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#33]
My father was an Army Combat Engineer in India, Burma, and China during World War 2 also.  I have no information on which outfit he was in other than that.

He died in 1980.  I have pictures of him in uniform but no pictures of him in Asia.

He didn't talk about his experiences in the war too much.  I do remember him talking about seeing lots of snakes over there.  I also remember him telling me that at the end, they were ordered to turn over their trucks to the Chinese, who promptly crashed them trying to descend mountain roads.

Thanks for the pictures and please post more if you can.

Are there any websites with good information or name lists related to this?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Great pics..!!

MOAR...!!!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#35]
What's that snake eating, possum?

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#36]
my dad served in the army air corps in burma and was a radio operator and whatever else was needed on a cargo plane flying resupply to troops over the hump. I never saw much or heard much about what he did other then even when racked by malaria he still did his job as did all around him. we had a lot more real men in those days

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My father was an Army Combat Engineer in India, Burma, and China during World War 2 also.  I have no information on which outfit he was in other than that.

He died in 1980.  I have pictures of him in uniform but no pictures of him in Asia.

He didn't talk about his experiences in the war too much.  I do remember him talking about seeing lots of snakes over there.  I also remember him telling me that at the end, they were ordered to turn over their trucks to the Chinese, who promptly crashed them trying to descend mountain roads.

Thanks for the pictures and please post more if you can.

Are there any websites with good information or name lists related to this?

Here are the links that I posted with in the pics, easy to overlook ,from which I quoted. My Dad had some of the same pics.

Best Regards
TDK

Building the Ledo Road

CIB Theater WW II history 330th Engineer Unit History

CBI Order of Battle

Hope these help. There are some great links on this site on the on this site the forgoten theater

Edit links to add another site with a forum of family of the Combat Engineeers etc who served in rhe CBI theater
and all the others
the forum link

Link to the site Combat engineeers of WW II

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Moar pics.

Not the best job of shooting this pic, I can't read wht's on handwriten sign on right too much. I 'll rery another copy later  tomorrow and see if it can be read.

My Dad

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Update 5 moar pics

My dad on Left

Best Regards.
TDK
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm happy you recovered your dads things.  Thanks for sharing those pictures.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I still have a lot more pics from the album.

I don't know if I should post even moar large file pics in this thread or not .

I could just start a new thread later.

What should I do Arfcom?

Quoted:

Moar today
4th  
Happy Independence Day to  all
Thanks to those who love and serve the USA

My Dad '46-7

My Dad and his Dodge '46 or '47

my Mom same Dodge

Top row: Lto R: My GrandPa my 1st cousin's wife my Mother, my Uncle's wife, my Grandpa's 3rd wife, my Uncle
Front row kneeling L to R: my 1st cousin, his daughter, my Sister, Me
a  family celebration (Grandpa's birthday-my Dad took the pic) May 1961-2
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
thanks for the pictures.  always like to see and read about history

Very cool indeed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for posting

These photos are always interesting

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#44]
update7

My Dad in rear to right of soldier standing in center

Dad's cigarette case he used  CBI

My Dad on Right ~ '97 ,member VFW in MA

Republic of China World War II Service Medal**; American Campaign Medal - WW II  ,World War II  Victory Medal,
Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal - WWII    , Purple Heart, Army Good Conduct Medal      
the Presidential Unit Citation
World War II  Honorable Discharge “Ruptured Duck” Lapel Pin

Ex-CBI Roundup
February 1955 Issue
By Mr. Murray A. Massin

Source of quote

The 209th Engineer Combat Battalion had, on V-J Day, spent 24 months overseas, having left the United States on September 9, 1943. At war's end, the battalion was one of the most decorated in the CBI Theatre. Their awards included one Distinguished Service Cross, four Silver Stars, 33 Bronze Stars and 181 Purple Hearts.

The organization arrived in Ledo, Assam, after a trip across India by rail, truck and boat. Within a week they were set up for operations at Nawng Yang, Mile 43 on the Ledo Road, 15 miles from the point.

Throughout the next six months an amazing variety of tasks were carried out by various exponents of the outfit. They operated a saw mill at Nawng Yang; laid the first pipe line over Pang-saw Pass, which is the highest point on the Ledo Road; built a tank farm at Hell Gate, Installed the largest culvert system on the Road, at Thursday River; built and maintained a long stretch of roadway; and, finally, constructed bridges at the Tirao, Nam-chick, Nawng Yang, Tarung and Tawang Rivers.

The Tawang River Bridge, 37 miles south of Shingbwlyang, was the longest bridge on the Ledo Road. It was an American H-20 running 1285 feet across. In most cases, the deadlines set by the Commanding General were beaten by several days. In early March, the men of the 209th gaily waved on columns of Men-ill's Marauders as they passed down the road to begin their now famous jungle trek of nearly 1,000 miles. Had the Engineers known what fate had in store for them, their greetings to the Marauders would have been a great deal more solemn.
Soon afterward, the 10th Air Force began pressing for advance airfields in Burma, from which to support General Stilwell's ground advance toward Myitkyina, So, in April, the battalion took over the task of clearing airfields at Tingkawk, Sakan and Warazup. The first Purple Heart for the battalion was awarded to Pfc. Albert Hudy and Co. "A" on May 15th, when Jap planes bombed and strafed the Warazup airfield in a surprise attack.
Later on, attempts were made to airdrop supplies directly to the front lines. Many times the 209th was so deep in enemy territory that it was necessary for the retrievers to dash into open country under enemy fire. At one time, T/5 Ben Curtis made seven successive trips one afternoon under such conditions.
On May 28th, just two days after the Engineers arrived, the Marauders began to pull out, and the 209th took over their position on the Mogaung-Myitkyina Railroad over which the Japs were hoping to bring reinforcements. Meanwhile, General Stllwell's forces north of Myitkyina were preparing for the final push into the town.
The 209th then took up positions on the main road leading to Mogaung. The story has already been related of how three fully loaded Jap trucks drove right into this ambush and when the shooting was over, 89 Jap dead were counted.

