Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2002 8:07:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
They probibly wont offer the 0% financing on 2003 models, I could be wrong but I think it is just the 2002.

Since when did pontiacs cost $28000?

They pobibly wont budge much on the MSRP because of the 0% financing, You might as well put a small amount down since its 0% and all.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing in life or car shopping is free.  The Zero Down Pament and 0% financing stuff is just money they would normally discounted off the sticker. Goto the local dealers and find the one that is not interested in haggling. They have a price on the window and that is the price. If they start playing this make me an offer and I will take it back to my sales manager they are lying to you. The only one you can trust is the one which does not play the games. They will have one price the only price take it or leave it.

I know GM is dropping the Oldsmobile line and I think the Pontiac line also.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to www.edmunds.com, work up the car you want, with all the options. Then take that with you into the dealer, it'll have his price and retail. Usually, you can get a car a few hundred over the dealers cost, I have on many occasions. Matter of fact, on over stocks, I've paid under his cost.. :)

Oh, edmunds will also give you true market value (TMV) something like that. It's what that car actually sells for..
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
28K ? You can get a 3 Series BMW for that kind of money.Might want to check that out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
28K ? You can get a 3 Series BMW for that kind of money.Might want to check that out.
View Quote
Damn right, 28K for a Pontiac?, no way! Hell look at a used Lexus, you will be way better off.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
You can still haggle with them and get the 0% financing, it is just rebates they won't offer in combination.  The standard offer is about 3% over invoice, that you can find off [url]www.edmunds.com[/url] .  It can go up or down from there depending on demand.  That should be reasonable though for a pontiac.  Go near the end of the month when they are trying to make thie quotas.  You probably don't need to wait, just go in and make an offer.  It sounds like you don't NEED a new car right now so put that indifference to your advantage.

I purchased a new car a couple months ago and found out the right dealer off an enthusiast website, offered $300 over invoice and got it without hassle.  Interest rates on my model werent the best because it is a popular one, but they were offering the .9% on some of the other models and could have got that and the 300 over together.

Enjoy your new car. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Pontiac is certainly NOT being cancelled as a brand, just Oldsmobile. You must be thinking of Plymouth, which IS being cancelled by Daimler-Chrysler.

Many people in the above posts are correct. The deals will only be on the 2002 models, and late September is indeed a great time to buy, with the penalty being limited choices.

Also, keep in mind that only the domestics, actually GM and Ford and the German company called Chrysler, are the ones doing poorly. The Big 3 "Japanese" of Toyota, Nissan, and Honda are all doing quite well, thank you, and are dramatically increasing their production in the good 'ol U.S. of A.

Why not be more patriotic? Instead of buying a Chevy built in Mexico or a Ford built in Canada, consider a Nissan built in Tennessee or a Honda built in Ohio. The U.S. citizens who build these cars and work for these "Japanese" companies benefit from your dollars just as much as the Germans do at Chrysler. In fact, Nissan (my company) is building a 1 billion dollar truck plant in Mississippi.

I just want you to consider moving beyond the traditional thinking of what an American car really is. You can get a lot more for your money than a $28K Pontiac that will depreciate like WILDFIRE.

p.s. - The new 3.5L V6 Altima (built in Tennessee) will blow the doors off a Pontiac grand prix GTP coupe. 0-60 in 5.9 seconds -- as fast as a Porsche Boxer at half the price, and a bit less than the Pontiac.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
First off, have you ever bought a new vehicle?
You need to go PRACTICE on a couple of different dickhead salesmen at different dealerships.

Do your homework. You can go to the news stand in a supermarket or on line [url]NADA.com[/url], [url]KBB.com[/url] and find dealer cost and retail.

If a dealership has a "dealer adjusted pig-sticking ripp-off" second sticker on the car offer walk away. You might even want to piss on the floor of the bathroom before you leave. I HATE second stickers.

Get your financing in order before you go, even if the dealerhips is offering to throw in zero percent financing and a blowjob.
That way you can negotiate a deal just like a CASH TRANSACTION.

Be a dickhead! Tell them you will not pay shipping or dealer holdback. Screw dealer holdback, if you pay to watch TV (cable, dish) then screw them, you are being charged twice for advertising, if you pay a $1.50 for the Sunday paper then why should you help them pay for group advertising.

Don't play dealer against dealer. You don't think they don't call each other up if they think they have a live one?

Look for car buying on line. I kid you not, I had a friend in Oklahoma who lives in Moore who went on line and bought a new 2001 fully loaded Chevy 4X4 Oklahoma/Texas package truck for $3500 under dealer cost.
Or you could try a buying service, one through your bank or credit union.

Take a friend with you to be the devils advocate or bring your wife/girlfriend and (if you have them) kids. Let the kids be little hell spawn and have the wife/girlfriend be a total bitch.

If the salesman you talk to has to keep going back to his manager then demand to deal with the manager. Use phrases like "I want to talk to the man of the house" or "Do you have a set, can you do anything without going to the manager?" or "I am out of here unless you let me talk to your father".

Bring a caculator, pencil and even a quick amoritaztion (yea, speling error) table.

Have your insurance costs lined up.

When they ask if you want extras (undercoating, scotchguard) tell them yea, since THEY (the salesman is going to pay for it out of his commission) are going to pay for it.

Don't use a trade in or a pay-off to negotiate your deal. Do the deal just like cash, then go "Oh by the way....".

