Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 12:25:33 AM EDT
Had a possom problem (coming into the yard and eating my cats food, and sleeping in my cat's dog'gloo in the yard).  My cat stays in the garage at night, so I caught the possom and shot it with a .22 short.  Wasn't pretty, but real effective.  Problem: blood and airborne disease?  Washed down the concrete yard, hosed to the dirt.  Washed the cat's bowls with water.  Do I need to bleach?  Should I keep my cat away from the yard in fear of airborne disease?  Anything else I should know?  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah, skin it, eat it, and wear its fur for a hat.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#2]
have it stuffed and use it as a paper weight
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure that SOB is dead, I "killed" one once, put him in a garbage bag tied it shut and put it in the garbage can,  two days later I saw the garbage can moving, looked inside, guess what, that SOB was still alive inside the garbage bag! I let him go, I figured he deserved to live after all of that. They play "possum" very well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What confederate said.

You nearly have to drive a stake through their heart to kill 'em. They are the hardest of all animals to kill. I know. I trapped for a living and sent many of them to the fur buyers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#5]
If it bleeds, you can eat it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:55:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you need a little Possum Helper:

[img]http://cnr2.kent.edu/~bnorman/auctions/Possum_helper.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:58:57 AM EDT
[#8]
[b]STEW time![/b]

Don't forget to throw in the eye balls. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:19:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it bleeds, you can eat it.
View Quote

I'd have to be awful hungry to eat a possum.

Those muthas are nasty road kill eating giant rats.
View Quote

Hell, as long as there's REAL food out there I ain't touching the prehensile tailed critters.

But I know some of the guy's here will eat anything!  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Bleach is one of the best disinfectants.  I you're worried about rabies, take the possom (or just the head) to your local animal shelter or vet.  They will send it off to the proper lab to have it diagnosed free of charge.

Also, does your cat have its proper vaccinations?  If you think that it has been exposed to rabies, perhaps you should get a rabies booster.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:41:15 AM EDT
[#11]
you shudda shot the cat & kept the Possum.......!! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you shudda shot the cat & kept the Possum.......!! [:D]
View Quote

Ditto! [:D]

Eric The(AtLeastThePossum[u]Has[/u]APrehensileTail!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#13]
To quote Ted Nugent

"KILL IT & GRILL IT"
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Well at least you got 1 serious response. Sucks, doesn't it?
I would wash your pet's bowls with something more than water. Any household disinfectant couldn't hurt. A phone call to your Vet or animal control for whatever jurisdiction you live in, might be in order. They should have specific answers to your questions
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Possum and Sweet Potatos...YUM!  (So I hear...)
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Cats are very resiliant animals.  I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it is a house  cat I would assume it comes into contact than alot worse than alittle possum blood from time to time.  If you are really worried rinse with alittle bleach.    
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need a little Possum Helper:

[img]http://cnr2.kent.edu/~bnorman/auctions/Possum_helper.gif[/img]
View Quote

I emailed that picture to my brother in NC. His response:

> That's not a joke - I've seen it at winn-dixie...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll just be as sinical as the rest.  It's reall Opossum.  All in all, you shouldn't be too worried about rabies, they have a very strong immune system against rabies, they aren't really a carrier.  Fleas would be your biggest concern with it.  If opossums are a big problem in your area, try bringing the food indoors so it doesn't attract them.  Kinda like all the fools here who wonder why a black bear is in their yard eating their dog/cats food and garbage thats been sitting around for days, tag it or kill it if it's a repeat offender.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#19]
marinate in teriyaki.......

[red][size=4]and fire up the [b]GRILL[/b] ![/size=4][/red]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top