Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 12:22:15 PM EDT
SENECA LAKE, Ariz. — A man out camping with his brother woke up with one heck of a headache, only to discover that a bear was biting him in the head.
Thanks to his quick reactions — and to the handgun he was carrying — Rodney Black, 51, will be OK.
Black and his brother were sleeping at their campsite at Seneca Lake, Ariz., when Black said he felt an intense pain in his head. He said the next thing he knew, he was on the ground, blood was gushing everywhere and he couldn't see a thing.
His said his brother screamed out "Bear!” and he managed to get out his handgun and shoot the animal dead.
"I don't know where I hit him," Black told the Arizona Republic. "He went down on the first shot and I emptied my revolver into him. I knew that I needed to make that first shot, or I was in more trouble.
"A hungry bear is one thing. A hungry, angry bear is something even worse."
The nearly 200-pound bear was out scavenging due to the dire drought conditions in the Southwest, experts said, adding that Black and his brother didn't take proper precautions to keep him out of the neighborhood.
"These guys had grilled up some steaks and left the wrappers near where they were sleeping," Whitman Cassadore Jr., chief game ranger for the San Carlos Recreational Wildlife, Game and Fish Department, told the Arizona Republic.
"The bear was hungry, looking for some food."
Black was treated at a hospital and then released. State Game and Fish said it was the first bear attack in Arizona this year.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#1]
that was a SMALL black bear.....
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
"Hey George, what's his bear trying to eat me for."

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at this.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
[b]"These guys had grilled up some steaks and left the wrappers near where they were sleeping," [/b]
It is kind of funny.... these guys don't camp in the woods much do they?

He probably had some grease drooling out of the corner of his mouth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top