Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 7:28:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know too much about this but what is the weight of the trailer (loaded with your stuff, water, food, etc.) and what is the towing capacity of the F-150?  The manufacturer's published towing capacity should be the absolute maximum you tow.

I you can get on usenet, check out the rec.outdoors.rv-travel.  They have lots of information and knowledge.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]
That kind of weight sounds real iffy for anything less than a 3/4 ton truck. Most trailer manufacturers are notorious for understating the true weight of their products. Also, they're usually stated as the "dry" weight, which doesn't include 30+ gallons of water, 30+ gallons of grey water, 30+ gallons of black water, 8-16 gallons of propane, plus your  family's personal stuff.

The truck's 6500 pound tow rating sounds high, unless you ordered the trailer package, lowest axle, etc. Make sure you confirm the truck's rating before proceeding. If it's OK, strongly consider installing the biggest automatic transmission cooler you can find, along with synthetic ATF. A transmission temperature gauge is also an excellent idea.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:38:01 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a question for The Camp Ninja. Seek his wisdom.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm afraid you're  very short om the power side. you really need a mid size v-8 for a trailer that size, it is about the same as mine.i use a chevy halfton with a 350 and 3.42 gears.

Have you thought about the pop-up trailers? They make some really nice ones now, air cond, bathroom and all, and you have plenty of power to pull one of them. Good luck...fullclip
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#5]
My dad just bought a Siverado V8 5.3 w/ Towing package to tow his 4700lbs fifth wheel.  Pulls fine, but rode very low when it was fully loaded with gear, water, etc.  We put in some new leaves in the spings, and it improved a nice bit.  Not many steep inclines around here, though.  

You might want to look into a fifth wheel as well.  Easier to manuver, and not as hard on your truck, as the weight is bourn above your rear axle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#6]
You are way under powered...imo or you need an all aluminum trailer.
Do you have an auto tranny ...need tranny cooler and engine oil cooler...
And a lower rear end.. Check out trailer lifes web site..I think they have towing charts there you might find usefull.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top