Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2002 5:51:28 PM EDT
Theres a family of racoons living in the bushes on the easment next to my property.  One mamma and 4 cubs. Their kinda cute, but I know they're gonna be trouble soon!  Will the city trap wild animals for release into the forrest? I'm think'in I can make some really kewl hats though........any takers?!?!

Two of the cubs
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/BoomStick/familyofcoons.jpg[/img]

Mamma (I think she's yell'in at me)

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/BoomStick/damncoons!.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Tisk Tisk, we must be PC here, they are not to be refered to as "coons" but as "rodents of color" LOL
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Oh, sorry! Thought you meant the other kind! [;D]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
[;D]Hehehe

Does anyone know if the city animal control will deal with this?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Most municipalities will only deal with stray domesticated animals. As a general rule they will not deal with wild nuisance animals on your property. There are exceptions such as an immediate threat to health and welfare of the neighborhood. Otherwise, you will have to hire an animal trapper. Most municipalities have a list of licensed approved trappers. Call your local P.D. dispatch. I know these things because after I was promoted to Sgt. I had to spend 3 years supervising the dispatchers. That's 8 hours a day trapped in doors. Have you ever seen a room full of Police Dispatchers? They are almost always women. Big women. The pizza delivery guy wears a bite sleeve. It was a living hell for a street cop.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
a good friend of mine in animal control. when he gets called for nuisance animals, county law states they must be destroyed. relocation is not an option. not sure why though.
-jay
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Just rent a trap from somewhere.. bait it up with chicken bones.. And drop them way out in the middle of nowhere.

Worked for us ..

You were there first [;)]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
4 coons = $125.00 back where I come from......
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Box 'em up and mail 'em to Sarah Brady. With any luck they'll still be alive when she opens it up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh, sorry! Thought you meant the other kind! [;D]
View Quote

Exactly what [b]'other kind'[/b] do you mean????
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Exactly what [b]'other kind'[/b] do you mean????
View Quote

He probably thought I meant [b]"cocoon"[/b].  Dang insects......
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Every night set out some plates of fruit and vegetables the grocery store is throwing away. Do this for about three weeks. It makes the meat taste better. Hint hint.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Most all city animal control will pick them up if you catch them! My mother had some stray cats that were left from previous renters,bothered her so I set my live bait cat trap for her,she called me next day saids she had one of those black&white not so cat like critters in there!

So as it turns out Its definatly a skunk,I call the Norman Animal control and they tell me to bring it to them and they will shoot it for me!

I tell them that shooting it is not the problem but being in the city limits and getting a fine for doing so would be a problem.

So I take my chineese ak pellet rifle pop him in the head,and he does the macareena and then lays down,I wait then put a bandana soaked in preferred stock (hell I stink worse than the skunk now)  Take it out of the trap and bury it out by the gas meter(figure nobody will notice the difference).

So if you are going to try and catch a coon you had better use something stronger than a cat trap as they will just tear if to pieces.

Good luck    Bob [8D]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/BoomStick/damncoons!.jpg[/img]
View Quote

[img]http://www.killfile.org/southpark/pics/jimbo.gif[/img]  Watch it Ned!  It's coming right at us!
[img]http://www.killfile.org/southpark/pics/ned.gif[/img][i]nnnnnnn-I'll get it...[/i]

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Why did you put pictures of racoons in your post?

That'll teach you to live by a liquor store.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Personally I think these buggers are damn cute.  I like wildlife hanging around my house.

My only concern would be to watch for signs of rabies.  If you see any, animal control should definitely come deal with the problem.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Hold on, I think I'm in the wrong place. Is this PETA or AR15.com?

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hold on, I think I'm in the wrong place. Is this PETA or AR15.com?
View Quote

What, I think raccoons are cool so suddenly I'm a militant enviro-whacko?  Please.

I guess the fact that I own guns means I'm going to go shoot up a school too, right?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why did you put pictures of racoons in your post?

That'll teach you to live by a liquor store.
View Quote

You and USNA91 can take this kind of crap and pack it in your ass.  [pissed]
View Quote

With a topic heading like that, it's just ASKING for comments from ethnocentrists.

