Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2002 3:34:36 AM EDT
Link to drug raid in Topeka,KS
I have no sympathy for drug possession, but my hackles raise any time firearms and dummy displays are demonized [b]by the press[/b]. They have the neighbors believing they are real explosives.
However, I don't seem to have the guts to address my thoughts with the editor, as my home might just be the next. I have a small display collection of inert ordnance that would certainly be described by the media as explosives based upon this example.
Several references to hand grenades and a rocket launcher as explosives AND as being de-activated and legal to possess.
[url]http://www.cjonline.com/stories/071902/com_explosives.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:53:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Link to drug raid in Topeka,KS
I have no sympathy for drug possession, but my hackles raise any time firearms and dummy displays are demonized [b]by the press[/b]. They have the neighbors believing they are real explosives.
However, I don't seem to have the guts to address my thoughts with the editor, as my home might just be the next. I have a small display collection of inert ordnance that would certainly be described by the media as explosives based upon this example.
Several references to hand grenades and a rocket launcher as explosives AND as being de-activated and legal to possess.
[url]http://www.cjonline.com/stories/071902/com_explosives.shtml[/url]
View Quote

Wait until TIPS goes into action :-(

Out here in CA, I live in fear that one of my condo neighbors will see me loading a gun case into my vehicle for a trip to the range and call it in as suspicious behavior. I don't want to find my place burglarized (Lot's of rental units) so I generally try not to advertise. If two guns and a couple of extra mags is "heavily armed", I don't want to know what the media will say about my collection of firearms and the fact I buy ammo in bulk for the savings and ballistic consistency.

BTW The other day I had a cable guy in to do an installation. I'd forgotten about the full size airsoft MP-5 replica I keep next to my sliding door to scare off the squirrels. Did a quick,"Don't mind that" and proceeded to demonstrate that it was a toy that shoots 6mm plastic pellets.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Did the cable guy have a brown shirt ?????

Can we report people wearing brown shirts as suspicious activity ?

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wait until TIPS goes into action :-(

View Quote

"If it just saves the life of one child" has now been replaced with "if it just stops one potential terrorist". Some here already support such JBT actions, that is until it happens to them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#4]
TIPS is another brain-dead idea, like the color codes for terrorist threat levels.  I have this theory that the big boys go cruising around looking for homeless guys living in cardboard boxes with empty Thunderbird bottles strewn about.  They wake them up and say, "Sir, would you like to head up a Washington bureau?"  That's the same level of intelligence and clarity of thought I see being brought to bear on this problem.  Fvcking morons.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#5]
So why is well over 3/4 of this article dedicated to these "explosives" that they repeatedly say were NOT explosive.  Sounds like there was pretty much nothing illegal in the house except for a little meth, not that that is a good thing, but all they did was harp on the grenades and rocket launcher!  What a crock. [grenade]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Out here in CA, I live in fear that one of my condo neighbors will see me loading a gun case into my vehicle for a trip to the range and call it in as suspicious behavior.
View Quote

Buy stock in manufacturers of musical instrument cases.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
It sounds like the police did not find much contraband.  
[i]The methamphetamine had an estimated $100 street value.[/i]

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#8]
IIRC, there was a reference to 1 gram of meth. I have no idea how to put that into perspective, as I've never even seen the stuff.
Forgive my ignorance, I did grow up in the 70's but I still remember it.
I've been exposed to grass and speed, but little else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top