Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2012 4:58:01 PM EDT
If one or more of your guns is stolen, what are the chances that you will ever see it again? Do they ever get returned to the rightful owner?
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never known anyone personally that has...
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Some guys have posted interesting pictures here.

In one case the gun appeared to sit for years in a police storage room (based on the evidence tag) and he only got the gun back as someone was tasked with cleaning up the room, so the person responsible really made an effort to contact the former owner at that point.  If I recall it was a nice chromed 1911 or SIG 220 type gun, but had some dried blood on it when he got it back
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Between slim and none.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Our Dept will return the weapon once the court is done with the case.  But if you do not have your sales paperwork it will be destroyed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#5]
If the rightful owner can be identified. If the owner has proof of ownership

If you were paid off through your insurance, your insurance company is now the recovered properties rightful owner.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Our Dept will return the weapon once the court is done with the case.  But if you do not have your sales paperwork it will be destroyed.

So no original sales slip, no gun? That could be the shits.

ETA: If you know, what's the percentage of returned versus destroyed?
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Hi Power was stolen from me in 1989 and I got it back in 1992 but not without a fight. It was found on a drug dealer in the next town over and I found out by mistake they had the gun. A detective had applied to receive the gun sstating they could not find the owner (which was BS- my address was the same and the gun was in NICS). Short version- I got it back.

I had a Combat Commander stolen a few years later by a roommates friend. That has never been recovered that I know of.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Between slim and none.

And Slim just left.

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
My uncle had my grandfathers Beretta 70 in his trunk. The car got broken into and the gun got stolen.

About a week later my uncle got a call fro the local PD that they recovered the gun. apparently the thief was loitering at a store at 3am and got "questioned" by the cops and the Beretta model 70 was found on him. We are still waiting for the cops to finish the investigation, and for the trial to get started and finished for the gun to be returned. I plan on making a offer to my uncle for it, as it is a family heirloom now, and will be better looked after in my possession.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one returned once after a break in at the apt. complex where I used to live ALONG time ago. I got a call from the local p.d. which said to bring a photo ID to pick it up.

I seriously thought one of my buddies was fucking with me on the phone ! The Sgt. on the phone was like ....
No.... This IS Sgt. xxxxx from xxxxx p.d. .... come pick up your weapon !
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I got one of two back. It took a lot of legwork on my part and not a lot of cooperation from the department that had it.  The detective in charge of the case was somewhat helpful. The only thing that was different from when it was stolen was a small nick in the frame, the hogue grip replaced with the standard grips and the 9mm mag it had was replaced with a .40cal mag. (I don't know.)  I sarcastically asked the one that turned the weapon over to me why a small time crook would bother replacing a hogue with factory grips...he just scowled at me in response.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#12]
About two years ago my house was broken into . The thieves took a wii, my tv and a USP45 (bedside pistol). I got the pistol back almost one year to the day it got stolen, tv and video game have never been heard from again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I hope your PD get its ass Sued along with the city.

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#14]
0.01% give or take.  Pretty much like anything else, really.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I had 17 stolen from me in Fairfield, CA in 1995.  I've not ever received any of them back.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#16]
My home was burglarized in 1989 and 4 firearms were stolen, 2 handguns and 2 Evil Black Rifles.  The moment I saw they were gone I knew who had stolen them.  A former co-worker had visited me earlier that day and I had discussed my schedule with him, and when I returned home that night I had been robbed.  I knew it was him, I never should have let him into my home earlier that day.  There had been rumors that he had started doing heroin and other hard drugs, and the theft was total confirmation.  I had been STUPID.

And so had he.  As soon as he left with my stuff, he had gone straight to a brand new local pawn shop to sell my property.  He did not know that it was a front, a sting operation being ran by law enforcement.  He was photographed selling my stuff, his fingerprints were found on the guns, and he ended up pleading guilty to this and other crimes.

It took about a year to get my guns back, and I will never forget the conversation I had with a local cop when I turned up to collect by returned property.  He told me that no one other that law enforcement should be "allowed" to own such weapons, and if he had his way they would be destroyed.  I told him that it was good that he wasn't getting his way, and I walked out the front door with all 4 guns.

Several people who were outside were staring as I carried them back to my pickup. I bought a vault shortly thereafter.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My home was burglarized in 1989 and 4 firearms were stolen, 2 handguns and 2 Evil Black Rifles.  The moment I saw they were gone I knew who had stolen them.  A former co-worker had visited me earlier that day and I had discussed my schedule with him, and when I returned home that night I had been robbed.  I knew it was him, I never should have let him into my home earlier that day.  There had been rumors that he had started doing heroin and other hard drugs, and the theft was total confirmation.  I had been STUPID.

And so had he.  As soon as he left with my stuff, he had gone straight to a brand new local pawn shop to sell my property.  He did not know that it was a front, a sting operation being ran by law enforcement.  He was photographed selling my stuff, his fingerprints were found on the guns, and he ended up pleading guilty to this and other crimes.

It took about a year to get my guns back, and I will never forget the conversation I had with a local cop when I turned up to collect by returned property.  He told me that no one other that law enforcement should be "allowed" to own such weapons, and if he had his way they would be destroyed.  I told him that it was good that he wasn't getting his way, and I walked out the front door with all 4 guns.

Several people who were outside were staring as I carried them back to my pickup. I bought a vault shortly thereafter.

Nice.

