Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2012 7:44:31 AM EDT
So I have been saving for my first house for a while, and I finally went ahead and did the deed.  The house was last sold for 135,000 and the owners put 10K in the bathroom as well, and I am buying it for 100,000.  The house is move in ready, but before I get in there, I would like to refinish the floors.  Anyone have experience refinishing oak floors?  The house is a 1200 sq. ft brick ranch, and the entire area sans kitchen and bathrooms is wood floor.  
Basically is this something I should try myself or should I just avoid the hassle and call a pro?  I am pretty mechanically inclined and actually do fine woodworking on the side, but I have never tried anything like this.

Oh and anyone know where to get a stainless refrigerator for a good price?  I'm imagining fridges aren't one of those things one should buy used, but I could be wrong...
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The big question is, what kind of wood floors do they have?  Some can be refinished many times, some only three or so, and some can't be refinished at all.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#2]
They're white oak floors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Let a pro do it .... Spend the money now and move on.. If you screw something up its gonna cost way more to fix after the fact... We paid someone to refinish our floors and they turned out great... Not to mention its a shit load of work to do it right...

ETA, Bought our fridge from lowes new but it had a dent on the side and needed the shelves.. Paid half the price of a new one
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll probably have to rent a machine to refinish the floors.  You could attempt to get some wood cleaner and see if it helps before going that route.

As poster said above.  For as often as you'd refinish them, just get a pro to do it right.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't know if you have one near you, but we got our stainless fridge from a Sear's scratch'n'dent place.  Several hundred dollars off for a little gouge on the side that we never notice.  Same with our stove and dishwasher.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]
stainless refrigerator, check out sears, might have 4th sales.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#7]
If you fuck up with the floor sander you'll ruin the floors. Get an estimate on having them done. You want it done before you move in as the dust is going to be EVERYWHERE.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I have been saving for my first house for a while, and I finally went ahead and did the deed.  The house was last sold for 135,000 and the owners put 10K in the bathroom as well, and I am buying it for 100,000.  The house is move in ready, but before I get in there, I would like to refinish the floors.  Anyone have experience refinishing oak floors?  The house is a 1200 sq. ft brick ranch, and the entire area sans kitchen and bathrooms is wood floor.  
Basically is this something I should try myself or should I just avoid the hassle and call a pro?  I am pretty mechanically inclined and actually do fine woodworking on the side, but I have never tried anything like this.

Oh and anyone know where to get a stainless refrigerator for a good price?  I'm imagining fridges aren't one of those things one should buy used, but I could be wrong...

I just had my done by a pro a few months ago, definately worth the $1900 I spent to refinish the 500 sq feet or so of living/dining room.

A nice stainless fridge can be had new at Home Depot/Lowes for under $800
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you fuck up with the floor sander you'll ruin the floors. Get an estimate on having them done. You want it done before you move in as the dust is going to be EVERYWHERE.

not exactly.

I had mine done a few months ago and the whole process is about 95% dust free with the new machines they use these days.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I would use a pro for the floors. If you eff em up it will cost far more to fix them.  As far as the fridge, just keep in mind many of the large big boxes will negotiate. Don't pay asking price. I negotiated with lowes, home depot, and best buy on appliances last time The wife decided I needed to remodel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know this to be true...... trying to get a drink of water standing in 1 spot too long, then oops!

Sears outlet are often NOT CHEAPER than Sears itself or Home Depot/ Lowes for that matter....

We have (2) outlets, sears grand and a kmart/sears thing within 10 miles of each other... went to all and outlet was priced higher than Sears even with 20% discount..... Strange

Home depot had the one we wanted in the end for cheaper...........

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They're white oak floors.

solid?  engineered?  laminate?

makes all the difference regarding whether they can be refinished.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#13]
For decent appliances for cheap, go to your local Lowes, or Home Depot and ask to see the models that were returned, some have minor ass scratches or a ding that a magnet can cover for a quarter the price.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

So I have been saving for my first house for a while, and I finally went ahead and did the deed. The house was last sold for 135,000 and the owners put 10K in the bathroom as well, and I am buying it for 100,000. The house is move in ready, but before I get in there, I would like to refinish the floors. Anyone have experience refinishing oak floors? The house is a 1200 sq. ft brick ranch, and the entire area sans kitchen and bathrooms is wood floor.

Basically is this something I should try myself or should I just avoid the hassle and call a pro? I am pretty mechanically inclined and actually do fine woodworking on the side, but I have never tried anything like this.

Oh and anyone know where to get a stainless refrigerator for a good price? I'm imagining fridges aren't one of those things one should buy used, but I could be wrong...

Refinishing wood floors can be a buttload of work. A lot depends on how much sanding they need before staining/coating. You should be able to rent a power floor sander that helps cut down sanding time. Have fun.

Home Depot has a 4th of July appliance sale going on with some SS refers shown on the flyer.

ETA: congrats on the new house.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#15]
This is something you really should hire out.

The sealant will literally kill you if you don't do it right. No I'm not kidding. Type in "Floor refinishing death" in google.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess the question is, is are they dull or are there a lot of scratches?  

If they are just dull screen them, remove and all dust and poly them again - I like semi-gloss.

If they are scratched and you need to sand them, strip them first or you will go through a lot of sandpaper.

DO NOT USE A DRUM sander, they are a night mare and will destroy your floors, DO NOT USE AN ORBITAL SANDER for edging same thing.

What you want is a vibrating plate sander.  There are some good threads on all of this in archives.

Edit: You can do this yourself but you will really need to research it.   Good luck
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I helped a friend do it once.  And only once.  It's easier to screw up than you might think.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

not exactly.

I had mine done a few months ago and the whole process is about 95% dust free with the new machines they use these days.

U-Sand all the way, I have done may floors with one of them and have never had any of the issues people complain about when using the big old drum sanders.  With drum sanders if you let one go or levae it in one place too long yes you will probably screw up your floors but with the U-Sand which is 4 random orbit pads that unless you really try they will not gouge your floor.  The only issue with the U-Sand is if you have BAD problems with the floor it takes a lot longer than it might with a drum sander.  If the floors are marginal to bad JUST DO IT find a place that will rent a U-Sand and give yourself some real time to do it and have at it.  If you are a woodworker you have worked with finishes this is not a project to be afraid of and I guarantee you that it will cost a HELL of a lot less than having a pro do it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#19]
As was said above, for DIY a U-Sand is the way to go.  We redid our front porch.  It took some time and quite a few discs were used, but the results were great. Very user friendly. I think HD rents them for about 50-bucks a day.  Buy more discs than you'll need and return the ones you don't use.

Took off 5 layers of paint and left the raw wood smooth as a baby's butt:

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As was said above, for DIY a U-Sand is the way to go.  We redid our front porch.  It took some time and quite a few discs were used, but the results were great. Very user friendly. I think HD rents them for about 50-bucks a day.  Buy more discs than you'll need and return the ones you don't use.

Took off 5 layers of paint and left the raw wood smooth as a baby's butt:

http://photos.imageevent.com/wiley/flotsam/_MG_9432-copy.jpg

Yep easy as can be to sand and if you let it go all it will do is float around the floor and not sink through layers of wood like will happen with a drum sander.  You can also get almost right up to the wall with them enough so that if you have corner round whatever did not get sanded will be covered up.  The only real issue as I said before is if the floor is trashed it takes a LONG time.  I did my kitchen and the first course of paper took me almost 2 whole 8-10 hour days to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top