If you are not happy then walk out the door.

Don't deal with women unless you are a member of the He-Man Woman Haters Club.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#11]
As I understand it, there are some important limits to the 0% financing (like maybe having perfect credit and paying off the loan in 3 years).  That’s worth finding out about beforehand.

Try to know as much as you can before you walk into the door.  Walking into a dealership is the equivalent to jumping into a shark-infested swimming pool.  These guys do this for a living and they know all the tricks.  Most importantly, I think, is not letting them rush you into making a purchase.

Expect the good guy/bad guy routine.  The salesman is the good guy trying to get a good deal for you; the sales manager is the bad guy that the salesman has to fight to get that good deal for you.  Pure nonsense meant to string you along.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nothing in life or car shopping is free.  The Zero Down Pament and 0% financing stuff is just money they would normally discounted off the sticker. Goto the local dealers and find the one that is not interested in haggling. They have a price on the window and that is the price. If they start playing this make me an offer and I will take it back to my sales manager they are lying to you. The only one you can trust is the one which does not play the games. They will have one price the only price take it or leave it.

I know GM is dropping the Oldsmobile line and I think the Pontiac line also.
View Quote

pontiac is not being cut. fact is the are bringing in a new car as a rebirth of a old one.. the GTO 350HP . Judge package is a rumor but it should have around 405HP.

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Now, if you want to find the true dealer cost, which is a VERY well kept secret. Forget "Edmunds"...the ONLY place I know of offering this is "fightingchance.com". I've checked thier numbers against my numbers for our Chryslers (I work @ Chrysler Fianancial) and they are correct.

Get the dealer invoice numbers, and negotiate up from dealer invoice not down from sticker. Most of all, be prepared to walk out. I do it just for kicks all the time. My favorite part is when the "sales manager" comes in to work me over. I start off by letting him know what HE paid for it, what his hold-back is and what I'm willing to give him. Which is usually about $300 over TRUE invoice. Then I give him a 30-second count-down to make me an offer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...  I might have to chck out that Nissan though, as it also fits the bill as for what im looking for....
View Quote

I’ve got a friend who’s looking for a Malibu and I’ve been trying to steer her toward the Altima.  About the only meaningful complaints I’ve read about it is that it has a somewhat large steering radius and the 6-cylinder needs premium gas.

I’ve got to admit the GM cars are styled a bit better, but that’s so they’ll look good while they’re broken down on the side of the road! [:(]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:35:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Mayday, any idea when the new solid axle 3/4 ton Dodges will hit the dealer lots?
BrenLover
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#18]
By all means know the dealers cost or as close as you can get anyway.  They have all kinds of givebacks that are hard to find out about.

Arrange financing first.  The 0% thing is a buy down.  Factory or Dealer is buying down the interest.  So?  Get the thing at right price and pay fair interest at your bank and it will be cheaper.

Don't fall for the "buy American made foreign car" crap!  They are still inferior foreign designed cars.  All the profit goes back to Japan.  They pay their American workers pretty damn poorly compared to what other auto industry workers make.  Screw 'em!

As for buying at end of model year or after model year has passed.  Some pros and cons to that one.  Yes, car is cheaper.  You are taking that first year's depreciation right up front!  If you are going to keep it forever and completely use it up - fine.  If there is any chance you will trade or sell it in the next four years, rethink your plan as you will quite possibly take a bath.

Don't even THINK about a lease!  May work, sometimes, from atax standpoint but for individuals that do not use their car in business it is a ripoff.

Opinions are like assholes - everybody has one!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife and I just bought a new car.  We looked at EVERYTHING...and I mean everything.  The car we ended up with...and love....is a black 2 door coupe Chrysler Sebring LXi with gray leather and a 5 speed tranny and 200 hp V6.  It's got a Mitsubishi engine and transmission and is fast.  It's a blast to drive and handles very well...without knocking your teeth loose.  It also has a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty and after that the 7 year 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty kicks in.  Before you buy....just test drive one of these babies and I'll bet your forget about that Pontiac in a hurry.  We got the car for $22k loaded with everything including 17" polished chrome wheels.  I love this car!!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Whatever you don't get talked into a lease!!  When you look closely at them the finance rate is usually about 16%.  And they are not required to tell you the effective rate!!  Bubba the loan shark would cut you a better deal!

I personally would wait until you can AFFORD the car.  Not the payments, but the car.  I mean you walk in, give them cash, and drive off with a car that is yours, not one you are buying from the bank!  But then, I'm wierd because I don't borrow money - it's stupid.  Read "The Millionaire Next Door" - most wealthy people (not the poseurs with their new Lexus or Mercedes) buy 2 - 3 year old used American vehicles.  They know that the value of a car drops about 15% a year and it's not smart to buy a new one.  Let some other sucker take the hit.  Of course it's totally moronic to borrow money that will lose 15% a year!!  If you lose your job in a year, you will owe more than the car is worth and will be in a world of hurt!  

Save up the cash & find a nice lease turn-in.  Save the extra money & retire with dignity!

Bill
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:03:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy a truck bud.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Good old Pontiac. The name GTO was stolen from Ferrari and they tried to steal Trans-AM from the Sports Car Club of America . The SCCA didn't let them get away with that. You see , unlike Ferrari , the SCCA had COPYRIGHTED that name. And sued GM for 5 million and won. And for every Trans-Am sold GM pays $5 per car for use of that name .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top