Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/1/2012 7:55:36 AM EDT
Or oxycontin.  Or whatever.

I had surgery last week and am in agony, but if I take those damned Percocet pills I feel like crap: nauseous and headache.  Who the hell abuses these things?  I'm sitting here rolling around in pain rather than take those shitty narcotics.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#1]
screw percocet... now a percodan and a martini... now yer talkin...
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
They don't have pain when they take them. They take them for psychological reasons.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
That's not how they're supposed to work.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Opioids don't have any effect on me other than making my stomach ache.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Every reacts differently to meds.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#6]
they affect different people different ways. I broke my leg in may and have had two surgeries on it and have taken a lot of Percocet.They work for me. What I hate is Lortab. Totally useless, might as well been eating M&Ms, they do NOTHING for pain.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
It makes me sick.

Demerol however, is gooooood.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Lemme go ask the MIL, and get back with you.....
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#9]
don't harsh my buzz with your low tolerance
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the opposite reaction. As soon as I take one, the urge to take another one kicks in. I like them a little too much so I avoid narcotic pain meds as much as possible. THe Army doesn't like to give you more than a few at a time anyway.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Are you taking them with food OP?
If not you should.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I have asked the same question, For me they only take the edge off the pain.

But my understanding is that when you are in pain, they work differently.

I have never felt any sort of "high" in fact I hate that feeling.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Take them because you need them for another 5 years or so and then come back and ask the same question.....
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I had those after a knee operation. They would take me from miserable, to being able to sleep. I can understand why people like taking them. I found that I couldn't study very well while taking meds, so I just sucked it up and went without.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I took pain meds once after having surgery and they FUCKED me up

never took them again

even after i posted my mangled ankle on here on a drunken night in 2010 and the hospital gave me a prescription for hydros, i never went and got it filled because pain meds make me feel like shit
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#16]
When I broke my ankle, I was prescribed percocet post-op.  One would took care of the pain, two would knock me out and I'd sleep for hours.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Same way some folks are addicted to alcohol or tobacco and others aren't.  Makes some feel good, makes others feel bad.

Edit:  and, once you take them for a whole and stop, withdrawal can feel really bad.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#18]

I have an aunt that has shingles...a very painful issue.

They prescribed her oxycontin and after awhile, she found herself in the middle of an addiction to them.

She broke it on her own, but she described it as not being very pretty.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#19]
the same way people get addicted to Coca Cola, or eating chalk.  It is just another substance that those with addictive personalities use to fill a void.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Dilaudid is where it's at.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm taking with some food, so that's not it.  I've switched to regular tylenol since Motrin is a no-no due to clotting.  The tylenol is not doing much

I wish I had something either much much stronger or much weaker.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the same way people get addicted to Coca Cola, or eating chalk.  It is just another substance that those with addictive personalities use to fill a void.

ummm, no.

Opiates affect dopamine production in the brain, long term effects cause a chemical dependence where the brain will not produce dopamine without the presence of Opiates, or more accurately, THIQ.

Alcohol metabolizes into the same substance (THIQ) and has the same affect.

There is no such thing as an addictive personality. Certain people are just more genetically pre-disposed to chemical dependency than others. It has nothing to do with discipline, self control, will power or anything else. It is a chemical reaction that can be overcome and reversed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Bullshit there is no withdrawls from not drinking coke or eating chalk.  "Addictive personality" has nothing to do with it this is a chemical thing...
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Or oxycontin.  Or whatever.

I had surgery last week and am in agony, but if I take those damned Percocet pills I feel like crap: nauseous and headache.  Who the hell abuses these things?  I'm sitting here rolling around in pain rather than take those shitty narcotics.

After my shoulder surgery, I rotated tylenol and advil. Worked better, and didn't make me feel like shit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Hydrocodone is where it is at...
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Except that opiods are also a powerful class of drug that can fundamentally change your brain chemistry. The addictive qualities aren't just psychological- there are very real physiological aspects to it. Not everyone experiences it the same way but given enough exposure to it anyone will become addicted.

I had 20 following my wisdom teeth. I was really annoyed when I ran out and a total prick to the people around me. In less then a week I hadn't become addicted, but I was habituated to them. I can understand how easily so many people get hooked.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm taking with some food, so that's not it.  I've switched to regular tylenol since Motrin is a no-no due to clotting.  The tylenol is not doing much

Here is what I do and it helps.

I have Vicodin I only take at night (suppertime-overnight) as it helps dull the pain enough to sleep

Aspirin Yep plain old Aspirin, I'm still amazed at how good of a pain killer it is

Heat (I use a corn sack type of heating pad).
Ice/cold packs The also help, but I normally stick with heat.

Whiskey, not a lot maybe a shot sipped will help relax the muscles and ease the pain.
Though lately I am not doing this as it seems to mess with
my breathing even in very small amounts since I have Asthma.

Pretty much it is playing the game to stay ahead of the pain and not let it get too bad.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm kind of like the OP, Percocet didn't help me with pain after surgery. But vicodin did help, and at least gave me the smileys.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I can not piss when I take Dilaudid. It shuts my system down.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Talk to your doctor about having the prescription changed to another drug- there are a number in the same arena of strength.

