Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2002 1:05:00 PM EDT
The new prices went into effect this morning.

First off, I am NOT a smoker! However I can't stand watching this take place.
The lawyers have found a pool of money and will not stop until it is dry. Then what? Do you think when they are done destroying the tobacco industry they'll learn to live without the money they sucked from it?
NOOOO.... Who's next? Probably liquor...beer. My point is eventually it will be something you enjoy!

A better question would be "Where in hell is all this money going"? Ahhh..forget it!
I don't want to know![pissed][smoke]

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It's just a test bed for policies they will eventually turn on other politically unpopular hobbies,  it's a toss up whether it's gonna be booze or firearms as far as I'm concerned.    Though my bet is they can't wait to sink their hands into the pockets of either group.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Either?  How about both.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
No, many will just buy on the internet.

My buddy in Maryland is smoking Russian made Marlboro's.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely! They are going to go after anything that isn't "popular" with the majority of the people. Tobacco is the easiest one since its not fashionable to smoke anymore. Of course next it will probably be firearms and then alcohol....There are way too many drinkers out there as opposed to smokers.

Just remember what ATF stands for....they'll come after them one at a time.......

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
They have probably dried up the pool of money.

Can you say smuggling?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
They're feeding their cocaine and whore habits of course! (That's where the money is going.)

Don't forget about Big Sugar!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#7]
How can you say things like this about the governments' protection of the children, It is a privelege to smoke, not a right....now does anyone have anything else? and the next time someone tells me that driving is a privelege and not a right, I am going to tell him to light up....if he can afford it...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If you really wanted to drive people to revolt, this sounds like a great way to start.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm still waiting for them to tax sex.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
yee haa

I don't care what somebody else does to their body if it doesn't cost me or invade my space.

Smoking is a addiction that the few force on the rest of us. Look around you cig. butts everywhere. You cant walk though the doorway to my building without running though a gauntlet of smokers at certain times.  

Smoking costs all tax payers.

MEDICARE cost you and me millions. Alot of Lung and heart ailment seem to be linked to cigarettes.

which do you think would be higher, the percent of high school dropouts who smoke or the percentage of people who finished college who smoke.

Dropouts would be my guess,just a guess.

Lest see who is paying for the dropouts health care about the time they cant work or have their first heart attack.
They go broke and the Medicare system kicks in.

That me and you.

The only way to break the cycle is to stop kids from smoking. I don't know anybody who started to smoke over 18 years of age, unless they were in the military.

If you smoke I say to you ROCK ON.

Your right to smoke stops when you invade my space or cost me money.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
What would they call it? The Clinton Tax?

Quoted:
I'm still waiting for them to tax sex.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I would like to be the first to publicly thank all of the smokers in Michigan for helping me go to college!  Thanks guys and smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I may be wrong about this, but I think smoking actually saves the rest of us money.  IIRC, smokers actually cost less in overall healthcare than non-smokers 'cuz of reduced lifespan.  

Fire 'em up, guys!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They have probably dried up the pool of money.

Can you say smuggling?
View Quote
Yup.  Experience proves that when cigarette taxes go significantly higher in one state than in adjoining states, cigarette smuggling commences.

Gotta keep the police and the courts busy prosecutin' them criminals!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Smoking costs all tax payers.

MEDICARE cost you and me millions. Alot of Lung and heart ailment seem to be linked to cigarettes.
View Quote

WRONG.

Smoking saves taxpayers money.  

#1 - it generates income.

#2 - it kills it's users before they become expensive burdens on the System

It's been proven in studies that smoking saves tax dollars.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#16]
About $23 per ctn here. With shipping should be about $26 to PA. How many cartons of LEGP smokes should we buy for our smoking brothers up there? Or maybe we should just undercut them by say $4 & make a bundle?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I may be wrong about this, but I think smoking actually saves the rest of us money.  IIRC, smokers actually cost less in overall healthcare than non-smokers 'cuz of reduced lifespan.  
View Quote

That is my understanding as well. However, it doesn't get the state's snout out of the honey pot. Any kind of "voluntary" taxation...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Someone needs to keep track and see how many additonal convininece store clerks get killed in the coming months...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah...I'm gonna miss a few towel heads??[BD]
Okay...lock the thread!

Quoted:
Someone needs to keep track and see how many additonal convininece store clerks get killed in the coming months...
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Glad I quit smoking 7 years ago. [:D]
View Quote

And that's an interesting point.  Imagine all the guns, ammo, and related stuff you can buy when you're not spending $4/pack to end your life sooner.  Think of it as they just doubled the amount you'd be saving! [;D]

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top