Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2002 8:48:52 PM EDT
I just got 2 new tires for my 4x4 SUV. Now my question is,would it be better to put the tires in the front for better traction using 4WD? Or should I put the tires in the rear for all around better traction? The other two tires I have on the vehicle arent really that worn but ofcourse they dont have as good of tread as the new ones.....
Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it full time 4x4? if not Id put them on the back, Are you going to buy 2 more to match eventually?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it full time 4x4? if not Id put them on the back, Are you going to buy 2 more to match eventually?
View Quote

It is part-time 4WD,and yes in a few more months I will get two more tires. I was able to get these two at a damn low price so I jumped on the chance.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah then I would put them on the back, because that is where you'll need most of your traction for daily city driving, + they will wear evenly, unlike front tires where your right tire will tend to wear more.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would put them on the front, especially if you aren't good about rotating them.  The front tires experience much faster wear, due to the extra weight in the front, and, especially, the cornering.  
View Quote

Thats why I would put them on the back, so you can wear out your old tires and not your new ones.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:05:47 AM EDT
[#6]
It depends on the type of 4wd.  Some of the newer vehicles with full time 4wd are either primarily front wheel drive, with the rear engaging when slippage is detected, or vice-versa.  Find out which type yours is, and put the new tires on the main drive wheels.  That's assuming you are replacing the other tires soon.  If not, I'd agree witht he advice of wear out your old tires first.  

From a safety standpoint, if your car is part time 4wd, so you can switch it out and be 2wd, put the new tires on the rear.  Most trouble in rear wheel drive cars comes from the rear losing traction and spinning out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
So is the Subaru Outback primarily front wheel or rear wheel full time 4-wheel drive?
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe it is front wheel, but not 100% certain.  Check their website, they may have a section describing their system (which is excellent and reliable, by the way).  
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with the Beekeeper.  The front wheels do 100% of the steering and 70% of the braking, and if front wheel drive (like an Outback) about 90% of the driving in ordinary pavement conditions.  If it is a part-time system driving the rear axles in normal conditions, I believe that I would still put the new ones on front for best steering and handling, and to minimize hydroplaning in heavy rain or treadworn pavement.

DO consider rotating front to back and back to front, staying on a side, every 5000 to 7000 miles to even out the wear induced by the front axle and steering.  I would recommend not switching sides with radial tires, they become accustomed to rotating generally in one direction, and changing rotation may result in belts loosening.  This was a big issue back in the late 60s and during the 70s and 80s.  My tire dealer says "no problem" to swap side-to-side, but I remind him that he sells tires.

The Outback AWD drive system provides about 90% to the front in normal conditions.  If wheel slip is sensed, additional torque is shifted to the back axles by the transfer case.  My 77 yr old mother's 2000 OB is a wonderful snow car.

Noah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top