Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2002 12:30:44 AM EDT
I'm looking for a little advice. GF and I just broke up 3 weeks ago and she is calling me telling me how she is depressed and wants to get back together, but not right now. I guess I don't really know what to do. We were together for almost 3 years and were beginning to plan a marriage. I'm fairly positive there is no one else in her life because she's just not that kind of person.

Now here's the twist: My buddy is a restaurant manager and he hooked me up with one of his co-workers tonight. She is awesome and we hung out and talked for over 4 hours. The hell of it is, she and her BF of 2 1/2 years just broke up 3 weeks ago also.

So do I go with this new chick (who is really cool, and has been treated like dirt), or do I try to make it work with the ex?

Just to add relevance for this topic to AR-15.com, my ex tolerated my firearms, and even went shooting with me(once). This new woman said she likes guns and hunting and would gladly go shooting if someone would take her.

So that's a little look into my soapopera life, anyone have some good, or even not so good advice?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, depends on what you are looking for.  If you are young, and otherwise unattached, go for the fun-in-the-sack one.  If you're done with that, then go for the one who will enjoy you, your personality, and your hobbies for years to come.  And hope she's good in the sack.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]
she wants to get together....but not right now??, she must not be THAT depressed.  Screw her, I'd give the other girl a try..........

Then again, I'm currently living with my mom, almost one year after getting divorced from the one woman I thought was the only one for me....so maybe you shouldn't listen to anything I say..
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Part of the reason I think she is depressed is because she works nights and I work days and we never saw each other. At first this was only supposed to be temporary, but it has dragged on for too long.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
she wants to get together....but not right now??, she must not be THAT depressed.  Screw her, I'd give the other girl a try.  
View Quote

Fix your ex up with the new girls ex and you can go on double dates?:-)

See if your new friend really enjoys shooting sports, or if she's just saying it to be agreeable. Offer to take her to the range. If things go well after shooting, go have lunch, or better yet, a picnic.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:11:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Part of the reason I think she is depressed is because she works nights and I work days and we never saw each other. At first this was only supposed to be temporary, but it has dragged on for too long.
View Quote

I hear you brother...probably the primary reason for tension in my (former)marriage was the employment situation.  I worked Sat-Tues 9pm-7am (still work the hours, different days), she worked the regular Mon-Fri 9-5.  While it wasn't the only reason, it did contribute to the decline of my marriage...
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:17:59 AM EDT
[#6]
post pics of them both... then I'll decide.  [bouncing]

but really... if X is not ready you are a free man.  Just cus you're taking out this new hottie does not mean you have to bone her on the first date.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#7]
"I want to get back together but not right now."

Puhleeeese!

TRANSLATION:  "I think I have a new man, but until I'm sure about him I want you to wait patiently by the phone in the event I call."

Dude, don't fall for this.  It's an old trick.  Put this girl in the files and move on.  If she was REALLY interested in you, and if she REALLY wanted to get back together she would find a way.

Regarding this new girl:  go for broke, BUT.. remember that women like a man who is CHALLENGING, and is MYSTERIOUS.  Don't reveal too much about yourself to her for a while.  Make her curious, and most of all go slow.  Most guys blow it by moving too fast too soon (i.e. talking marriage on the 3d date).

If you are patient and play it cool, she will be chasing you, which is what you want.
BTW - if you meet another girl who you find interesting, ask her out too.  Dating/relationships is a numbers game, the more you play, the better your chances of finding what you're looking for.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top