Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
its a ford.
View Quote

Yep [BD]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
What you didn't think this would quickly turn into a Ford Vs. _____ thread?

I say it could also be a bearing in the wheel ass.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Check and make sure it's not the turn signals... some people actually use them to signal a turn or lane change, or so I've heard!

[;D]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
he-he. i knew that would get your goat.

and it hasnt degraded into a ford vs.____ thread.

i didnt compare the vehicle to another brand. its just what it is. a ford.

[;)]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Aimless, in my experience brake pads squeal when they need to be changed.

redray & CAPITALIST ---> [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/flip.gif[/img]

MurderSHO45, did you just call me an ass? [BD]

j/k - Do wheel bearings make noise just at high speeds and not low speeds? I didn't think so but I'm not sure. [>:/]
View Quote

Well Ass. [:P]  
Yes usually, but as your car speeds up, it reaches a point where it's "riding on air", I'm thinking it's possible it might mess with the dynamics of the bearings, thus showing your problem.

This kind behavior is true with balance of wheels and alignment and other suspension components.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Also check U joints they will do this sometimes, Nothing has fallen off my F-150 !  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also check U joints they will do this sometimes, Nothing has fallen off my F-150 !  [:D]
View Quote

YET [:D]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Big Bear,
Do you have wheel covers or the mag wheels? On our police units the wheel covers make a clicking noise. If you have the covers take them off and see if it helps.

Karl
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Big_Bear, I don't have a clue, but, while the experts are figuring out your problem let me tell you my F-250 LD story.  About 15,000 miles, tranny starts acting up, shifts up and down unexpectedly, won't shift, etc.  In to the dealer at 7:00am, about 9:30am he calls, "trucks ready", "how can that be?" I say.  Loose heater hose dripping water on the electronic thingy says he.  The lesson, things are oftentimes not what they seem....
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:31:37 AM EDT
[#14]
If it's 4wd, also check the CV joints on the front wheels.  When they are getting worn, they will also click when turning the wheel sharply when parking.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:42:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it's 4wd, also check the CV joints on the front wheels.  When they are getting worn, they will also click when turning the wheel sharply when parking.
View Quote

Even if it's not 4WD you still have the CV boots around the bearings in front. If the boot has been torn or pulled away all of the grease can be thrown out and it will start clicking.

I'd get it checked out before you really do some damage (comming from a guy who broke the crank in his Mustang [:)]).
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Just a guess, but if it only happens on a certain type of road maybe it's the road? Expansion joints at 55+ mph might sound like a clicking noise especially when there is a divider barricade to bounce the sound off of. Good luck.

My F150 had loose screws on the hubcaps that bugged me for weeks. Took them off and the noise went with them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I first noticed it Saturday driving on the freeway. I thought it sounded like a rock stuck in a tire tread, but when I got off the freeway the noise went away so I thought the rock must have kicked loose and I didn't worry about it.

Didn't get back onto the freeway until this afternoon, when I heard it again. I only hear it over 55-60 MPH, but not below that.

I can't tell if it's coming from the front or the back since the sound is mostly echoing off the freeway barrier, but it does sound like it's coming from the driver's side. I looked for obvious stuff like rocks in the tread or ty-wraps around the driveshaft, but nothing. I searched some of the Ford truck forums too but didn't find anything. The truck had a oil change and lube about 2K miles ago.

Any ideas?
View Quote

Actually that noise is very easy to fix. BUY A CHEVROLET!!!   [peep]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top