Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2002 3:17:11 AM EDT
As a LEO Officer I responded to a call of a prowler at aprrox 2330 hrs. The call comments stated a women and her husband were awaken by footsteps on their roof. They heard more footsteps and then heard what sounded like somebody was trying to open their garage door. Shortly after they heard the gate to their backyard slam.

I responded as quickly as I could. It took me about 5 minutes from when the call came in. With two backup units I checked the roof, backyard and garage. I found nothing. There was no other evidence. Who knows what it was? It couldve been kids screwing around, somebody trying to break in, or someone on drugs.

A suspect was never located. I informed the family that I had to leave. This man who was in his 40's stood there with his wife and looked me straight in the face. With a pale look on his face he said with concern, "but Officer, we dont have anything in the house to defend ourselves if they come back," obviously meaning they didnt own a gun. I had to tell the homeowner to defend himself with anything he had, a baseball bat, kitchen knife, etc.... I also told him to call back if they returned.

The look on his face was worth a thousand words. Here is a grown man in his own home feeling helpless and scared that he wont be able to protect his family and property if this jackass returns. I would like to have had all these anti-gun idiots there to show them what the right to bear arms is all about.

I just thought it might be interesting to share this incident to those who might appreciate it.        
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:27:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Ohaiclan:

Thanks for the story.  Previous to my owning a firearm, I had a similar experience.  The only thing I had to grab as an old French bayonet.  Granted, I wouldn't want to face it myself, but it was a poor substitute for a more effective weapon.  I remember the feeling I had when I was on the phone with the 911 dispatch and the dispatcher asked me if I was armed.  I kinda felt a little foolish holding an 1800's pig sticker.

I ended up with a new appreciation for firearms and a nice long skidmark on my front lawn where the deputy came to a stop.  Needless to say, I sleep rather well these days.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:35:04 AM EDT
[#2]
"The only thing I had to grab as an old French bayonet."

as long as you had practiced the phrase, "take anything you want, i surrender!", you would have been fine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"The only thing I had to grab as an old French bayonet."

as long as you had practiced the phrase, "take anything you want, i surrender!", you would have been fine.
View Quote

Well, at least in the early 1800's, the French had not yet perfected their fine art of surrender, so maybe this specimin was untainted.  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]
good stories. thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Ohaiclan:
did you suggest to the homeowner that he might want to consider getting a firearm and trainign for the adults in the household?

in the early 1800s the french were the baddest thing in europe kicked nearly everyone around. in fact that's part of the problem with the french, they still hearken back to the "glory days" of Napoleon. i sure hope the US never gets like that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for relating that to us.  It sure opens people's eyes when they are confronted with possible violence.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Man...that says it all.  Victim finally realized just how vulnerable he and his family are...and just how ridiculous it is to believe that the police can be everywhere at once and "protect" us all from the evildoers.

Good job...too bad you couldn't catch the prowler.

Hope that homeowner really gets the message and learns to defend himself with a firearm.  The more of us do so, the less violent crime our society will have to endure.

Hey...maybe we ought to send the guy a copy of Dr. Lott's book, "More Guns, Less Crime"?

[soapbox]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
in the early 1800s the french were the baddest thing in europe kicked nearly everyone around. in fact that's part of the problem with the french, they still hearken back to the "glory days" of Napoleon. [red]i sure hope the US never gets like that[/red].
View Quote

Er....haven't you been paying attention?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Ohaiclan...Thank you.

As a victim of crime once, I know exactly what you mean.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The look on his face was worth a thousand words. Here is a grown man in his own home feeling helpless and scared that he wont be able to protect his family and property if this jackass returns. I would like to have had all these anti-gun idiots there to show them what the right to bear arms is all about.
View Quote

He expected you to stay there and hold his hand.  I guess that makes him a liberal.  Goes back to the old saying "a liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet".

I have a great idea.  We need an ar15.com goon squad.  When someone has a problem like this, they could get their own armed goons for a mere $100 per hour per goon.  I wouldn't mind getting a call at midnight for a job like that. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Besides owning firearm(s), EVERYONE should have a good dog.
In a way, a dog is better than a gun...

[b][u]If you have family[/u][/b], what would you prefer?

...to have an armed confrontation with an intruder, INSIDE your home?

...or to have the would-be burgler move on at the sound of barking?

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Ohaiclan,

I'm going to send a copy of this to my liberal
sister in DC.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for sharing that with us.

Have you considered sending that story into one of the LEO magazines?  I think they might print it &, if they do, you get $100.00.

