Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/14/2002 9:04:02 PM EDT
OK.. I live outside of City Limits up on a hill, behind a winery, in a very upper class neighborhood with NO (read, none) crime at all.

It isn't the easiest thing to go to get to our neighborhood from the middle of town, as you have to take a few twists and turns.

Well, usally, 2 or 3 times per day, I see a police officer (can't tell if it's the same one or not...) drive around in one of the subdivision loops.

Now, about once every day, or every other day, a city cop (out of his jurisdiction) will park in front of the outhouse which is on a lot, under construction.

I can see the car from my window. The officer doesn't appear to be doing much of anything, so I'm kind of curious why it is happening so frequently. They will literally be there for an hour, or more.

Anyone have any idea what they are doing? Taking a nap? Eating dinner? Admiring the view?

Think next time I see him park there ask what they are doing, and why they constantly do it?

Good to know my tax dollars aren't going to waiste!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Run up to his window with your AR and ask him what he's doing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hiding out of the way to do paperwork probably, doesn't sound like a nap spot
View Quote

Instead of doing paperwork, shouldn't they be out catching all the violet criminals and ticketing old ladies for going 27 in a 25? Although, it does kind of sound logical...
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL.. hey, it is the county, and open carry is legal!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Posted by ComputerGuy...
Why does the a cop always park by my house?
View Quote

I don't know... is your wife in the habit of frying up doughnuts with all the windows open???

Obvious, but I couldn't resist!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
maybe he is building the house and is your new neighbor! Did they annex that subdivision? Maybe city contracts for that subdivision.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
the "a" cop parks there to catch "violet" criminals in action.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Paperwork sounds plausible.  When I worked at a movie theater it wouldn't be surprising to see 2 or 3 cars at once just sitting around behind it, writing stuff...they'd talk to each other too though.

Could he also be sitting there as a sort of speed trap?  Probably read the description wrong but that wouldn't be too surprising to me if its as curvy as you say...
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
violet criminals
View Quote

what about the green ones?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Just walk up and ask him. It may be a good idea to go unarmed, and if you have a dog take it out for a walk so that you will have an excuse as to why your bothering him.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 1:54:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Unless you look like Pamela Anderson, Dont bother him. Theres nothing a cop hates more than to have someone talk to him while hes doing paperwork,taking a break, or trying to eat. If you come across a cop be polite, say hello, and go about your business. Theres nothing worse than when you have 10 minutes to eat and someone is giving you a hypothetical on a speeding ticket that they fought 5 years ago.

When you are a cop you attract attention wherever you go. You cant buy a soda without 20 people staring at you and always having in the back of your mind that one of these people may try to take your life. I know it comes along with a job but give a cop a break and give him his space.  

Please - Never approach a Cop and say the following

"I didnt do it" or "It wasnt me" - If I hear that phrase that one more time Im gonna eat my Glock.

For the most part Cops can be friendly people. Until you go on a few ride-alongs its hard to understand all the paperwork and administrative bullshit that goes on.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:27:33 AM EDT
[#14]
He heard something about a ComputerGuy with a digital camera and donkey.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Was just wondering do you live in the portland metro area? Say outside Forest Grove,Newberg,Sherwood,Gaston,Yamhill,Carlton?

The reason why I ask  is that there are quite a few winerys in these areas and if a police officer is around those areas they sure are going way out of there way to not be bothered!

The police officer is probably just doing paperwork. It probably would not hurt to go strike up a conversation with the officer and see what is going on. Since there is new construction going on he could just be out there keeping an eye on things to.

I used to install heating and airconditioning systems in new construction homes and people would be surprised on how many things get stolen, and vandalized on new construction job sites,especially in the summertime when kids have nothing else better to do then go through a sub-division being built and tip over all the out-houses[:(!]

Nothing like needing to take a dump and needing to drive all over a sub-division to find a place to take a crap!

Just the company I worked for we had a couple of furnaces stolen,duct work stolen, air conditioning units stolen, and it seemed to happen most in the upper scale homes we were working on.Made things interesting when you go back to the job site the day after you set a furnace to install the gas pipe and there is no furnace there.

Times are tough these days and people will try to make a buck which ever way they can!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:48:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If there's a building under construction, he might be there working off duty security for the contractor. A lot of contractors employ off duty cops as sometimes their employees or other people will make off with the building materials.
View Quote

In an official squad car?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:07:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Refer to the topic in this section about the new civilian informants, titled "Heil Hitler, etc.  "  Someone had a grudge (remember that time you did not buy the Girl Scout Cookies?).
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:18:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd have to go with the paperwork guess, as well.  It is kind of starnge to leave your jurisdiction, though, there are usually lot of places inside it.  Any chance a city council person, mayor, something like that lives near you?  They might have been "suggested" to patrol up there, just for that.  No reason you can't approach (slowly, from the front) and talk to the officer.  I would say there's no problems talking to him for a little bit, saying you've noticied a patrol car in that spot, and ask why.  But like Ohaiclan said, don't start with anything dumb!

dp[0J]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Report writing. Someplace safe, so he wont get shot while his attention is on writing. Someplace private so he wont get interupted by tourist asking for directions.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Report writing, studying for a promotional exam, Eating lunch, some place out of the way where he won't (hopefully) be bothered. Maybe he is building a home in the development and is checking progress/admiring the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's best to do this trick with a buddy, make sure he yells "Don't move" while you yell "Get out of the car".  
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Now now Snorman, He's a cop, not FBI. . . .

