Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2002 7:29:54 PM EDT
I recently bought a Mil dot scope from another board member and was going to sell my other Leupold M1 LR to replace the funds used for that so I could buy CMP Garands for my son and myself. Then this past weekend I shot DVDTrackers .50 BMG rifle. Way cool! I have enough extra money (read balance left on the CC) that I can get my own .50 BMG. But I wouldn't have enough to get the Garands also. Plus if I get the .50 I would need to keep the scope to use on it because I could not afford to buy another good scope like it. So what do I do?

Sell the scope, get the Garands, and other goodies.

or

Keep the scope and buy the .50 BMG?

Such a dilemma[:(]

FYI: my son is almost 22, shoots High Power matches and is USMC
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the .50
AB
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say get the .50.  You're here in California and lord knows how long until they outlaw them. Came pretty close already this year.  Plus, come on, it's a .50.  The coolest thing still available in this god forsaken state.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
[Homer] ummmmmmmmmm.... .50 [/Homer]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Since I don't know you personally I'll offer you these thoughts...
If your son is young and interested in shooting I would certainly go for the Garands to nurture yet another young'un into the shooting sports.
If you know your son doesn't show any real interest in wanting to get into the shooting world - then, no contest, the .50 wins...
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the .50 while you still can!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get the .50 while you still can!
View Quote

Yep.
You will be a HERO in your Son's eyes someday for that move.
Share the wealth.
Work OT to get the credit cards down.

[devil]Man, that 50 BMG is what you REALLY want, isn't it? [dracula]

[;D]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
DUDE!!!!

Get the damn 50!!!  That thing rocked!!  And if you really need a scope I have a Smimmons 4x12x44 that I will give you a very cheap price....assuming I get to shoot the 50!  I know it ain't the best scope out there but it will easily do the job.

I'm serious about this.  Hell, I might even give it to you for free if you let me shoot the 50 often enought[:D]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of .50 are you thinking about?
I want the Barrett semi auto, but it costs about $7000 too much for me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Sell me the scope for $25 and use the money to find a womenz.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Aw, heck, sell the son and get both!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#13]
haha, I've been feeling the urge to get a .50 for some time, but this statement from Serbu's FAQ concerning warranties just about seals the deal

"As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Blah, blah."

That sounds like something I would write.

I need to shoot one of these things.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sell the scope, get the Garands, and other goodies.

or

Keep the scope and buy the .50 BMG?

Such a dilemma[:(]

FYI: my son is almost 22, shoots High Power matches and is USMC
View Quote

Either way, as long as I get to shoot it... I might not compete with a Garand anywhere but the El Dorado CMP matches. But a .50... I'd be shooting off the deck every weekend!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Aw, heck, sell the son and get both!
View Quote

You no get to shoot at my quarry no more.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Keep scope
Buy .50 for Pthfndr
Buy 1 Garand for son
Everybody happy
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#18]
If you have credit card debt...pay it OFF.  Don't get stuck in the trap of paying those high interest rates.  In fact, even if the interest were zero forever (will never happen), it is unwise to owe on things you have already purchased (and in many cases, already consumed like food, clothing, gas, etc.).

Why would you want to take out an 19.8% loan on a $25 meal at Chili's and pay it out over 12 months?!?!?  That's what you do when you have credit card debt.

The .50BMG will not increase in price at the same rate as your credit card debts...so pay it off!!!!!!!!  You'll feel the monkey slip off your back when you do.  How can you plan for retirement when you aren't paying THIS month's bills off?

Once cards are paid off, buy the .50!!!  Your son is old enough to buy his own toys!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Get out of debt.  Especially in this economy!  Taking on the risk and expense of debt for a non-necessity item it nuts.  I’d like a .50 as much as the next guy would.  But if I can’t pay cash for it I have no business buying it.  I think America’s consumer/credit card debt might be the net Enron/Worldcom type crash.  

If you had cash I’d say get the .50.  Garands are not politically evil and will be available for some time.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You no get to shoot at my quarry no more.
View Quote

Oh, come on....it can't be that bad.  Who knows, the new owner might like guns even more.  See if he can find a class 3 dealer to sell you too.... [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top