Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2002 10:19:40 AM EDT
I have started looking into putting in a new fence this year. The old one has lasted for a while, but it is time to give it up when you can break it by the grass blowing on it from the mower.
I have gotten 2 estimates so far one on a ceder wood fence the other on a vinyl.
I was looking on opinions between the two, and if anyone knows a good fence builder in the DFW area. I have so far gotten quotes from Reed and Morgan, and am waiting on No Rust fencing. He had some personal problems come up and since I am not in a hurry I can wait.
So far it looks like it will be in the 6000-7500 range depending on a couple of options and whether it is wood or vinyl.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Im looking to get a privacy fence also, but the estimate was $5600 of 400 ft of fence!!!! its outragous!! Im gonna do it myself.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
But they are supplying all the tools and supplies.
It was like 220 linear feet.
About half of what MAHABALI is looking to do.
7000 thousand was for two sides being 8foot, one side being 6 foot and 1 rot board all the way around, metal poles, board on board, and the important part cedar wood not pine or some such.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#5]
That sounds way high!! how many places did you call?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
My quote was for all 6 foot premium grade cedar, with 2 man gates and one car gate. but it was the lowest price in town. I can buy all the materials for a little over $1000
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#7]
2 so far. Waiting on a 3rd to show up. And my wife is going to have me call about a dozen more before she is finished shopping around on this one.
I really figured it was about 500 bucks worth of materials for a 6 foot fence all the way around from home depot. So I kinda of thought the wood fence would only run me 2000-3000 at most.
Doesn't seem to be the case.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, fell 4 pages. Guess I will btt myself.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess I will look into that. She is dragging me to Lowes today anyway to replace some dead foliage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Andrew

I replaced my own fence this spring. I got estimates to do it and they were all in the $4000 to $5000 range. I thought that was way to high so I checked into doing it myself.

It took me about 3 and a half weeks to tear the old fence out and build myself a new Red cedar, 6 ft board on board, with a 2x6 top cap. Total cost for materials, $1650.

I used an old farm jack to pull the old posts from the ground. Kind of like an old car jack. Pulled them out pretty quickly. Had some friends help me pull the posts and set the new ones.

Then my wife and I built it. It took a while but our fence is better looking and stronger than any of the fences that people have had built.

If you need advice E-mail me.

Edited to add.

I got my wood and concrete delevered free from Dallas Cedar and Redwood in Carrollton. Nice guys and pretty good wood.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#12]
She has thought of that, doing it myself, but she knows I am too lazy and would get pissed and half-as* it in the end. Plus she couldn't stand for her yard to be torn up for 6 weeks(figure if it took you 3, it should take me 6 or so,) while I get the new one in.
And a buddy mentioned it too since there are a couple of us looking to put in fences, how we could all save money by helping each other, but when we figured out how big one guys fence was we decided it wasn't worth it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
She has thought of that, doing it myself, but she knows I am too lazy and would get pissed and half-as* it in the end. Plus she couldn't stand for her yard to be torn up for 6 weeks(figure if it took you 3, it should take me 6 or so,) while I get the new one in.
And a buddy mentioned it too since there are a couple of us looking to put in fences, how we could all save money by helping each other, but when we figured out how big one guys fence was we decided it wasn't worth it.
View Quote

You just need a good AR15.com friend.

I helped my  new neighbour do his.  He had just put in a pool and my kids were in it as much as his.  He was going to pay for a new fence to go in but I said I would help him.

It took us two Saturdays and we were done.....now he knows how to build one himself.

I am willing to be that you could get a few AR15 members to come and help out for a weekend for a case of beer and a case or two of ammo and be all finished.  If you want it to go REAL fast rent a aircompressor and a nailgun....
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Got the air compressor. But still can't envision ripping it all out and putting in a new one during the summer. Sad it hasn't even broken a hundred yet, at it still kills me when I am outside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top