Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2002 4:20:40 PM EDT
I'm in the process of getting parts for my first AR. However, I have one problem: I don't know where there's a range that permits .223 in Milwaukee. The place I shoot my 1911 at isn't able to handle rifle-caliber ammo (except .22LR and such).

So, people from WI, what's a good rifle-friendly range (indoor or outdoor) within 30-40min of downtown Milwaukee?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
There's the [url=http://www.dbcl.org] Daniel Boone Conservation League[/url] in Hubertus. It's member only (I'm not a member), but they have an AR15 league. If I still lived in the area, I'd want to check them out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Badger Guns used to allow it but I don't think they do anymore. Only 25 yards anyway.

One of the guys at Badger used to go to a range near Racine IIRC and it went out to 600m. Might be worth a phonecall to them or stop in. They used to have a great selection but I've heard its gone downhill. Maybe you got your AR from them?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a place out in Racine, its member only. 600 or more yards out.
Army built it or something.  

c-rock
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The place near Racine with 600 yards is called "Racine County Line Range".  It is a military built range,  and is member only for open shooting.  They have regular highpower shoots as well as league shoots.  The deal is membership dues plus hours worked on the range for upkeep.  If you can afford the time the dues are very reasonable.  There are 2 skeet fields as well as a 300 yard range,  100 yard range and pistol range.  I am not a member.  There are usually some guys shooting skeet there on Saturday mornings,  and the gate is open.  I would recommend you drive down and talk to them about membership and details.  It is just south of the Oak Creek powerplant,  take Hwy 32 to 7 mile road,  7 mile east about a mile,  the entrance is easy to miss but it JUST west of the RR tracks about 100 feet.  First set of RR tracks BTW.

For 100 yard rifles the Wisconsin Sportsman is just off of I-94 at Hwy 11.  Go west on 11 about two miles.  The entrance is right across from the trailer park entrance.  Open Tuesday and Thursday nights,  and Sunday afternoons.  Dues are nominal,  and per use fee for ranges.  It is open to non-members as well,  but per use fees are higher.  25,  50 and 100 yard rifle,  two trap and one skeet field.  I am a member and it is a great value.

Kenosha Conservation Club Bristol Shooting Ranges has a 100 and 200 yard range for rifles.  They have regular highpower on reduced targets.  Range fees for non-members are kinda steep,  and I do not know what membership costs or entails.  

I hope this helps.  I have been reading over here for a while and finally had something to contribute so I registered LOL.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys (and if anyone knows another range, please post it)...

Badger Outdoors (ex B G&A) is where I go for pistol shooting, and .223 is off limits now.

I'm getting my AR lower from Buttrums Sporting Goods in Glendale (Oly, $125), and I'll be looking for a 'complete' parts kit at the next state-fair-park gun show (early Sept, IIRC).
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Saukville rifle and pistol club is about 35 miles north of the city. [url]www.saukvillerpc.com[/url]
Are there any public ranges in the Milwaukee area? Howbout good places just to drive out in the boonies and blast away. I'd like to get some tannerite to try out, but I don't know how well that would go over on most of these dues paying membership ranges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top