I'm sorry if my BAD HUMOR has offended anyone.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd be careful....

Duh, haven't you all heard about the talks in progress?

[url=http://www.theonion.com/onion3620/raccoon_leaders.html]On to the Bushytail summit[/url]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
With a topic heading like that, it's just ASKING for comments from ethnocentrists.
View Quote

...and I'm not one for pushing buttons, nope, no siree!

Santyth, I like wildlife hanging around too. Squirls and raccoons mostly clown around and make me laugh.  I shoot at the free roaming cats [i](IMHO, all cats should be inside cats, unless they are on a farm)[/i] with my paintball gun, but I leave the REAL wild life alone unless they start becoming a nuisance.  So far these ones haven't, but I want to be prepared to call someone who will humanely remove them if they do become a problem.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#27]
[flame on and I dont give a shit. I am tired of seeing this shit over and over go on and not be dealt with]

Thank you MrBee. This is why you are a class act in my mind. At least you dont act like you dont see any derogatory statements, or hide behind the illusion of a joke, or just act like its really no big fuckin deal. Too damn bad you dont have the powers of the ones that let this shit go on, [b]over and over and over again[/b], with no reprecussions.

You are the man, and a star in my mind!

Anyone offended??? [b]GOOD![/b] You should be. You should be just as offended as I am of this shit being tolerated over and fucking over...Grow a pair and deal with this shit already! Wonder why mainstream/the left thinks the gun lobby is a bunch of hilljack rednecks???
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#29]
It is [b]NEVER[/b] dealt with.....

Last time I made a point regarding race baiting here I was told;

[i]"I'll have to say that the one yesterday was not, in my opinion started out on a racial
tone. However, it turned that way after you went off on people" [/i]

[i]"As to "coon"cerned, I really hope it was a typo"[/i]

[i]"I'd really hate to lock the current thread that is still active because of one stupid bigot"[/i]

and my favorite....

[i]"Finally, I would like to ask you to try not and provoke these people" [/i]

Now I made them say this crap......

The thread was vaporized...as if that dealt with the problem. The old ostrich in the sand trick.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:07:02 AM EDT
[#30]
They wouldn't be hanging around if there wasn't a good supply of food nearby. (Trust me on this one.) Get rid of the food supply and they will forrage elsewhere. City folk (animal control) tend to kill these guys because they are afraid (maybe rightly so) they will spread rabies if they relocate. Problem is by the time they test for rabies it's too late for the raccoon. I have several who hang around and I would rather have them there than the neighbors dog that barks first thing in the morning. Momma was probably telling you to back off her kits. Best guess for you is to live and let live. We have raccoons, possums, a bobcat and a coyote passing through our woods, along with deer, an occasional cow and lots of squirrells.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:50:01 AM EDT
[#31]
First off, sorry you have to deal with stoopid comments like that CavVet.  Obviously you are black.  I would like to think that the racism displayed does not represent the majority of us.

Second, where I come from, Racoons are trouble.  They are very plentiful, get into everything, and they fight with my dogs.  They also harbor a very nasty parasite that can affect humans.  I shoot them on sight and so do just about all of my neighbors (mostly farmers).  I barely stay even with them from year to year.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It is [b]NEVER[/b] dealt with.....

View Quote

It CAN NEVER be "dealt with" as it ought. Until we throw out the first Amendment.

That's why M---, I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the solution lies within yourself.

I ain't sayin' its easy, but I am sayin' its 100% effective.

Just to show I put my money where my mouth is....

"Christians" have the same hurdle. On this site, I, as a Chrsitian, have been accused of HORRIBLE things, not just called inconvenient names. If I react to their hatred and bigotry, they get all excited and do it more. If I ignore them, they go away.

About the raccons (critters) one poster said above "As long as there is a food source, the critters will stay near by."

Same is true of bigots. AS LONG AS they get a rise out of you, they are empowered. You are their foodsource.

Deprive them of their food source, and they'll leave.

In essence, your playing right into their perverted power trip.

Again, I ain't sayin' its easy, but it IS effective.

Peace, bro. I know you are sincere on this one .Never doubted that at all.

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top