Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2012 1:28:12 PM EDT
Up to this point my chili making is pretty much putting everything together in the pot and then dumping one of those packets of seasonings from the grocery store.  I want to make much better chili, and we have a great little specialty spice shop that opened here in town that I want to take advantage of.  SO! Im callin on ARFCOM to help me out with making good chili and I am especially interested in what spices and seasonings to use.  And please, no beans.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Misleading thread title, soup has meat and spices, chili has beans.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't you buy meat sauce in cans at the store? Real men put in beans, take advantage of the opportunity to produce some really smelly farts.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Use the seasonings chili should have, and measure them so you can adjust to your taste. It'll take many batches to get it just right. VacaDuck's recipe is an excellent one, but you may want to adjust the mix of ingredients to suit your tastes.

I use ancho chilies to make mine, and it is much better than it was with any others. I still throw in some serranos because of the flavor, but anchos are the main pepper.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can't you buy meat sauce in cans at the store? Real men put in beans, take advantage of the opportunity to produce some really smelly farts.

Stick to maple syrup.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Well of course BEANS ...

But some good Chili powder . maybe a little l garlic , some cumin ? onion .

Different peppers and or pepper sauces if you like it hot . A dash of paprika ?

Experiment and call  it  yours .
Sour cream and stewed tomatoes
Don forget the beans .

Good Luck
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Troll thread.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ask me how I know you don't actually know how to cook.

Listen, I'll eat chili with beans. I might call it "stew" or something, but I'll eat it and like it, if it's done right.

But for the love of God, if you are incapable of making a chili capable of holing a fork upright sans beans, you provably can't cook. You actually suck at this.

Every solitary man that says "meat sauce" is tacitly admitting that he can't cook.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Use the seasonings chili should have, and measure them so you can adjust to your taste. It'll take many batches to get it just right. VacaDuck's recipe is an excellent one, but you may want to adjust the mix of ingredients to suit your tastes.

I use ancho chilies to make mine, and it is much better than it was with any others. I still throw in some serranos because of the flavor, but anchos are the main pepper.

Thanks!

I agree.  Chili is a matter of your personal tastes.  Some like it hot, some mild.  Experiment with different chiles, both fresh and dried, until you find the combination that tastes best to you.

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Listen, I'll eat chili with beans. I might call it "stew" or something, but I'll eat it and like it, if it's done right.

But for the love of God, if you are incapable of making a chili capable of holing a fork upright sans beans, you provably can't cook. You actually suck at this.

Every solitary man that says "meat sauce" is tacitly admitting that he can't cook.

He's from Maine.  All they can do is boil stuff, be it tree sap or sea roaches.

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It's the wrong time of year for stew. But, you can change your mind and add beans at this point to get chilli.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said anything about my not being able to make chili that would hold a fork upright? By the sounds of it, I'm not a world class chef like you, but I'm definitely beyond the stereotypical bachelor who always goes out to eat or cooks TV dinners. I made chocolate pudding once from scratch, no boxed mix or anything like that. Gave some of it to one of my lady friends, and she said that it was good.

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I use a lot of serranos, but thats mainly because I grow them in my garden anyway.  I'll have to try some anchos next time I make chili.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Experiment with your own ingredients until you have a combination you really like.  The key is technique.

Build your flavors in layers.  Brown meat, remove meat to bowl, add aromatics, season, deglaze, add meat back in and braise with spices, garnish and serve.

I'm always tweaking my ingredient list based on what's lying around and what worked or didn't work last time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Experiment with your own ingredients until you have a combination you really like.  The key is technique.

Build your flavors in layers.  Brown meat, remove meat to bowl, add aromatics, season, deglaze, add meat back in and braise with spices, garnish and serve.

I'm always tweaking my ingredient list based on what's lying around and what worked or didn't work last time.

I'm always tweaking mine too, mainly because I can never seem to be bothered to write the damn thing down.  

I have a general idea of what I'm going to put into a pot of chili, but amounts and spices are always a spur of the moment, add as you taste throughout the day thing for me.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm always tweaking mine too, mainly because I can never seem to be bothered to write the damn thing down.  

I have a general idea of what I'm going to put into a pot of chili, but amounts and spices are always a spur of the moment, add as you taste throughout the day thing for me.

i've given my recipe out dozens of times and even tried to get a rough measurement of spices once...

didn't work, i add what i need to add.  exact measurements are for cookies and shit

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Who said anything about my not being able to make chili that would hold a fork upright? By the sounds of it, I'm not a world class chef like you, but I'm definitely beyond the stereotypical bachelor who always goes out to eat or cooks TV dinners. I made chocolate pudding once from scratch, no boxed mix or anything like that. Gave some of it to one of my lady friends, and she said that it was good.

perhaps it was your whole, "legumes or death" speech

down with the tasteless mush chili fillers!!!

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a lot of serranos, but thats mainly because I grow them in my garden anyway.  I'll have to try some anchos next time I make chili.

I love the flavor of serranos, and they tend to cook up hotter than other peppers. If you bite a raw one, they seem quite mild, and cooking them into chili gives it more heat than you'd think from that.

I'm not sure what it is about the anchos. Because they're kinda hard to find fresh, I buy them dried and soak them in water a bit before cutting them up for cooking. If I could get my hands on some fresh ones, I'd like to see the results of that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks guys for the comments, and thank you Vacaduck!!  I take it that the various peppers yall are suggesting I should be looking for is fresh peppers if possible?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#21]
No beans, no ground meat

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Thanks guys for the comments, and thank you Vacaduck!!  I take it that the various peppers yall are suggesting I should be looking for is fresh peppers if possible?

