Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2012 2:24:30 PM EDT
Recently got cable back after experimenting a year without it and found these two shows a few weeks ago. So far I am enjoying the shows. I know they are reality TV, which means some of the stuff is scripted or staged, but two things are really irritating me.

First, in Swamp People, I really hate it when the announcer dude says something like "this 500 pounder will bring top dollar..." and then they pull in an alligator that looks like it can't weight more than 150 lbs. Um, if that gator really weighed 500 lbs there would be no freaking way that the two guys, let along just one of them, would be able to pull it up and into their boat.  

Second, in Mountain Men, the narrator keeps talking about "winter is fast approaching and so and so needs to get some meat for the winter..." and then he bags a tiny deer that at best weighs maybe 80 lbs wet. Like the amount of meat from that one tiny deer will be sufficient to feed the 4-6 people living at his place for an entire winter. Unless these guys are bagging game left and right and violating typical hunting limits I find it hard to believe they would be able to cull sufficient meat from wild game to survive. Either that, or they simply aren't eating much meat at all.

Other than that, I like how they guys aren't portrayed as total wackos and most seem to espouse the ideals and values that made America great. Oh, and I doubt many of them are Obama supporters.

One more thing I've wondered about shows like these. Do the show participants get paid for being on it? For example, do the boat owners of Deadliest Catch get paid for allowing the cameramen to film on their boats? What about the deckhands? Do the guys featured on Mountain Men get payment for being on the show?

Anyway, enjoying the shows for what they are (mindless entertainment).
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Watch em both . I am bored with the Histroy Channel reality shows though as they have kinda flattened out. I am finding I am more interested in Nat Geo , those inbred Hutterites are something else to watch...
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
CHOOT EM!
ETA Also check out Ax Men.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Where I live, during deer season I can legally bag three does each day.

But you are right the over the top bs starvation drama pisse me off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]
i cant watch swamp people, i cant deal w/ the southern slang...sorry.

i like mountain men, but some of the stuff is
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
eustice or whatever his name is, is a bitch.  Everyone else does all his work for him, while he talks about how he has to "cowboy up"- MF doesn't even know the meaning.  Dumbass used his horses to pull his shitty truck cause he spent all day prancing around the forest trying to get high off some root.

Marty needs to go home and stay home.  He is a danger to himself.  That guy hasn't done anything but fuck up since he has been on the show.

The old guy is the only cool guy.  He's pretty innocent and knows his shit.  Would be what I would call a mountain man.  The other 2, straight up losers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I enjoy swamp people, the folks in it are interdasting, also it's far removed from anything I do.

Mountain men on the other hand are a bunch of drama lamas, they make things ten times more dramatic and difficult than they need be.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually, I don't mind their accents, though I dislike the subtitles. Subtitles are distracting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CHOOT EM!

ETA Also check out Ax Men.

Love that one only for Shelby and Piss Willy. Actually only for Piss Willy because he's the coolest dog evar!
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
eustice or whatever his name is, is a bitch.  Everyone else does all his work for him, while he talks about how he has to "cowboy up"- MF doesn't even know the meaning.  Dumbass used his horses to pull his shitty truck cause he spent all day prancing around the forest trying to get high off some root.

Lol yeah. Dude is like some left over 60s pothead hippie. Is he running a commune? WTF is up with the granola chicks with the dreads living there?

Quoted:Marty needs to go home and stay home.  He is a danger to himself.  That guy hasn't done anything but fuck up since he has been on the show.

The sasquatch dude in Alaska is kinda dull. His entire existence is: sit in my cabin, go check my trap lines, 40 year old POS snowmobile breaks down, fix it, go 10 miles, snowmobile breaks down, fix it, go 10 miles, etc. seems to be all he does. All I have got to say to him is "BUY A NEW SNOWMOBILE!!!!!!"

Quoted:The old guy is the only cool guy.  He's pretty innocent and knows his shit.  Would be what I would call a mountain man.

Agree 100%. Old rodeo cowboy knows his stuff.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I liked the last episode when they had to get the guys truck fixed and used the horses to pull it. The "drama" was waiting for the 5 ton truck with the bad transmission to roll over the horses. It was an old toyota with a crappy homemade flatbed. And they missed the horses.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I don't mind their accents, though I dislike the subtitles. Subtitles are distracting.

I'm still trying to figure out why they have the subtitles.  I understand them perfectly.  But I did grow up in the low country of South Carolina
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol yeah. Dude is like some left over 60s pothead hippie. Is he running a commune? WTF is up with the granola chicks with the dreads living there?

