Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 7:27:46 PM EDT
I heard that gas stations only make about a dime a gallon. Anyone know if this is true ? I always wondered if I could by gas in bulk and save if I had the land to put a tank. How long will gas last before it goes bad ?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
A DIME!?  Try a penny or less.  Some small independents make more but, the average is around 1 cent.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, a $1.25 gallon of gas only costs around $.40-$.50...

The rest is all TAXES...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard 5 cents is about average for the stations.  The suppliers make most of the money.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I know total taxes (state and federal)on a gallon of gas in PA is 45 cents.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on the size of the company buying the gas.  If it's a small station, like a couple I help with their books and the four that family members own, they pay about a nickle more per gallon for gas than they sell it for.  It's more expensive than, for example, Exxon, sells it to consumers for, because they pay more per gallon because of the smaller quantities and pay delivery fees.  Why do they do it?  If they didn't have gas, people probably wouldn't stop by to buy cigarettes, drinks, ice cream, candy, etc..  It's really a tough business if you're not associated with an oil company.

Philadelphia_GunMan, from what I've seen, buying the quantities of gas you're talking about, it would cost you [i]more[/i] than simply going to a gas station.  Also, gas doesn't store long-term that well.  If you're serious, buying a diesel truck/car and diesel generator would be a much better investment.z
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I forgot to add this... A lot of farmers around here get diesel delivered that they don't pay "road" taxes on.  I don't know exactly how much cheaper it is, but I think it's about half price.  You can't legally use it on the road, but if the SHTF, it wouldn't matter.  Of course it would be legal any time to use for heating or in a generator.z
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I store about 30 gallons of Reg. Unleaded and I use "STA-BIL" Gas treatment/stabilizer mixed with it for long term storage. I refresh my stock every 6 months. I figure next to food gas will worth 5x its weight in  gold when the SHTF.

BTW: Phil-gunman I tried IM'ing you back but it says your IM box is full-ttyl
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I talked to the owner of the local chevron while back, he says he makes hardly anything off the gas.
He says it's a joke.

It's all a ploy he says, to get you into buy the candy and pop, that's how they make their dough.

They seem to make descent money off Smokes despite all the tax on those though he claims.

Whens it going to end, you know at the rate....

a movie will be like $20
A 12 pop at the movie will be like $8

Gas will be like 3 dollars a gallon in the next 5 years.

An average college education will costs you like 60-75 grand. [>:/]

What the hell is going on? [BD]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I forgot to add this... A lot of farmers around here get diesel delivered that they don't pay "road" taxes on.  I don't know exactly how much cheaper it is, but I think it's about half price.  You can't legally use it on the road, but if the SHTF, it wouldn't matter.  Of course it would be legal any time to use for heating or in a generator.z
View Quote

Right now I pay about $.91 for a gallon of No. 2 Off-road "dyed" diesel.  Haven't had bulk gasoline delivered in a while, but it wasn't much cheaper
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I figure next to food gas will worth 5x its weight in  gold when the SHTF.
View Quote

Have you been staying up late watching Mad Max? he he But you have a point. Although, in SHTF I'm sure gas will be available for a while.

On topic, when I worked at the gas station in college (small volume Chevron dealer), he was making 3 cents a gallon. That was mid-1980's.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]
What's more important is how much they're making on soft drinks and candy. Without snack sales and mini markets the gas retailers would be sunk.

If you want to save money buying gas, stay out of the store.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I talked to the owner of the local chevron while back, he says he makes hardly anything off the gas.
He says it's a joke.

It's all a ploy he says, to get you into buy the candy and pop, that's how they make their dough.

They seem to make descent money off Smokes despite all the tax on those though he claims.

Whens it going to end, you know at the rate....

a movie will be like $20
A 12 pop at the movie will be like $8

Gas will be like 3 dollars a gallon in the next 5 years.

An average college education will costs you like 60-75 grand. [>:/]

What the hell is going on? [BD]
View Quote
It's called G R E E D!!!![rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I heard that gas stations only make about a dime a gallon. Anyone know if this is true ? I always wondered if I could by gas in bulk and save if I had the land to put a tank. How long will gas last before it goes bad ?
View Quote
When gasoline was about 1.00 a gallon, I know the Sheriff's Office was paying .60 cents for it, this was not a price break on gas, just minus the 40-43 cents State tax. So when I bought gas at the local place I fiquire he was making 1-3 cents, cause gas was 1.03 per gal give or take a pennie here and there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you been staying up late watching Mad Max? he he But you have a point. Although, in SHTF I'm sure gas will be available for a while.

On topic, when I worked at the gas station in college (small volume Chevron dealer), he was making 3 cents a gallon. That was mid-1980's.
View Quote

I used to work for Ultramar Oil a few years back(they have since been bought out by Diamond Shamrock San Antonio, TX, and Superior Oil of Oklahoma City, OK), but their Wilmington, CA refinery have only a 2 day supply of gasoline stored at the refinery for the whole So. Calif. area. I'm sure that the other refineries have approximately the same. They manufacturers try to keep a small supply on-hand in order to minimize their investment in inventory. So if there is an interruption, that gasoline could go pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I used to work for Ultramar Oil a few years back(they have since been bought out by Diamond Shamrock San Antonio, TX, and Superior Oil of Oklahoma City, OK), but their Wilmington, CA refinery have only a 2 day supply of gasoline stored at the refinery for the whole So. Calif. area. I'm sure that the other refineries have approximately the same. They manufacturers try to keep a small supply on-hand in order to minimize their investment in inventory. So if there is an interruption, that gasoline could go pretty quickly.
View Quote

Who said anything about buying it? In SHTF, all bets are off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 5:24:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top