BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 4:46:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the store and buy an 800 dollar Canon G2. You WONT be disapointed!!!

Stores on the net list it for 600 - 800 range, but you'll soon find out that they dont have it in stock, and it is on back order, and will ship in 2 weeks.. 2 weeks comes along, and yeah, it's still on back order for 3 more weeks, blah blah.. "but hey, we do have the same camera for 950 with all these extra POS goodies you'll never need or use in stock!"

WTF is a grey market camera?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OK, so I'm looking at buying a Nikon Coolpix 5000.  I've bought many cameras in the past, all 35mm SLR's, and all from either B&H or Cameraworld.

I know about the reputation of all the companies in the back of photo magazines, and I've experienced it personally.  I also know about the "gray market" problems that you can run into from these guys.

BUT...I've never bought a digital camera.  Is there such thing as a "grey market" digital camera?

Both B&H and Cameraworld want about $1k for this camera, but it's selling for about $800 on Ebay...new! (supposedly)  Most of the sellers have good ratings.  So, does anybody think buying such an item off of Ebay is a good idea?  Any experiences?  Should I be concerned about warranty problems like I would be with 35mm cameras?

Thanks!
View Quote

Be warned about "grey market" Nikon. They take a hard line about this and will NOT support "grey" products if repairs become necessary later, in or out of warranty.

Another place to look for used stuff is

[url]www.keh.com[/url]

Check them out
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I've also ordered a 35mm SLR (Nikon N80) from B&H and they are an excellent company. They also sell alot of grey market merhandise but they label what's American and what's grey on the website. I was just on the B&H website and non of the Nikon digital cameras were labeled "grey" or "USA" like the 35mm SLRs are so I'm assuming that they're all American. If any company would sell grey market digital cameras it would be B&H since they sell alot of grey 35mm stuff.

If the seller has good feedback and lives in America the camera should probably be OK. Try e-mailing him to ask. If he has a high feedback rating he probably would not want to blow it by selling a crappy product.

ComputerGuy-A "grey market" camera is one that was made to be sold in a foreign country. It may have compatibillity or warranty issues with other accesories.

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem with electronics on eBay is that usually the items being sold are priced above what you can buy them for elsewhere.  Some of the "laptop for sale" ads don't actually have the laptops -- they just list the item, set a reserve price that is higher than what it'd cost them to get it, and then wait for suckers to bid the price up even higher than the reserve.  Once they sell it, they order the laptop and have it shipped to the buyer.

My advice is to go to [url]http://www.pricewatch.com[/url], click on the "electronics" link in the upper right corner, and look at the mail-order prices for Nikon cameras.  Find a mail-order place which is (a) NOT IN NY or NJ, (b) has a good feedback rating on [url]http://www.resellerratings.com/[/url], and (c) tells you they have cameras in stock, ready to ship, with all components still in the box.

I had a good experience with [url]http://www.iportables.com[/url], but I don't know what their prices are like now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The local camera store (where I got mine) has one in their case that was used for ONE day.

It was bought (on my recommendation [:D] ) by a friend of mine who is a big SLR fan.  He brought it back the same day and put it on consignment.

He didn't like the output of color inkjet paper vs. photog paper.  ???  HUH??  Idiot !

I think they're asking $820 or something like that.  

I'll shoot you over the info if you're interested.    They also have new ones in stock too for around $1050.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Email sent.

Do I get a case of Lake City as a finders fee? [;)]

Seriously though... you can't go wrong with the CoolPix 5000 WHEREVER you get it from !

The cameras at this store are all USA warrantied, but I wouldn't be opposed to buying "grey market" as long as it is new and from a good dealer.

My logic --->   As all electronics/computer equipment goes nowadays, the camera will be obsolete soon enough! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top