Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2002 3:35:18 PM EDT
Man I am nervous about this.  The wife is going to never let me live it down if I don't pass.  

Wish me luck,
Patsue
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What ever you do, DON'T WRECK!!! [BD]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Just remember.  Look down, go down.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a 100 on my motorcycle test. It is pretty easy here in TX.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have wanted a bike for years.  Had a dirt bike growing up on the farm.  Finally quit thinking about it and did it.  Wife was fairly good about it but if I don't pass, well, I don't even want to think about it.  Passed the written test easily.  Just this hurdle tonight.

20 minutes to go...

patsue
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I know this is one of those situations that's easier said then done but here it goes....

Dude, why are you nervous?

The test is already scheduled.
There's no turning back now.

Being nervous will effect your performance.

Relax and be yourself.
If you do, I guarantee you pass.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Live to ride, ride to live man !!!  
Hope you dont crash and burn [B)]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here in Indiana, the riding tests start about April and run until October. I took mine in October 1995. It was the last session of the year. I had to be at the range 30 miles away at 8AM. It was 38°. I borrowed a friend's Honda V-45 and had my wife follow in the '89 IROC that we had at the time. I about froze on that ride and had to get in the car to warm up. Only one other guy showed up. The instructor didn't want to bother setting up the cones for just two people, so he signed our permits saying we passed the riding test and sent us on our way. [:D]
View Quote

October 1974, was when I did my test , but dont remember much. Was a lot of beers ago ! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, things are comming back to me, was riding a Suzuki 185 S/T, that was long time ago ............

Dam, I need a beer ! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
1.  Obviously, observe all laws.

2.  Approaching intersections, they want to see you scanning left/ahead/right/ahead/left.  If you are cruising along, oblivious to what is going on on cross streets as you approach the intersections, you may be failed.  Also, when changing lanes, LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER. Do not trust only your mirrors.  Stay aware of what is in your blind spots, and BE AWARE OF OTHER DRIVERS' BLIND SPOTS.  STAY OUT OF THEM.

3.  Make sure you use both brakes, 70% front, 30% rear or thereabouts.  I use mostly the front.  It has most of your stopping power due to weight transfer during braking.  During my road test, they had me pull over and stop.  They went by me in the van about a half block and pulled over.  They then had me signal, pull out, accelerate to 25 mph, and then on his signal, make an "emergency" stop WITHOUT skidding tires.   I was riding a borrowed 76 Yamaha 650 Special II with a windshield, and stopped in about 20 feet, with the rear wheel almost 2 feet off the ground. [:D]

4.  Stay out of the middle of the lane where the oily crap is, ride in the wheel tracks.

5.  Edited to add:  Here in Wisconsin, they are very picky that you signal turns properly.  If you do not shut off the signal BEFORE you complete the turn YOU FAIL!!!  My best friend who was a good rider I might add, failed twice on this one because he couldn't shut off the signal while clutching in the turn.

I passed 100%
Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I PASSED 100%!!!!

You were right, the key is to relax.  It helped to relax when this woman showed up to take the test also and promptly laid it over practicing the U Turn right in front of the testers as they were setting up the cones!

I helped her pick up the bike and gave her some advice.  I volunteered to be first and she was after me.  I got 100% and she passed making a few mistakes.

Whew, gonna reward myself with the wife tonight :)

hehe
patsue
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Congratulations! 'twasn't a thing!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#14]
It was easy, thanks for the encouragement gentlemen!

patsue
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#16]
GJ Man!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember my test. Got it pushed up because of my induction date in '68. Got there and the inspector told me what to do. Got nervous and forgot the figure eight. Pull up the the curb looking for the inspector. He comes out the door  a few minutes later holding a coffee cup. Says "Fine. Take this inside." Never even watched me. A week later the bike was under a tarp in my father's garage and I was at Ft. Dix.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1.  Obviously, observe all laws.

2.  Approaching intersections, they want to see you scanning left/ahead/right/ahead/left.  If you are cruising along, oblivious to what is going on on cross streets as you approach the intersections, you may be failed.  Also, when changing lanes, LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER. Do not trust only your mirrors.  Stay aware of what is in your blind spots, and BE AWARE OF OTHER DRIVERS' BLIND SPOTS.  STAY OUT OF THEM.

3.  Make sure you use both brakes, 70% front, 30% rear or thereabouts.  I use mostly the front.  It has most of your stopping power due to weight transfer during braking.  During my road test, they had me pull over and stop.  They went by me in the van about a half block and pulled over.  They then had me signal, pull out, accelerate to 25 mph, and then on his signal, make an "emergency" stop WITHOUT skidding tires.   I was riding a borrowed 76 Yamaha 650 Special II with a windshield, and stopped in about 20 feet, with the rear wheel almost 2 feet off the ground. [:D]

4.  Stay out of the middle of the lane where the oily crap is, ride in the wheel tracks.

5.  Edited to add:  Here in Wisconsin, they are very picky that you signal turns properly.  If you do not shut off the signal BEFORE you complete the turn YOU FAIL!!!  My best friend who was a good rider I might add, failed twice on this one because he couldn't shut off the signal while clutching in the turn.

I passed 100%
Good luck!
View Quote

First of all, what state is this? I have never heard of any m/c tests performed on streets, they usually set up cones and have you run some drills.  What, do they follow you around in a car and tell you what to do over a loadspeaker????  And second what is your buddy doing shifting in the middle of a turn!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh ya... VOOM VOOOM!!! [:)]

[img]http://greghavener.com/images/zx6r1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I did the Rider Safety Course  instead of the actual test.  Even though you passed the test I recommend taking the course it is very informative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top