Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 8:30:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Even if you do that, NY will require you to change the cars regie back to NY after 60 days. Now you can probably get away with not doing it, but.. you could also get jammed up a bit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have been going to college in Va for the last 2 years, I was wondering for Auto insurance, car registration if they would allow me to obtain a liscence from VA.  Im down there 8 months of the year, so i figure I have that going for me.  Will they allow me to do this?
View Quote

Not if you dont have a VA drivers licence.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Look into that.  You may be requred to get a VA license.  I don't know their laws, but most states allow a max of 60 days, and some a lot less, before requiring a change.  

A lot depends on where you pay taxes and are registered to vote.  The voter registration is an act of residency.  If you pay NY tax, VA can't really touch you if you work part time there.  However, that in itself may be another angle favorable to you.  If their taxes and other circumstances are better in VA - you'd have to research this, I don't know - establish residence there.  Only some prick cop or idiot judge would have you switch license/registration/insurance back and forth because you alternate 60 day+ stays.  Generally nothing happens, and a reasonable explanation of alternating work locations (stressing the word "temporary") is fine.  BTW, most NY cops are quite reasonable if you are reasonable yourself (probably the best in the region).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top