One question though, isn't there a law in Cali that you all are required to have a safe or vault fr your guns?
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#18]
A friend of mine had .22 rifle stolen out of his truck in Missouri when he was 18.

35 years later he gets a call from police. It had turned up in Oregon.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a Garand stolen, and it was returned within the week.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I have had gun stolen a couple times, I have not gotten them back
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]
If you've got a serial #, there's a chance.  Seen it work out plenty.  If you're lucky, the thieving dumbass tries to get rid of them at a pawn shop.  If they make it to the street the serial #'s will more than likely end up being obliterated.

If you don't have a serial # to give to the po-po, you probably aren't going to see the gun again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.

One question though, isn't there a law in Cali that you all are required to have a safe or vault fr your guns?

Maybe now, but not in 1989-90.  I was worried that the Roos-Roberti Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989 would have screwed me out of my property, but I guess that LEO had never heard of it....

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Pretty slim in my experience...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you've got a serial #, there's a chance.  Seen it work out plenty.  If you're lucky, the thieving dumbass tries to get rid of them at a pawn shop.  If they make it to the street the serial #'s will more than likely end up being obliterated.

If you don't have a serial # to give to the po-po, you probably aren't going to see the gun again.

I had 5 pistols stolen when my house burglarized in 1988. I called the police and provided serial numbers on all of them. To this day I have not heard anything.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's the Model 28 Highway Patrolman that was stolen from my Dad, returned about 9 months later and then handed down to me. Punk ass bitch nephew stole it from my parents house when he was about 18, my Mother confronted him as she assumed he took it. Of course the weasel denied it. and was later arrested and it was found in his car. My dad had the serial #, a police officer showed up at their house, and questioned my Dad after the arrest. He gave the serial # to the officer, who turned it over to my Dad. He gave it to me a couple of years later, and is no longer with us.

By the way punk ass bitch was sent the message that if he ever showed up at any of my family's house again he would be beaten to the point no one would recognize who he was. No one has seen him since, that was about 13 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So no original sales slip, no gun? That could be the shits.

ETA: If you know, what's the percentage of returned versus destroyed?

Not to mention they are violating a judges order, oh well.

I've only seen one stolen gun returned in my law enforcement career. It was stolen out of the town I worked in and was being used by some police officer in some shitbag city about twenty miles away. Funny thing is I took the report, and was working part time at a gun store when said cop brought it in to get a holster for it. Luckily the store wasn't in the city I worked for so I didn't have to do the recovery/arrest report.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Not good. If they catch them in short order and they didn't get sold or passed on, then maybe.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a Springfield V10 stolen in a burglary at my home. Couple years later the law lights up a car in the middle of the night. Moron sticks cocked and UNLOCKED .45 down the front of pants. UNCOCKS bad guy.

Got gun back in hazardous materials bag. Deputy at property room apologized and gave me a pair of rubber gloves.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been waiting 15 years for the return of a stainless Officer's Model Colt and a Walther .380.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#30]
My PT-92's still missing since it was stolen in 2005. Best of luck to you
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If one or more of your guns is stolen, what are the chances that you will ever see it again? Do they ever get returned to the rightful owner?

I've had exactly one gun stolen in my lifetime. It was a brand-new Sig P226 in .357-sig. It was stolen by an ex-girlfriend whom I let stay in my home for two months. She had a drug problem and I learned the hard way that the only help I could have really given her would have been to drive her to the hospital, or some other rehab facility, the first night.

Toward the end of her stay she stole the gun and took it to a drug dealer in DC and traded it for $100 worth of heroin. I had bailed her out of jail a couple weeks before this for missing a court date and I immediately revoked her bond. She showed up at my house the next day, unaware that I knew about the gun, and I called the bail bondsman who came and took her into custody...and that was that.

I got the gun back just under a year later. The police had raided the guy's place in DC and the thug was wearing it at the time. After an investigation, it was sent to my local police department where I was able to go pick it up. The gun had scuff marks on both sides where it had been held in an FBI vise and test fired for their database, while it was in law enforcement custody.

I blame myself for putting that gun in the hands of a criminal and think it's our duty as responsible gun owners to never allow that to happen.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thats retarted, glad its not like that here in texas
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#34]
USP compact .40
Glock 19
XD45
LCP
Winchester 94

Never seen em again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Beretta 92 stolen when my house was broken into in 2004. Got it back from PD in 2007.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Detectives called me out of the Blue 10 years after theft to return S&W Model 10––

ETA: I don't know how they ascertained it was mine??
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Detectives called me out of the Blue 10 years after theft to return S&W Model 10––

ETA: I don't know how they ascertained it was mine??

I wish they would hve found my Model 66 Stainless- 2.5 Barrel

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#38]
50/50 for me.

The 10/22 has not been found, but I did get the Vaquero back.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had 17 stolen from me in Fairfield, CA in 1995.  I've not ever received any of them back.

Fucking A.  

I used to live in Vacaville.  Seems Fairfield has been a shithole since before I was born.

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#40]
When I was an idiot college student, I had a 10/22, a Mossberg 500, a Marlin 336 stolen out of my vehicle parked at my Fraternity house.  4 years later, i get a call from the Boone County Sherrif's office saying they had my .22.  I was ecstatic, as my father bought the rifle for me for my 10th birthday, my first birthday in the States.  

So I'm batting .333 and I don't use vehicles for long-term firearms storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top