On June 13th, Companies "A" and "B" were ordered to advance to a new position in the heart of Jap-held territory. The Japs recovered quickly and closed In behind the advance party, completely cutting them off from the rest of the battalion. For five days and nights these men were hopelessly surrounded. Numerous attempts by the remainder of the battalion, reinforced by the 236th, resulted only in heavy casualties and finally all hope of reaching the trapped men was abandoned.

Many acts of heroism occurred during this action. Sgt. Russell Ritter gave his life trying to bring up sorely needed ammunition. Lt. Col. Coombs, Regimental Commander, led one attempt himself but was mortally wounded. Sgt. George Sohn, Sgt. Dwight Holman, and Capt. John Mat-tina risked their lives to bring him and three other wounded men to safety, but the Colonel died soon afterward.
However, the men who were trapped did not despair so easily. Following a trail pioneered by S/Sgt. Lester Shockley of Co. "B" and led by Lt. Albert Falk, 85 of the men succeeded in finding their way to the main perimeter in small groups.
Some of the wounded were carried In by their buddies. Others never made It. Two outstanding cases of heroism were credited to Pfc. John Miller and T/4 Harvey Rodgers, each of whom burdened with a wounded mate became separated from the rest. Unknown to each other, they wandered within enemy lines for three days, but finally managed to bring both themselves and the wounded men to safety. They also brought back much valuable information concerning the enemy positions.

The 4th of July was celebrated, on orders from Headquarters, to fire a 60-second burst of all available weapons (including artillery) every hour on the hour. It is doubtful if the Japs ever realized what the shooting was all about.
At one time, two men who were sent forward to scout enemy positions were pinned down by Jap machine guns. S/Sgt. Frank Tynan and Pfc. Erwin Sieh, with several others, moved a machine gun to a spot where they diverted enemy fire, thus giving the trapped men a chance to escape.

On July 18th, General Stilwell visited the front line positions of the 209th and personally presented medals to several of the men whose outstanding acts of heroism had been recognized. Chief among these was the presentation of the Distinguished Service Cross, second highest combat award to S/Sgt. Alfred Miller of Co. "A." While in command of a forward machine gun post, the Japs made a violent attempt to overrun it. All of the men of Sgt. Miller's squad were wounded and had the Japs reached them, the Engineers would have been killed. Sgt. Miller charged the enemy with an arm full of hand grenades. His action was so violent that he succeeded in killing a large number of Japs, and routing the rest. He then evacuated all of his men to safety.
When General Stilwell arrived to present the medal, Sgt. Miller was wearing only a pair of underwear shorts. His uniform had just been washed. Major Edward Mellinger, Battalion Executive Officer, lent him a fatigue jacket, and thusly attired, he was presented to the General by Major Charles Christian.
Major Christian had taken over as Commanding Officer of the 209th when Col. Sandvall was wounded.
The 26th of July was a happy day. The first battalion of Infantry troops, known as the Galahads, came up to relieve the 209th and 236th. That completed 64 days under direct enemy fire for the 209th, but their task was not yet over. On July 30th, Co. "C" was ordered to the Irrawaddy River to block the attempts of many Japanese to evacuate the town by water. Machine guns were set up on motor boats and in two days they had killed an estimated 150 Japs and captured 50 prisoners. Lt. Tommy Ryan and the men of his platoon were credited with most of these. In another section, Cpl. Harvey Tohet of Co. "B" distinguished himself by knocking out a strong enemy position single handedly.

the 3d of August, all organized resistance ended in Myitkyina. This was the turning point in the North Burma campaign. Six days later, the 209th was flown back to Ledo for a much-needed rest. Of the original 26 officers and 522 enlisted men, only 15 officers and 182 enlisted men remained to be evacuated as a unit. Seventy-one had been killed in action and 181 were wounded. The remaining had been evacuated because of disease.

For its part in this important battle, the 209th was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation

***  A commemorative decoration of the Republic of China presented for service in China during World War II. My Dad didn't recieve it until '96 or '97
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks, so much for sharing part of your family history with us.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks, so much for sharing part of your family history with us.

Thank you for lookin'
I'm doing it as a sort of internet memorial for my Dad in a way that helps me deal with his loss, still painfull all these years.

Best Regards,
TDK
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well getting to the end of the stash now I need to make sure I not reposting dupe pics.
I'll get some moar up later tonight or at worst tomorrow to wrap it up.

I did have some other items from the recovery stash posted here
Some of my Dad's unidentified military ribbon collection- until arfcom solves mystery

Dad's mystery WWI collection piece -.Arfcom comes thru
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well getting to the end of the stash now I need to make sure I not reposting dupe pics.
I'll get some moar up later tonight or at worst tomorrow to wrap it up.

I did have some other items from the recovery stash posted here
Some of my Dad's unidentified military ribbon collection- until arfcom solves mystery

Dad's mystery WWI collection piece -.Arfcom comes thru

Wife unit had planed my Fri evening and night activities and . So I will pst remaining pics after sorting, and adjustment corrections  etc later today for certain.

But at least a bump for the weekend crew who might not have seen the pics.

Best Regards,

TDK
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for lookin'.

And I guess that the 1944 Pinup pic wasn't  a BOD viollation  material. She'd be 70-80 yrs old by now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top