You might want to email that story to the anti-gunners in our govt. such as Finestein, Schummer, etc...not that they give a rat's ass about anyone but themselves.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#15]
You just wrote the perfect script for the next COA or GOA commercial.  Man would I love to see that on TV.  

Mike
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ohaiclan:
did you suggest to the homeowner that he might want to consider getting a firearm and trainign for the adults in the household?
View Quote

Probably too risky to his career to say something like that now days.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Ohaiclan,

Good story.  Somebody suggested that you send the story to one of the LEO magazines.  I'll go further and ask you to send it to several newspapers (particularly, newspapers in states where private ownership of firearms is under attack), as an example of why owning and training with firearms is a good thing.

If people read a story like this, written by a LEO, the media-inspired perception of "guns are evil" might start to change.  I'm sure all of us who are NRA members read "The Armed Citizen" every month, but that's simply preaching to the choir.  We need to get stories like this out in the mainstream press.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As a LEO Officer I responded to a call of a prowler at aprrox 2330 hrs. The call comments stated a women and her husband were awaken by footsteps on their roof. They heard more footsteps and then heard what sounded like somebody was trying to open their garage door. Shortly after they heard the gate to their backyard slam.

I responded as quickly as I could. It took me about 5 minutes from when the call came in. With two backup units I checked the roof, backyard and garage. I found nothing. There was no other evidence. Who knows what it was? It couldve been kids screwing around, somebody trying to break in, or someone on .

A suspect was never located. I informed the family that I had to leave. This man who was in his 40's stood there with his wife and looked me straight in the face. With a pale look on his face he said with concern, "but Officer, we dont have anything in the house to defend ourselves if they come back," obviously meaning they didnt own a gun. I had to tell the homeowner to defend himself with anything he had, a baseball bat, kitchen knife, etc.... I also told him to call back if they returned.

I just thought it might be interesting to share this incident to those who might appreciate it.        
View Quote

next time, take the man aside and say, "go get yourself a pistol, shotgun, and rifle (AR15 ofcourse) and take a saftey class on how to use the weapon and also get a ccw.  that way you will not be a victim!  have a safe and wonderful night sr.  oh and if you do get a gun, i recomed ______ (store)"
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I could see the antis version of it if Armed Citizen ever made a newspaper.

The Disarmed Citizen..
A South California man's family was shot dead when a criminal broke into the victams home. when the home owner saw the criminal he called 911 and proceeded to watch as the criminal raped then murdered his wife and 13 year old daughter. when police arrived the rapist-murderer ran out the back door into the waiting arms of police. when asked why he didnt try to stop the rape, the home owner said " I dont belive in self defense, thats your job"

Copyright - The Goverment Controlled Press of California (C)
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Maybe now they understand that even with a 5 minute response what could have happened in that 5 minutes and how helpless they were.  Hopefully they will get a workable defense and some training to use it.

What, no dogs with firearms pics?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven't had any kids stealing fruit from my back yard since I put up those Beware of Dog signs four years ago. Guess one of these days I should get a dog.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Screw Dog
Beware of Owner!

This is just the sort of thing that needs to be in the news. But it probably won't be. Sigh...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Screw Dog
Beware of Owner!

This is just the sort of thing that needs to be in the news. But it probably won't be. Sigh...
View Quote

News??
What's newsworthy about it?
A bump in the night, followed by a conversation?
That wouldn't even make for a good "COPS" episode.

Dogs are great.
They will keep your family safe.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
News??

Dogs are great.
View Quote

Umm, the dog thing was a joke. I always thought it would be funny to see that sign. Personally, I think a dog is a good ingredient to a home-defense plan. Even if it won't attack, 5 seconds of notice that there is an intruder in the house could be the difference between facing the intruder with a gun in your hand and being a helpless victim.

This story may not be front-page breaking news material, but more people need to be aware of the realities of a situation like this: The police cannot protect you. They were never intended to. The police are there to catch and punish criminals.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#26]
What kind of public servant are you? You should have tossed him one of your "souvenir" pistols out of your trick bag! Just kidding...........
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
News??

Dogs are great.
View Quote

Umm, the dog thing was a joke. I always thought it would be funny to see that sign. Personally, I think a dog is a good ingredient to a home-defense plan. Even if it won't attack, 5 seconds of notice that there is an intruder in the house could be the difference between facing the intruder with a gun in your hand and being a helpless victim.

This story may not be front-page breaking news material, but more people need to be aware of the realities of a situation like this: The police cannot protect you. They were never intended to. The police are there to catch and punish criminals.

View Quote

Damn!...and that Imbroglio keep on telling me to call 911 [:(!]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top