Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 9:51:38 PM EDT
i'm having a house built. and i payed a lot of extra money for a basement. unfortunatly i'm working out of town and cant get to the site but once every 10 days or so. well i head over there this past weekend and my basement follows the contour of the ground. meaning the end of my basement that is exposed with a walk-in door and a window isnt poured concrete. its woodframe. only the parts of the basment underground are concrete. im pretty pissed. i wanted a BASEMENT not some half-ass thing. also it has no drainage. no sump-pump, floor drain or french drain WTF. anyone familiar with GA building codes and modern construction techniques. all the basements i know of are full basements with 4 concrete walls. did i get screwed?
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, are you talking about a walk out basement?  If so then what you are describing is pretty common.  As far as drainage goes, that's a matter of building codes.
Make sure they adhere to them and if you want above and beyond local, be prepared to pay extra for it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Show me the plans and specifications and I'll tell you if you got screwed.  Builders build only up to the standards you set.  I'm VERY familiar with the business so if you have any questions...
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to work construction and that is how we always did it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top