Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2002 7:49:58 PM EDT
What do you think of this new Harley? Gotta say I think it's bad ass. I've never owned one before, and I'm not real sentimental about their classic models....though the Fat Boy is really pretty cool.

What do YOU think about the V-ROD? Sound off.
[img]www.chandlerharley.com/chandlerharley/vrod.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I just must be old school... to me, this is a Harley Davidson... [;)]

[img]www.brylliant.com/images/1980_FXWG_Wide_Glide.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always been a fan of the old styling.  Fat Boy for me thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it looks KILLER!!

Anytime you have a combo like Harley+Porche its gotta equal something great,NO?

I enjoy the looks of all Harleys in a different way,but everyone I've talked too that ownes one(a Harley)hates the V-rod.They say its a Yuppie,poseur bike that just jacks up the makes overall Price.I think the engine configuration and the fact that there all already totally tricked out(and alike)has some to do with the sour welcome.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I gotta admit, it looks HOT.  But a water-cooled Harley?  That's just wrong.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
[b][blue][i]Road Glide[/i][/blue][/b]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/BusMaster007%2F02%5Fpg%5FTour%5FFLTR%5F1%5Ff9af%2Ejpg[/img]

Before I die.
I tried to cop the 2003 Gunmetal Pearl picture from the H-D site, but, it wouldn't work.
Check out the Road Glide section:
[url]http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/MOT/2003/03_model_styling.asp?bmLocale=en_US&WebLogicSession=PTUDGnsOZ7XQTF4St2cZLfRm1ARbbP8a5m8i1MoLOSBOYRkaz4Qr|4443850163275558843/181237801/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1|-344048276310997544/181237815/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1&market=US&family=Touring&model=FLTR&modelSection=styling[/url]
edited to add:
The V-ROD is beating the foreign competition at their own game.
There IS NO substitute.
Nothing beats a Harley.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:34:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just must be old school... to me, this is a Harley Davidson... [;)]

[img]www.brylliant.com/images/1980_FXWG_Wide_Glide.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Yes my friends that was the first year of the Wide Glide...a 1980 FXWG.  Back when Willie G. was relevant.

My last chop was built out of a 1984 WG.  Early '84 at that.  Shovelhead with factory 5-star cases, dry clutch, belt drive etc.

Took a couple years to get it right but Ruby was a smooth ride.  Kept her at 80 inches but she used to walk away from 110 inch motors.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Now thats one fugly bike...saw one last Sun at the Wayne Leon ride. Whats up with that ugly radiator up front???!!! Yuk!!!!! It gets worse...While riding next to it it sounded like a sewing machine..I've also read in the cycle mags that it is extremely uncomfortable to ride. I guess if you can put up with the looks, it would make a nice garage queen..If I want to look at smething and not ride it, I'll get a restored 60's Triumph. Well, it's time to change the oil in my FXST....
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Too bad you only get to vote once.

I think it is very cool and it wouldn't be my first choice in a Harley.

I think it is the bike Harley needed to build for the next generation of riders.  I only hope they keep making the old style a while longer for us "old school" types.

I'd sure like to see that motor tucked into a tradionally styled HD bagger though.  I've seen a Photoshop job and it looked pretty darn good and would be a bagger with some get up and go.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine who owns 5 harleys got the V-Rod 2 weeks after it was released. I've ridden it. It is the most powerful Harley I've ever parked my buttcheeks on(and I've ridden quite a few, right up to race bikes) If you've got the dough, buy one. Nuff' said.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Now thats one fugly bike...  I guess if you can put up with the looks, it would make a nice [b]garage queen[/b]...
View Quote

Around here we call those [b]GARAGE CANDY[/b].
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Harleys have some faults, styling is rarely one of them. Don't know how the faithful will like the exposed rear shocks and emphasis on the exposed frame tho.