I'd just walk out there, and say "Hey, I noticed  you guys hanging out here a lot resently. . . anything going on? -He'll prob. just say, "nope, doing this/that" and you say, well, good to see you around, have a nice day" and leave him be.

-Either that, or he'll be an azz-hole, and you get the badge number and write the city to ask them what's going on. As long as you're nice,and the cop's nice, I woudn't care if he's taking a break or doing paperwork. . . .

Now, if he was FBI. . . definatly go armed, yell conflicting orders, and if they aren't giving you a good show, start shooting. They dig that sort of thing. Make's the job more interesting.

In case of BATF, bring flamethrower. -It gives 'em a hard on.

*Disclaimer* Don't do this^^^^. :rolleyes:

-Justin
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"I didnt do it" or "It wasnt me" - If I hear that phrase that one more time Im gonna eat my Glock.
View Quote

My favorite response-Look 'em straight in the eye, give 'em a sly grin and say, "That's not what I heard". It's funny to see how many of them laugh nervously and get that "Oh $hit!" look in their eye before they shuffle away, wondering if you really DO know...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Unless you look like Pamela Anderson, Dont bother him. Theres nothing a cop hates more than to have someone talk to him while hes doing paperwork,taking a break, or trying to eat. If you come across a cop be polite, say hello, and go about your business.
View Quote

Fuck that. I'd go ask him what he was doing since he is out of his jurisdiction. Cops sure as hell don't mind bothering you. Even if he was in his jurisdiction I'd ask him what he is doing there all the time, but if he is out of his jurisdiction I'd give him a little attitude.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Now, about once every day, or every other day, a city cop (out of his jurisdiction) will park in front of the [red]outhouse[/red] which is on a lot, under construction
View Quote

2 words:
chronic diarrea
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Now now Snorman, He's a cop, not FBI. . . .

I'd just walk out there, and say "Hey, I noticed  you guys hanging out here a lot resently. . . anything going on? -He'll prob. just say, "nope, doing this/that" and you say, well, good to see you around, have a nice day" and leave him be.

-Either that, or he'll be an azz-hole, and you get the badge number and write the city to ask them what's going on. As long as you're nice,and the cop's nice, I woudn't care if he's taking a break or doing paperwork. . . .

Now, if he was FBI. . . definatly go armed, yell conflicting orders, and if they aren't giving you a good show, start shooting. They dig that sort of thing. Make's the job more interesting.

In case of BATF, bring flamethrower. -It gives 'em a hard on.

*Disclaimer* Don't do this^^^^. :rolleyes:

-Justin
View Quote

No, no, no. If it's the FBI, you should shoot him in the face with your AR15 and then say he looked like a bank robber. Duh!

But seriously, I would guess he would be nice as long as you aren't making stupid jokes or complaning about a speeding ticket you got 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
violet criminals
View Quote

View Quote

The green ones aren't so bad, it's the [orange]orange[/orange] ones that are [i]really[/i] bad!

coyote3
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you look like Pamela Anderson, Dont bother him. Theres nothing a cop hates more than to have someone talk to him while hes doing paperwork,taking a break, or trying to eat. If you come across a cop be polite, say hello, and go about your business.
View Quote

Fuck that. I'd go ask him what he was doing since he is out of his jurisdiction. Cops sure as hell don't mind bothering you. Even if he was in his jurisdiction I'd ask him what he is doing there all the time, but if he is out of his jurisdiction I'd give him a little attitude.
View Quote

Sure you would. And guess what? You would be the first person ever to give him "attitude".[rolleyes]
And when he told you to go fuck yourself you would head straight for the complaint department, candy ass. Now it's you hiding behind the badge. You think you can run your sewer to a Cop because if he doesn't take your shit you will try to burn him. That's cowardly.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#30]
More than likely on his meal break or doing paperwork or catching a few quick zzzz's(Yes, that's legit too!). As for being out of his jurisdiction, so what? It's a marked patrol car in public view. Go ahead, run up on him and ask your "questions", let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Was just wondering do you live in the portland metro area? Say outside Forest Grove,Newberg,Sherwood,Gaston,Yamhill,Carlton?

The reason why I ask  is that there are quite a few winerys in these areas and if a police officer is around those areas they sure are going way out of there way to not be bothered!

The police officer is probably just doing paperwork. It probably would not hurt to go strike up a conversation with the officer and see what is going on. Since there is new construction going on he could just be out there keeping an eye on things to.

