Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 10:39:12 AM EDT
Armalite says AR stands for Armalit and my buddy and i were arguing about what AR stands for ,someone like to clear this up,please
(PS,i always thought it stood for assualt rifle)  
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup. ARmalite.

Edited to add they make a semi auto.22 (AR7) a shotgun (AR17) neither could be called an Assault Rifle.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
ARmalite.  A company that doesn't exist anymore.  Not the ArmaLite of today (Eagle Arms).
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#3]
AR=Armalite!!

End of story no discussion....period!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The AR-15 is the ArmaLite model 15.  The AR-1, ArmaLite's first product, was a plastic-stocked bolt-action hunting rifle.

That ArmaLite was a division of the Fairchild airplane company.  It hasn't existed in decades.  The current Armalite is formerly Eagle Arms, and changed their name to Armalite after purchasing the rights to the name from Elisco Tool of the Phillipeans.

-Troy
View Quote

...and the intelectual property, i.e., R@D data and drawings.  In affect that ArmaLite is this ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
...and the intelectual property, i.e., R@D data and drawings. In affect that ArmaLite is this ArmaLite.
View Quote

Actually, Pete Fleis is closer to that than the current ArmaLite, as he recently purchased the remains of Timberline Hawk. Timberline Hawk, as you may know, was the remaining parts inventory and blueprints, etc. from Costa Mesa. It was run by a former ArmaLite employee before selling it to someone out of Iowa who in turn sold it to Pete.

Still, the companies are very different, and have a quarter century of time between them. Facts is facts.
View Quote

A little less time than that. The original ArmaLite went belly-up in 1983. Eagle Arms began marketing products under the ArmaLite trademark in 1995.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ARmalite.  A company that doesn't exist anymore.  Not the ArmaLite of today (Eagle Arms).
View Quote
Blah, blah, blah.  I am glad that you imparted this wisdom to us.  They do exist.  They bought the rights to the name and other pertinent data from the holder of said items.  Based on what you say, Colt is not Colt,  S&W is not S&W, etc.  Many gun makers have been bought and sold at one time or another.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...and the intelectual property, i.e., R@D data and drawings. In affect that ArmaLite is this ArmaLite.
View Quote

Actually, Pete Fleis is closer to that than the current ArmaLite, as he recently purchased the remains of Timberline Hawk. Timberline Hawk, as you may know, was the remaining parts inventory and blueprints, etc. from Costa Mesa. It was run by a former ArmaLite employee before selling it to someone out of Iowa who in turn sold it to Pete.
View Quote

I met Pete at the BRC.  He told me the same thing.  Nice guy.  He even let me shoot is RPD.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Armalite (A division of Fairchild Aircraft), now ain't they the ones who sold the AR15 rights to Clot......

Armalite today has about as much to do with Armalite of yesteryear as does the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) has to do with Armalite.

Big deal, they bought the name. The Tennasee Titans bought the Houston Oilers.
Now days anyone can make an AR15.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Blah, blah, blah.  I am glad that you imparted this wisdom to us.  They do exist.  They bought the rights to the name and other pertinent data from the holder of said items.  Based on what you say, Colt is not Colt,  S&W is not S&W, etc.  Many gun makers have been bought and sold at one time or another.
View Quote

That is the kind of nonsense that perpetuates the fraud and myth that the current ArmaLite has anything to do with the original other than sharing a common name. The ArmaLite that gave us the AR15 no longer exists and hasn't for decades. Eagle Arms simply purchased the ArmaLite name with which to remark their existing product for use in a cleverly deceptive marketing scheme. That they and some of their customers continue to mislead by deliberately blurring the line between themselves and the original doesn't speak well for their honesty and ethics.

This is not at all like the transfers of ownership of Colt, S&W, Winchester, and myriad other companies wherein not just the right to a simple name was sold and bought but proprietery data, trademark product names, product service/warranty, employees, tooling, manufacturing facilities, an unbroken line of production, and the company archives/historical data were included in and completed the sale package.

We can all agree that AR does indeed stand for ArmaLite. Not a rebadged Eagle Arms.

I'm sure we'll now be treated to your return to an erroneous, misguided rant about Colt as your signature line. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Then, didn't G. Stoner, the inventor of the AR10/15 line of rifles end up with Knight's Armaments before he died?  So who really has the "intellectual property" ?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Then, didn't G. Stoner, the inventor of the AR10/15 line of rifles end up with Knight's Armaments before he died?  So who really has the "intellectual property" ?
View Quote

ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Eagle Arms simply purchased the ArmaLite name with which to remark their existing product for use in a cleverly deceptive marketing scheme. That they and some of their customers continue to mislead by deliberately blurring the line between themselves and the original doesn't speak well for their honesty and ethics.
View Quote

Please tell us more.  Are you implying ArmaLite is commiting fraud?  Please explain how ArmaLite is not ArmaLite in more detail.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm sure we'll now be treated to your return to an erroneous, misguided rant about Colt as your signature line. [;)]
View Quote
Ask and ye shall receive.  Whether it's the original ArmaLite or not, a Colt is still a copy of an ArmaLite.  It is neither erroneous nor misguided to say so.  One doesn't have to be referring to the current ArmaLite, the fact is that the Colt is a copy of an ArmaLite.

Besides, I wouldn't brag too much about Colt.  The quality of the current ArmaLite or Eagle Arms, or whatever you wish to call them, is still top notch, better than at least one other brand I could name.  You seem to go out of your way with this point about them not being the same company, as if you have something against ArmaLite.

No one is misguided and any knowledgeable person knows the history.  If someone is not knowledgeable on the subject of ARs, they probably don't know who Colt or Bushmaster or ArmaLite or Eagle Arms, et al, are, so it doesn't matter.  I have rifles by the original ArmaLite and by the current ArmaLite.  The quality is comparable to the original.  If it doesn't bother me, why does it bother you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top