Doctors usually take palliative care more seriously then their patients, oddly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Can possibly make you nauseous. Valium helps to alleviate that and some other things. I can see the weak minded getting addicted. I felt "good" while on them but I didn't feel like me which is why I didn't care for them and would never get hooked. Did a concoction for about 3 months and then stopped. No big deal to me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Those types of drugs make my bunghole clamp down tighter than a drum.
I can't shit for days afterwards and when I can the shit is almost as hard as a diamond.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I can't shit for days afterwards and when I can the shit is almost as hard as a diamond.

You got that right! Lots of water and stool softener..

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've never had stomach aches when taking pain pills,  but people have told me drinking milk when you take them helps.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I know they're supposed to knock you out, but they make me itchy and jittery until they wear off, then I about collapse.

Fuck that shit.  

And hell, for all the losers chewing them like candy, we not only get the societal effects of prescription drug abusers, but we also get liver failure from all the acetaminophen in 'em.  

Grrrreeeeaaaaat stuuuuuuuff.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I sat through a pain medicine lecture once and the quote that stuck with me is that 6% of all patients prescribed opiates will develop some form of addiction or dependency due to that prescription.

Vicodin, Percocet, Norco, etc... are the most abused drug in America today, more than marijuana.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Can possibly make you nauseous. Valium helps to alleviate that and some other things. I can see the weak minded getting addicted. I felt "good" while on them but I didn't feel like me which is why I didn't care for them and would never get hooked. Did a concoction for about 3 months and then stopped. No big deal to me.

You don't know shit it is not "weak minded" people that get addicted it is any one unfortunate enough to have to take them chronicaly for a long pieriod of time.  I am sure some internet tough guy like you would not get addicted but there are a lot of people that do and it has nothing to do with being "weak minded".  I wll agree that people that go too far like ending up doctor shopping and eating hundreds of pills a day are out for a thrill but it is possible to be "strong minded" enough to keep it in control but not be able to kick it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a really hard time getting off pills. Best if I just say away from them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can not piss when I take Dilaudid. It shuts my system down.

I had Dilaudid through a PCA pump once (happy button after surgery) and ended up having an itchy allergic reaction to it so they decided to give me some industrial grade Benadryl to counteract that.  I am not sure what planet I visited that day but I know I do not want to go back.....
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't know shit it is not "weak minded" people that get addicted it is any one unfortunate enough to have to take them chronicaly for a long pieriod of time.  I am sure some internet tough guy like you would not get addicted but there are a lot of people that do and it has nothing to do with being "weak minded". I wll agree that people that go too far like ending up doctor shopping and eating hundreds of pills a day are out for a thrill but it is possible to be "strong minded" enough to keep it in control but not be able to kick it.

Doctor shopping is why my state (and many others) tracks all scheduled drug prescriptions in a central database.

I love the look on a patients face when I hand them a print out of all the different docs they've been to and all the extra pain pills they have gotten from them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#41]
All of those things give me a crawling skin feeling that is absolutely unbearable. I don't understand why anyone would take those for pleasure.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As someone in GD put it several years ago "It's all fun and games until someone needs a shoehorn and a tub of KY to take a dump."

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone in GD put it several years ago "It's all fun and games until someone needs a shoehorn and a tub of KY to take a dump."

I'm just going to post the term "manual disimpaction", and suggest that nobody googles it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#44]
For me there like 5 Hour energy w/ itchyness... Add a beer or 2 and
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#45]
After I snapped my ankle and had surgery I had to take Percocet every couple hours for the pain, and I couldn't sleep without them. I wasn't really mentally afected by them, no high or anything, but it really helped with the pain.

My first day back from work I forgot my meds but didnt think it'd be a big deal. Around 1 I had rushed to the nurses office due to severe withdrawals. It was horrible. Shakes, hot and cold flashes, and the need to constantly urinate. I also tried calling my wife at work but couldn't remember her married name and kept asking for her by her maiden name.

I really can't begrudge someone who's dealing with narcotic additiction due to a legitimate medical issue. I spent the next 2 weeks not sleeping, restless, and on edge while drastically weening myself off.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hydrocodone is where it is at...

That's what my doc moved me DOWN to from Oxycodone . They dont do shit . I need to get her to switch me back .
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Different people react in different ways to medications like pain killers, most people don't get sick from pain killers. I know people who were sick for a couple days or very disoriented after being under general aesthetic for surgery but when I had surgery I wasn't sick or disoriented at all when I woke up. I actually felt like I had just had a really really good nights sleep.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't know shit it is not "weak minded" people that get addicted it is any one unfortunate enough to have to take them chronicaly for a long pieriod of time.  I am sure some internet tough guy like you would not get addicted but there are a lot of people that do and it has nothing to do with being "weak minded".  I wll agree that people that go too far like ending up doctor shopping and eating hundreds of pills a day are out for a thrill but it is possible to be "strong minded" enough to keep it in control but not be able to kick it.

You forgot the part about your truck-driver mom with the bad knees  
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I always had to wash it down with vodka to get them to kick in.
even so, the relief would only last for 3 or 4 hours.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top