Pretty much.  I am from that general area and he is not the native type.  He is a hippie transplant who probably gets high in between takes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#14]
the drama is unreal.....Eustace is actually a pretty good dude, my friend spent a weekend at turtle island last month for an outdoor class and really learned alot.  I am taking my two kids there in sept for an open house.  Might even take a blacksmith class,  he is actually realy smart.  i hate the way the show portrays him.  Now I will also say he and his buddies are liberal fucktards!
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
*SNIP* Now I will also say he and his buddies are liberal fucktards!

Hence.... he is a bitch.  Cowboy up....  
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
the drama is unreal.....Eustace is actually a pretty good dude, my friend spent a weekend at turtle island last month for an outdoor class and really learned alot.  I am taking my two kids there in sept for an open house.  Might even take a blacksmith class,  he is actually realy smart.  i hate the way the show portrays him.  Now I will also say he and his buddies are liberal fucktards!

Are you shitting me people go and pay to do that ?  wow simply wow. I guess growing up in in the sticks had its advantages. I got to learn how to build fences, barns , mend fences, barns, clear pastures, gut hogs, hunt deer, butcher meat, can food. preserve hides . Pretty much everything you need to live in the world . I did not pay for any of it. It was just how you learned to live in the world. Amazing people have to pay to learn how to live now days.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#17]
No.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Never seen mountain men, and Swamp People is unwatchable, IMO
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Watched a few episodes of "Mountain Men".  It seems like the old man never does anything but chase that fucking dog around.  If I'm really just trying to "survive", I won't have a dog that won't 1. Come when called, or 2. Stay by my side.

I kind of like the trapper, he's actually still working for a living, survives much harsher, more dangerous conditions without all the hippie drama or useless pet drama.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
FUCK..... swamp people, and all the ludicrous things it represents.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That slang is hardly southern but rather a cajun dialect thats as distinct and different from a southern accent as a yankee or New York accent.
Hearing that one that talks like he's got marbles in his mouth got old quick, especially the 'Coot him! Coot him!' part when it's obvious there's no shot to take.

I watched 1/2 an episode of Mountain Men but got since I outgrew the desire to live that life, like most kids, when I was thirteen I changed the channel.  They need to rename that show Losers - Grown men that avoided growing up.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#22]
WHY do they have subtitles on Swamp People?

Are Yankees retarded?

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

WHY do they have subtitles on Swamp People?

Are Yankees retarded?

Yes

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#24]
One of the outdoor mags did an article about Marty recently.  Bill Heavey went up there and spent a couple days with him. Got lost or stranded and probably would have croaked if Marty hadn't found him.
Dude is TOUGH!
And I bet the TV show  edits out a lot of the successful trapline work.
Can't have the hippies getting all crybaby about a lynx or a wolf in a trap...

BTW, am I the only one that thinks so, or does the narrator sounds like that "Mayhem" guy in those insurance commercials?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yankee complaining about annoying accent, how ironic.  

Their accent is cajun, not southern big difference.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Troy is EXACTLY like one of my cousins in Mississippi.

They could be TWINS.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#27]
yes we are.  

this is what i think they are saying ... a;lakhfdklfhadhfakdf;khf;ahf;adshf;a shit.

slow down, talk normal gang.  you will get your sweeeeeeet tea later...  
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yankee complaining about annoying accent, how ironic.  

Their accent is cajun, not southern big difference.

i talk completely normal and dont have an accent and i know plenty of people in the south who dont talk witheverythingtogether.  dialect, try it.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
yes we are.  

this is what i think they are saying ... a;lakhfdklfhadhfakdf;khf;ahf;adshf;a shit.

I've been up north.

I don't know what's worse: New York or Boston accents.

Yeah, I do.  Boston wins.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Swamp People is fucking stupid. . . . and Mountain Men , is three steps below it .

I watched about half an episode of SP and never turned it back on the show .
MM , I watched the first two episodes , and tried to turn my brain off to enjoy it , but just couldnt take it anymore .

Reality TV is for tards
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes we are.  

I've been up north.

you do realize, there is a whole other part of this state than NYC right?  we all dont talk like we are from lonnnng island.  or like italian tough wanna be mob guys...

ive been all over this country, even people in the deep south talk normal.  no need for that garbage mumbling.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I only watch swamp people because my family is on the show. Jr and Willie are my cousins. My dad (Fellow Arfcom'er) was actually on an episode about 3 weeks back.

Because of this, and because I went down and filmed with them, I know how much editing room magic is done behind the scenes. enough it really ruins it for me. but Jr and Willie are my Coon-ass relatives... what can I say.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I only watch swamp people because my family is on the show. Jr and Willie are my cousins. My dad (Fellow Arfcom'er) was actually on an episode about 3 weeks back.

Because of this, and because I went down and filmed with them, I know how much editing room magic is done behind the scenes. enough it really ruins it for me. but Jr and Willie are my Coon-ass relatives... what can I say.

