Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2002 5:37:51 AM EDT
Well, I got a chance to go to NYC with the girlie and visit an old friend we are both friends with.  Any ideas on what I should do there besides go to WWF New York?  Damn I just realized...I'm scared to fly...oh damn...I'm getting scared just thinking about getting on a plane.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Apparently, eat pizza.

NYC is purported to have the best pizza in the U.S.

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#2]
How old are you? (Kind of helps with the suggestions)

Broadway plays, night clubs, plethora of bars, museums, central park, Yankees game/ I'm a Met's fan and they suck so don't waste your $$$, beaches out on Long Island, Times Square, the "Village", Chinatown, Little Italy, SoHo, what's left of the "Ground Zero" area...
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#3]
oh yeah, the pizza kicks ass!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How old are you? (Kind of helps with the suggestions)

Broadway plays, night clubs, plethora of bars, museums, central park, Yankees game/ I'm a Met's fan and they suck so don't waste your $$$, beaches out on Long Island, Times Square, the "Village", Chinatown, Little Italy, SoHo, what's left of the "Ground Zero" area...
View Quote

I'm 26 and bars and clubs aren't my thing anymore.  They got old after college ended.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#6]
WALK.  I went last year, just before 9/11, and I found that the best thing to do is grab your map and some water and just start walking.  I must have walked a hundred miles but I saw a lot.  There's no way to see it all but when I go again I'm going to do it the same way.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Do what I did and make a wrong turn and end up in the projects in Brooklyn at 11:00 PM on a Friday night. That will put some spice in your life.

Did anyone tell you to get some pizza?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do what I did and make a wrong turn and end up in the projects in Brooklyn at 11:00 PM on a Friday night. That will put some spice in your life.

View Quote

DOH!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Remember:
1.  The best looking hookers are COPS.
2.  Check for an Adam's Apple.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless you stay on a subway too long, its pretty rough to "make a wrong turn" and end up in Brooklyn projects.  You'd need to go ATLEAST 5 stops before you really started seeing shit.

My suggestion would be to go to central park, battery park, the museum of modern art(east side)/natural history (West side) on 81st street or thereabouts on either side of Central Park, I would hang out in Times Square, but only to see a show or grab a bite to eat AND DO NOT GO TO "BAR CODE!!!"  I'd also hit Chelsea Piers for bowling and other night life without alcohol type fun, Southstreet Seaport during the day for some grub and shopping.  Take a stroll down 5th or Park Ave during working hours to see many of the worlds millionaires and SKIP the horse ride through the park.  The ride wreaks of shit, especially with the hot weather!

I'd also hit atleast one upscale bar and have a couple drinks, only to feel the NY nightlife.  My suggestion would be "The Hudson"(58th between 9th and columbus) which is a block west and south of Central Park. You'll need NICE clothes to get in though and you'll be amazed at how cool the place is!  

Oh yeah, don't forget the Statue of Liberty!

I live on 60th and Columbus, throw me an email if you want more directions or advice.
Greg
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Katz's Deli way down on 42nd Street

The sign reads "Katz's That's It".  You'll get real hand slicced pastrami and corned beef on real bread.  

Don't be afraid of the city, it's not so bad since the last mayor cleaned it up a bit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Remember:
View Quote

From your experience?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember:
View Quote

From your experience?
View Quote

I admit to nothing but occasional lapses of judgment [;)]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:48:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Check out Scruffy Duffy's in Hell's Kitchen.  It's a nice little hole-in-the-wall.  Only a block and half from the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Remember:
View Quote

I'm a copper too does that mean the good looking hookers won't arrest me.  Think they'll buy it if I say I was doing my own undercover sting?    
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WALK.  I went last year, just before 9/11, and I found that the best thing to do is grab your map and some water and just start walking.  I must have walked a hundred miles but I saw a lot.  There's no way to see it all but when I go again I'm going to do it the same way.
View Quote

That's probably the best thing to do. You'll see more and have more fun by just walking around.

Go to little Italy and China town, they border each other.

If you want the *BEST* Italian food on the PLANET, go to Carmine's in the theatre district. I can not stress the greatness of this resteraunt enough.

Check out the Carnegie Deli. Their sandwiches consist of about 3 pounds of meat piled on a peace of bread (that's not an exageration).

Go to the Beretta gallery (I think it's on Madison). I've never been there but I've wanted to go for a while.

Southstreet seaport is also a cool place to walk around, as is Park Slope in Brooklyn.

Since you'll be there in the summer, take the train out to Long Island and go to the beach. Jones beach is only about 45 minutes away. East Hampton is about 2 hours. Fire Island is also an option.

I have been to the city countless times and I feel like I've seen almost nothing, so don't feel like you have to see everything and try not to be intimidated.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#17]
What to do?

Hold on to your wallet really tight and take a valium whenever you open it up =)
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#18]
[url]http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm[/url]

The Bronx Zoo

[url]www.bronxzoo.com[/url]

Fishing out of Cap Tree

[url]http://www.captreefleet.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did the same thing in the Bronx about 10 years ago.  I almost pooped my pants.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Too many recommendations to list.
I assume that you've never been, and because you're going there to see a friend, I'd suggest that for this trip (unless there's something that you're really dying to see or have always dreamed about), you see the city from your friend's perspective, and with your friend's advice in mind.  Head out with the local.  On a return trip, you'll have a better concept of what you're after.
I'm not sure that being scared is a solution to very many problems.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Hit the great art museums (Modern Art and the Met).  Ride the Staten Island Ferry.  [[:)]

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Where does your friend live? In Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens?

If you come downtown to the South Street Seaport you will be within walking distance to ground zero. I work right there and would love to meet for lunch and if your lucky, I will take you for a ride "NYC cabbie" style. [;)]
View Quote

Actually my friend lives right across the water in Jersey...so that's where we will be staying.  

LOL...that worries me since a couple of my friends that are very familiar with NYC said the cabbies will scare the hell out of you.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Where does your friend live? In Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens?

If you come downtown to the South Street Seaport you will be within walking distance to ground zero. I work right there and would love to meet for lunch and if your lucky, I will take you for a ride "NYC cabbie" style. [;)]
View Quote

Ditto, I'm across the street from Ground Zero @ 120 Broadway.  We should all get together for lunch or something.  

Pass on the NYC Cabbie ride, trust me!

Long Island beaches are also a must, I think they are the nicest in the country, MUCH nicer than CA beaches.  Water is warmer and the beaches are nicer.

Definately worth the trip!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
, the museum of modern art(east side)
View Quote

Flying's no biggie-wheeeeeee [bounce] - planes are fun when they take off. Have a couple of beers before you get on if it bothers you. Buy "The Ultimate Sniper Guide" or a Stephen Hunter novel or something else to read that goes along quickly and flights are a lot easier to take.
View Quote

Yeah if I bring that book I can see it now...some nosey ass lil airplane worker going thru my stuff and reports me and I get detained for several hours and grilled.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Aimless,

You think it would be a good idea for me to bring that book on a plane? [;)]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top