Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2012 1:34:48 PM EDT
A bill that would require that public works contractors verify the legal status of their employees has finally made its way to the desk of Gov. Tom Corbett (R-PA), CBS Philly reports.

“This bill ensures that our workers aren‘t left on the unemployment lines because of workers who aren’t permitted to be here in the first place,” the bill’s author Sen. Kim Ward (R-PA) said during a Senate debate.

If signed by Gov. Corbett, public works contractors will be required by law to use the federal online “E-Verify” system. However, it’s important to note that the bill only affects publicly-funded programs. Private projects are exempt.

“The checks are aimed at making sure Social Security numbers haven‘t been stolen and that workers aren’t in the United States illegally,” the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

“Companies that intentionally hire illegal workers will face a variety of penalties, from a warning on the first offense to being banned from publicly funded projects for up to three years and facing fines of up to $1,000,” the report adds.

After six years of crafting, refining, and debating, Senate Bill 637 on Saturday won final approval from the Pennsylvania Senate in a 42-7 vote, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. With the bill’s passage, “state Labor and Industry Department will have to check to make sure that all contractors and subcontractors have verified that all their workers and prospective workers were born in the U.S. or are here legally,” the report adds.

But even though it passed with a heavy majority, a fistful of state Democrats (mostly from Philadelphia) still oppose the bill because, according them, it unfairly “targets” illegal immigrants.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pa-passes-bill-requiring-public-works-contractors-to-verify-the-legal-status-of-employees/
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]

But even though it passed with a heavy majority, a fistful of state Democrats (mostly from Philadelphia) still oppose the bill because, according them, it unfairly “targets” illegal immigrants.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pa-passes-bill-requiring-public-works-contractors-to-verify-the-legal-status-of-employees/

Can we just sell that place to New Jersey and be done with it? Please?

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]
“I believe the underlying rhetoric that we’ve heard continues a sad chapter in Americana,” said Philadelphia Democrat Michael O’Brien.

I heard the sound bite this morning on the local 1060 AM Radio, what the hell is Americana ?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If that were to happen, it would change the entire dynamic of PA politics.  And it would be AWESOME.  

But this bill is just another bill that won't be enforced anyway.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
“I believe the underlying rhetoric that we’ve heard continues a sad chapter in Americana,” said Philadelphia Democrat Michael O’Brien.

I heard the sound bite this morning on the local 1060 AM Radio, what the hell is Americana ?

Americana refers to artifacts, or a collection of artifacts, related to the history, geography, folklore and cultural heritage of the United States.[1][2] Many kinds of material fall within the definition of Americana: paintings, prints and drawings; license plates or entire vehicles, household objects, tools and weapons; plaques and statues, and so on. Patriotism and nostalgia play a defining role in the subject. The things involved need not be old, but need to have the appropriate associations. The term may be used to describe the theme of a museum or collection,[3][4] or of goods for sale.

The term can be used to describe studies of American culture - especially studies based in other countries.[5] Americana music loosely encompasses American folk music and related genres.

Just proves the dumbass doesn't know what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Queue Eric Holder and the DOJ in 3....2....1......
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Americana refers to artifacts, or a collection of artifacts, related to the history, geography, folklore and cultural heritage of the United States.[1][2] Many kinds of material fall within the definition of Americana: paintings, prints and drawings; license plates or entire vehicles, household objects, tools and weapons; plaques and statues, and so on. Patriotism and nostalgia play a defining role in the subject. The things involved need not be old, but need to have the appropriate associations. The term may be used to describe the theme of a museum or collection,[3][4] or of goods for sale.

The term can be used to describe studies of American culture - especially studies based in other countries.[5] Americana music loosely encompasses American folk music and related genres.

Just proves the dumbass doesn't know what he's talking about.

Wow, that's a Democrat for ya

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#9]
These measures are intensely idiotic.  At least this one only applies to public works and not private.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

But even though it passed with a heavy majority, a fistful of state Democrats (mostly from Philadelphia) still oppose the bill because, according them, it unfairly "targets” illegal immigrants.

That is like saying drug laws are unfair to "illegal drugs". What part of illegal do they not understand? (Well I guess to a Democrat "illegal" means "another person who will vote for us")

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

word
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]
That's racist
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing new in the concept.  Colorado's had a similar law for years now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

But this bill is just another bill that won't be enforced anyway.  

What happens to the illegals when they are found?

DOJ will not investigate this.

ICE will not investigate this.

Philly will attempt to weasel out of this and Brady, and his goons, will work overtime to ensure that the paperwork they file is falsified so that nothing will be found.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Uh...  E-verify and I-9?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Uh...  E-verify and I-9?

My thoughts exactly, aren't I-9s already required for all employers?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh...  E-verify and I-9?

My thoughts exactly, aren't I-9s already required for all employers?

NC is phasing us into required E-verify too. I think large companies are already required to do it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Sweet! More work for me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

These measures are intensely idiotic.  At least this one only applies to public works and not private.

Oh, its you

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Pennsylvania is RACIST!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, its you

Hi.  Do I know you?  
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, its you

Hi.  Do I know you?  

If you are a contractor I'm guessing he is the American you decided not to hire on the books instead deciding to hire and illegal for cash.

If it was up to me intentionally hiring an illegal would result in the seizure of your business, your home, vehicles, children's college fund, wife's jewelery. I would have them begging for spare change in the streets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top