View Quote

The faithful will accept the shocks. The rest of it is the problem. The Softail is a extra heavy, non handling setup. I prefer a normal swingarm & shock setup anytime. The problem will be with the water cooling & the sound primarily. Us HD guys are kinda partial to an throaty V-twin rumble & water is for cars. I like that HD is trying new stuff to get new customers. Some of the info they gain on the Vrod may even help us air cooled guys. Bottom line, not my cup of tea, but kinda cool. Maybe some of the Jap / Euro guys will buy US made.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[b][blue][i]Road Glide[/i][/blue][/b]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/BusMaster007%2F02%5Fpg%5FTour%5FFLTR%5F1%5Ff9af%2Ejpg[/img]

View Quote

I own that exact bike only with a 2 into 1 Vance&Hines Pro Pipe, 211 cams, 1550cc big bore kit, heads ported and polished, 9.5:1 compression.  It pushes 90 HP and 91 ft lbs of torgue!! This fall I will put the new Screaming Eagle EFI calibration components and get it up to ~97 HP. By spring the 60HP shot of N2O will be on it and I will be done then!! 90HP right now though is awesome, but I can't wait to get to ~150+!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#15]
The magazines are reporting 11.3's. For $20k, should be in the 9's or less. . .

Pretty bike.
Would own one, if had enough money leftover after other bikes.

It does sound better than the stock air-cooled motors, detuned with drag pipes + no jetting.
[url]http://www.bikermoney.com/other/Vrod.mp3 [/url]

Just sat on a Buell Firebolt. 1/2 the money, and quite trick. Used 916/996's are also~$10k.

For $20k, would go RSV Mille.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#16]
It is about time that HD made something based on a new design rather then tweaking a concept that is 50+ years old.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I want to look at smething and not ride it, I'll get a restored 60's Triumph. Well, it's time to change the oil in my FXST....
View Quote

Dude, I ride my Triumphs. '65 Bonnie, '71 Bonnie, '73 Tiger & '78 Bonnie. I do prefer the '77 FLH dailey rider though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw one on the road here in York, PA.

This is the FIRST Harley I would actually seriously consider buying.

It's 'kewl'
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I saw one on the road here in York, PA.

This is the FIRST Harley I would actually seriously consider buying.

It's 'kewl'
View Quote

See what I mean?  This is how HD has stayed in business for 100 years.

Retain a loyal following, but every few decades, build something that attracts new customers that would not consider your product otherwise.

The V-Rod is the future.  Us "old timers" will just have to get by with our "Twincams", "Evo's", "Shovels", "Pan's",    "Knuckles" and "flats".

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn't buy one or ride one for crap. V-Rod looks like Jap scrap. Harley must've not taken their meds when they designed that. Yuck!

Actually, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of paying three times what a part is worth just because it has H-D stamped on it. Plus I challange their claim that HD's are manufactured with 95% american parts. I think they're in bed with the japs and this new design indicates that they are.

We need an American bike to compete with them like Indian maybe.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#21]
and, on a somewhat related note......

[url]http://www.westcoastchoppers.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#23]
i have a flattie, a knuck and a shovel.

i'ld own the rod...but not for that kind of jing. $20k? for that kind of money i'll buy another used suzi gsxr, a used duck and another stupidglide project bike.

where's the poll reply that says, "folks got waaaay to much money"?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#24]
if i wanted the import bike look, i would have purchased an import bike, saved a lot of money and dumped the harley dealer 'attitude'.

it looks ok, but not what i think of after riding harley's for years.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope, the V-Rod engine is not based on the VR1000.
Totaly different animals.

That dosen't mean that the knowledge gained in racing the VR1000 wasen't applied to the V-Rod bike as it was being designed.