In my recipe, I list dried peppers as dried.  All others are fresh.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Doesn't need the filler (i.e. the chips).
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The chips are a thickening agent.

We are not making soup.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Misleading thread title, soup has meat and spices, chili has beans.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

We are not making soup.

Correct. It would wind up as soup, if you didn't know how to fucking cook. For those of us who actually know how to thicken a chili without adding chips... never mind, I've said too much.

I'll just leave it at black fucking magic, and pretend that knowledge doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

We are not making soup.

Correct. It would wind up as soup, if you didn't know how to fucking cook. For those of us who actually know how to thicken a chili without adding chips... never mind, I've said too much.

I'll just leave it at black fucking magic, and pretend that knowledge doesn't exist.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are not making soup.

At this point, I'm totally down with masa in my chili ... it's gtg.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As a lazy man's way of making chili when he's short on time...I'm half okay with this. But the thing is, today is Tuesday. You've got the rest of today and all of Wednesday to make it correctly. So...make it correctly.

No fillers, assholes.

Meat, chilies, spices. That's it. It should kick maximum ass in this configuration, and if it doesn't, may God have mercy on your wretched soul. You don't know how to cook, provably. Get a Texan to show you how it's done. I hate them motherfuckers for the most part (arrogant fucking pricks), but they've nailed the whole chili thing. Just because I hate 'em, doesn't mean I have to reject their chili (or their music - some of the best shit, old and new, comes out of Texas).

Fuck Texas bravado (fuck it in the ass with a big rubber dick, break it off, and beat 'em with the rest of it), but the bastards know chili. Seriously, they do (even if they're teh ghey).

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a lazy man's way of making chili when he's short on time...I'm half okay with this. But the thing is, today is Tuesday. You've got the rest of today and all of Wednesday to make it correctly. So...make it correctly.

No fillers, assholes.

Meat, chilies, spices. That's it. It should kick maximum ass in this configuration, and if it doesn't, may God have mercy on your wretched soul. You don't know how to cook, provably. Get a Texan to show you how it's done. I hate them motherfuckers for the most part (arrogant fucking pricks), but they've nailed the whole chili thing. Just because I hate 'em, doesn't mean I have to reject their chili (or their music - some of the best shit, old and new, comes out of Texas).

Fuck Texas bravado (fuck it in the ass with a big rubber dick, break it off, and beat 'em with the rest of it), but the bastards know chili. Seriously, they do (even if they're teh ghey).

Something tells me you not too fond of Texans.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No fillers, assholes.

Something tells me you not too fond of Texans.

Some of my best friends on this site are Texans. They know the score...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fillers, assholes.

Chilis are filler.

There are many legends and stories about where chili originated and it is generally thought, by most historians, that the earliest versions of chili were made by the very poorest people. J. C. Clopper, the first American known to have remarked about San Antonio's chili carne, wrote in 1926:

"When they have to pay for their meat in the market, a very little is made to suffice for a family; this is generally into a kind of hash with nearly as many peppers as there are pieces of meat - this is all stewed together."
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a lazy man's way of making chili when he's short on time...I'm half okay with this. But the thing is, today is Tuesday. You've got the rest of today and all of Wednesday to make it correctly...

Meh.  It has nothing to do with time.  

But keep at it ... you're still learning, and you seem to be a decent student.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a lazy man's way of making chili when he's short on time...I'm half okay with this. But the thing is, today is Tuesday. You've got the rest of today and all of Wednesday to make it correctly...

It has everything to do with time, and temp control. Give me any cut of meat, and I'll make a good chili out of it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No fillers, assholes.

Luv you too Sweetheart.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No fillers, assholes.

Luv you too Sweetheart.  

You're okay, Pugz.

"Fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you".
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I use all kinds of peppers. Up until a year ago ALL my chili recipes had beans. Went to make some this last winter, no beans in the house.

Now none of my chili has beans. And I use a ton of different kinds of peppers. Some of my recipes are strictly for my buddies, hot as hell. Other are for the family. Peppers make the difference.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a garden of peppers growing right now. I'm going to dry them, and store them.

Epic chili? I think so. I'm growing...ghost peppers.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

... Give me any cut of meat, and I'll make a good chili out of it.

Me too.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has everything to do with time, and temp control. Give me any cut of meat, and I'll make a good chili out of it.

Tenderloin, go.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Misleading thread title, soup has meat and spices, chili has NO beans.

FIFY

ExPat from Texas....yeah Texas

Suck it up and eat the stew you want to call chili ....oh and let me guess over spaghetti

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I have a garden of peppers growing right now. I'm going to dry them, and store them.

Dried ghost peppers?

May god have mercy on your ass.

I have some dried chili pequins that kick my old ass every time I use them.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Yet another f...king chili thread. This will end well.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dried ghost peppers?

Honestly, I have so many of them I'm don't know how to keep them any other way. So, I'm drying them. Peace be upon my arse.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dried ghost peppers?

Honestly, I have so many of them I'm don't know how to keep them any other way. So, I'm drying them. Peace be upon my arse.

I understand I had so many pequins that i filled the dehydrator several times.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Rattlesnake is the key,gotta have that buzzworm.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dried ghost peppers?

I understand I had so many pequins that i filled the dehydrator several times.  

Very nice.

We're just now finishing the last of the Chile de árbols that we grew & dried last year ...

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dried ghost peppers?

We may have to talk.  Ghosts are the only thing I can't find locally.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top