Willie is a badass with that treble hook.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Never seen mountain men, and Swamp People is unwatchable, IMO

This,  actually all reality tv is unwatchable to me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How many shots do they REALLY take per gator?

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes we are.  

I've been up north.

you do realize, there is a whole other part of this state than NYC right?  we all dont talk like we are from lonnnng island.  or like italian tough wanna be mob guys...

ive been all over this country, even people in the deep south talk normal.  no need for that garbage mumbling.

They're coon asses, but I understand them just fine.  It's a Gulf Coast kind of thing.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes we are.  

I've been up north.

I dated a woman from Lansing Mich.  She knew her way around a mattress but her yankee accent was so grotesque I broke up with her.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I find Eustace the most entertaining of the three on Mountain Men.

Bruce is the dreamy one on Swamp People.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Eustace is the hippy type wood cutter?  

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#40]
The History and Discovery Channel really went to hell in a hand basket.  Still not as bad as TruTV though.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone else think Eustice is a cult leader? I find it freaky that eight people live there under his "leadership". It just reeks of a cult to me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, who lets the green horn zero his rifle and then bitches
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Marty needs to go home and stay home.  He is a danger to himself.  That guy hasn't done anything but fuck up since he has been on the show.

The old guy is the only cool guy.  He's pretty innocent and knows his shit.  Would be what I would call a mountain man.  The other 2, straight up losers.

He is very soft spoken. I watched the episode where he talked about his hammer collection. I kept thinking that guy is a little creepy and would have no problem crushing someone's head in with one of his hammers.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, who lets the green horn zero his rifle and then bitches

I wanted to smack that whiny fuck trying to zero that lever action.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is very soft spoken. I watched the episode where he talked about his hammer collection. I kept thinking that guy is a little creepy and would have no problem crushing someone's head in with one of his hammers.

I have an axe/hatchet collection
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I thought the Montana mountain man looked somewhat fake.  First, his mountain cabin is more like a house, which has electricity, a wife and a speaker phone.  I suspect he has a fat social security check arriving every month.  Second, when his neighbor's water supply is under attack by the beavers, can't the neighbor just treat his drinking water with a simple RO system?  That's what most rural people do.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I thought the Montana mountain man looked somewhat fake.  First, his mountain cabin is more like a house, which has electricity, a wife and a speaker phone.  I suspect he has a fat social security check arriving every month.  Second, when his neighbor's water supply is under attack by the beavers, can't the neighbor just treat his drinking water with a simple RO system?  That's what most rural people do.

I suspect he's some guy from FL retiring in MT to live the mountain man life.

I knew he was a poseur the first episode when his buddy was rattling those antlers like that.  That was their first time hunting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#49]
There was a book about Eustace a few years ago called "The Last American Man".  Pretty good read.  He has done some amazing stuff like riding coast to coast on horseback, just to say he had done it, he circumnavigated the continental US in a horse drawn wagon, he kayaked some long miserable stretch of something and he hiked the AT with nothing but a hunting knife, loincloth and tennis shoes.  If he did not kill something while he hiked, he did not eat.  The author was some libtard who knew his brother and fell in love with Eustace, then wrote a book about all his conquests (of which she was probably one).

If Eustace can get people to pay him to come down to his "compound" and to do his chores, then I say good for him.  He is doing what many people on this site dream of but do not have the stones or skills to actually do.

The trapper guy really does make a living the hard way (read the Bill Heavey  article referenced earlier.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm watching this seasons swamp people. Probably won't when the season ends.

Both discovery and history have a big problem with creating "drama" before a commercial break, when it clearly turns out to be nothing out of the normal. That and recapping everything that happened up to the commercial break, right after the commercial break.
That tells me that either their editing is shitty, or they're trying to create some drama for the show when none exists.
And as mentioned, the narrators always sound like dumbasses trying to create drama with things like "900 pound gators" when it's a frikking 5 footer, or imply that the character is going to have great difficulty in their life if they don't tag out, or get this particular critter or that one. The characters doing those 5 second interviews explaining this or that is too dramatic too. "If I don't get this gator, I'm in big trouble". yadda yadda.

That's why I stopped watching pawn stars, hardcore pawn (better video, actually, but the whole show is so chopped up it's pointless), and a couple of other shows I can't even remember.
American pickers was actually pretty decent, but it got old.I'd have liked to see them actually SELL something and see if it brought in what they estimated. I also wondered how they made any profit when they drive so far. I'm kinda guessing they are being subisidized by the show?

I still like deadliest catch. I don't think it has scripting or reenactments, since that's a pretty dangerous job, but the announcer does tend to be over dramatic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top