Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 5:15:38 PM EDT
I have a AMD 233 K6 3D NOW processor in a socket 7 motherboard. What is the fastest processor I can easily install? I believe it is a Phoenix BIOS.
I would like to avoid a lot of fiddling with bios changes and stuff like that. Just want to re and re the prcessor.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.
BP
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the chipset--if you're lucky, it is one that will support a 100MHz front side bus, and you can put a K6-2 550 in the syetm.

If not, at least those CPUs are not multiplier locked, and you're only limited by what the BIOS itself supports--the bad news there is it's probably only 5.5-6x (max of 400MHz)
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, you would be better off getting a new motherboard combo with a faster celeron on it if cost is a concern.

I am currently buying Pentium III 1.2 GHz, 256MB computers complete for under 500.00 assembled and with Win2K installed on them for my network.

Should start getting into the P-IV's by the end of the year. Keep in mind these are simple workstations but they are way faster than what you currently have.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You are pretty much at EOL (end-of-life) with your system.  It isn't goin to get much faster, any difference would be negligible, and the money could be well spent doing what others have suggested - replacing the machine.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
A store called Fry's Electronics in CA offered $179 Build yourself kit.  Came with speakers, motherboard w/ onboard video and sound, floppy drive, case, mouse, keyboard, and AMD Athlon XP1700+.  All you had to do was install harddrive and PC133 memory.  If I remember correctly it didn't have AGP slot, and its not compatible with DDR but its much more faster than what you have now.  Build a new PC, its not worth the upgrade of your system.    
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We'd need to know what motherboard you have, but seriously, you'd be FAR better off with a new board and CPU.

New mobo: $150
2GHz Athlon XP: $180
512MB DDR RAM: $100-120

It's a whole new world for under $500.

-Troy
View Quote

You can go a lot cheaper than that.  An AMD Athlon XP 1900 (actual speed 1.6GHz, but outperforms an Intel 2.0GHz) is under $100 now.  I priced it out on [url]http://www.pricewatch.com[/url] at $275 for the cheapest, or $385/$420 for top quality (Soyo Dragon Plus or Soyo Dragon Ultra, depending on whether you want a 266MHz DDR board or a 333MHz DDR board -- the slower Plus has a smart-card reader built in, if you're into that).

D*mn, prices have gone up in the last few weeks.  Two weeks ago, I could've gotten all that for $350. [:(]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
give up on the upgrade. I bought a HP 5100N from [url]www.ubid.com[/url] - 1.3g celeron, 512mb Ram, 60gb hd, cdrw, and  dvd rom- running xp, loaded with software, 100mb NIC, 56k modem etc., With HP factory warranty for $389.

I couldn't build it for that.
no shit.

[8D]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got a MoBo and AMD 1700 cpu combo for $150, works with DDR or pc133 ram.

It Kicks ass!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]
i build lots of machines... i buy almost everythign from newegg.com. all the geek overclockers love the place, me inclusive.

if you look on pricewatch.com, be sure to check on the vendors at resellerratings.com - there are lots of low priced vendors that are rude, effectively won't RMA anything, ship whenever they feel like it, et cetera.

if you go with an AMD thunderbird you will need to upgrade to a high quality power supply, amd.com has lists of approved and recommended power supplies - i use an antec 400 watter in the machine i'm using now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top