Quoted:
Edited to add-I like it! Based on VR1000 race engine [8D]-is it water cooled (sacriledge) I'd better there's a radiator hidden in that cowling at the front of the frame
quote]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#26]
To me, it doesn't look quite right. I would like to assemble a set of digital gauges & speedometer into the air cleaner (what looks like a gas tank) and change the headlight to look more like a Harley and less like a BMW.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#28]
The V-ROD is Authentic Harley, it broke down on the first test run by Mr. Harley...  Classic American engineering.  Are they still being bailed out by the G'ovt?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:04:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Are Jap manufacturers still Dumping crap on the American market??
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are they still being bailed out by the G'ovt?
View Quote

Your ignorance of the issue at hand reveals your credibility.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:21:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they still being bailed out by the G'ovt?
View Quote

Your ignorance of the issue at hand reveals your credibility.
View Quote

Not to mention his reference to "Mr. Harley"....
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
. . .challange their claim that HD's are manufactured with 95% american parts.
View Quote

Until the recent years, the solid Fatboy wheels were made in Taiwan.

Screamin' Eagle chrome, is also Taiwanese.

Showa forks, Mikuni carbs, bla bla.

Put 100k on a k-bike. They'd yell "Rice Burner!"
"It's a sauerbraten-burner, you idiot."

On a duc, they'd yell "Rice Burner!"
"It's a pasta-machine! What are you on? A Duncan-Hines burner? Peanut Butter & Jelly La-Z-Boy? So you failed geography also."

All in fun.
Whether bar to bar, or coast to coast, we all understand easing out the clutch, and pulling out in 1st gear.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#33]
You forgot the its a Harley therefore it sucks option.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Arock, what would help the Vrod? I'm thinking something in the exhaust area......
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I think it's pretty cool. After living in Germany for 3 years, I developed a taste for that sort of styling, but I still like something a little more traditional. I just ordered this last week. It's the 2002 Fire Fighter limited edition. They are only making 500 and 10 are going to my station.
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/SchlaffTablett%2FFFHarley%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Arock, what would help the Vrod? I'm thinking something in the exhaust area......
View Quote

[img]http://www.chandlerharley.com/chandlerharley/vrod.jpg[/img]

Gun-fan...that's a question that requires different thinking than which drag bars to use to split lanes.

When looking at a V-Rod I see a Monstroso on steroids.

Gonna say things like cafe racers use, not like my chop.  I wonder how the V-Rod handles?  Looking at the front-end geometry in the pic I see more rake than the FXWG and what appears to be similar trail with the steering head angle being extended too.  Wonder how hard it is to lean a V-Rod into a turn?

Frankly the design will appeal to folks who are looking at Ducks or Fireblades.  Customers with money who want the biggest hammer in the box, whether or not they can ride to its potential.  And that, I think, will answer your question.  See what 993 buyers are paying for in the after-market.  Exhaust cans, titanium bits, light brakes, Dianese leathers, that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I have watched this thread for a couple of days trying to decide if I like it.  I hate to admit it, but I DO!!!  I DO!!!!

OH YES, IT WILL BE MINE, OH YES!!!

patsue
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
. . .whether or not they can ride to its potential. . .
View Quote

Arock,
Despite the evergrowing number of squids and stunters, how many cruiser guys have you heard say,
"yeah, lost the front, so had to put her down."

Compared to:
Jason Pridmore, at Grattan & Mid-Ohio's track schools,
"You haven't crashed, until the asphalt is grinding your helmet - keep driving!!!"

Think much of the vrod's disparaging, from current Harley owners, is from their uncomfortableness, with throwing a leg over the vrod's "performance".

Your're right about the duc & blade crowd being targeted. The 20-40somethings have been somewhat repelled by HD's - until now. They're gonna have to best Buell, or benefit from Buell's success (in competing with gixxer/ape/duc - am looking at a firebolt?!), while the farting-pig recliner crowd heads to extinction.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Some old timer said that "only acurate rifles are interesting"...(Cooper?)   I say,  "Only fast bikes that handle are interesting."    I would prefere to buy an american bike to a jap' one.   But untill an American manufacturer can build something like a CBR900RR  i'll stick to rice rockets.  Buell's dont count, they still use a 50 year old engine design.    Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top