I used to install heating and airconditioning systems in new construction homes and people would be surprised on how many things get stolen, and vandalized on new construction job sites,especially in the summertime when kids have nothing else better to do then go through a sub-division being built and tip over all the out-houses[:(!]

Nothing like needing to take a dump and needing to drive all over a sub-division to find a place to take a crap!

Just the company I worked for we had a couple of furnaces stolen,duct work stolen, air conditioning units stolen, and it seemed to happen most in the upper scale homes we were working on.Made things interesting when you go back to the job site the day after you set a furnace to install the gas pipe and there is no furnace there.

Times are tough these days and people will try to make a buck which ever way they can!
View Quote

I live in Dundee (about 2 miles from Newberg), behind a winery on the hill. The winery is about 150ish yards from my house.

Paper work does seem like the most logical thing. I do not think it's to gaurd the construction site, because he is in his police car.

UPS has a hard enough time finding us, let alone someone to sell something from some house behing built. They arent even past the foundation yet...

If they are writing up reports, that is a lot of long reports...

Hmmm...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#32]
maybe the car parked there is why you don't have any crime.[;)]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I think you just being a little to paranoid. What's the big deal man? If you start seeing a unmarked police car around you neighborhood then I would start to worry.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think you just being a little to paranoid. What's the big deal man? If you start seeing a unmarked police car around you neighborhood then I would start to worry.
View Quote

Not a big deal, or paranoid..just wondering why he is there...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok just approach the car from the front with nothing in your hands and make sure he sees you approaching.  Then explain that you were concerned that something may have happened in the area and that you live in the area.  I he's worth a damn he'll be ubderstanding and explain his presence, truth or atleast a good bullshit story.  Does not sound like he's sleeping since it is such a open spot.  Paperwork or maybe off duty is my bet.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't sweat it, just go politely ask him what he is doing there, as a concerned citizen. If he is out of his juridiction and gives you the attitude remind him of that, I personally wouldn't care if he parked his car in front of my house and wanted to use my shitter. Doors down the hall and to the right....
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I sent them there. They will stay there and continue monitoring you until you send me my money.

Monitoring...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't drink the green ones, they're not ripe yet!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Why in gods name would an off duty cop park by an outhouse in my neighborhood, in a patrol car???

He's off duty right? Why wouldnt he go home??

Pardon my ignorance, but if they are out of their jurisdiction, do they still have authority over me?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Depending on the presence or absence of obstructions and the availability of concealment, I'd get some friends and a launcher and lob waterballoons at his car.

Landing one on the hood or roof ought to provide a nice, satisfying report.

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Sure you would. And guess what? You would be the first person ever to give him "attitude".[rolleyes]
And when he told you to go fuck yourself you would head straight for the complaint department, candy ass. Now it's you hiding behind the badge. You think you can run your sewer to a Cop because if he doesn't take your shit you will try to burn him. That's cowardly.
View Quote

Since you want to start with insults. Go fuck yourself.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why in gods name would an off duty cop park by an outhouse in my neighborhood, in a patrol car???

Pardon my ignorance, but if they are out of their jurisdiction, do they still have authority over me?
View Quote

Are we a little paranoid? Most people bitch 'cause they never see the police in their neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Got any single mom's that live near by? .....LOL

He might be working off duty security.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Ut oh. They are staking you out. Make sure you clean up for when they kick the doors in ;) Oh, and I don't think I'm gonna order anything else from you. LoL. j/k
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:48:08 AM EDT
[#46]

[B]Instead of doing paperwork, shouldn't they be out catching all the violet criminals and ticketing old ladies for going 27 in a 25? Although, it does kind of sound logical...[/quote][/B]

Careful...johninaustin will be getting up his dander at this post. Be talking about all the ass he kicked in life and how he's been a cop for so long, he was there providing security for Jesus at the Last Supper(heh, heh). (Hi, John)

Anyway, I agree, this is probably a cool, quiet spot to do paperwork he needs to catch up on.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 2:43:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I would take pictures of him,and log what times he is there,and go file a complaint.

BTW - if he is doing security WTF is he doing in our patrol car ,doing personal business.

The above mentioned is another complaint i would have.[}:D]

If he is eating, WTF is he doing driving way out of his patrol zone,or doing paperwork.

I would file a complaint.

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Not wanting to cause an uproar but....What is all this nonsense about logging his time and filing complaints??? Sometimes I really think some people need to develop a new hobby besides cop bashing. He is probubly on an off duty detail watching a construction site or something. If the company pays for the use of the cruiser, this is perfectly OK. Get over the ticket you received (And deserved) 20 years ago. Besides, nobody is going to break into your trailer if there is a marked cruiser nearby......
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not wanting to cause an uproar but....What is all this nonsense about logging his time and filing complaints??? Sometimes I really think some people need to develop a new hobby besides cop bashing. He is probubly on an off duty detail watching a construction site or something. If the company pays for the use of the cruiser, this is perfectly OK. Get over the ticket you received (And deserved) 20 years ago. Besides, nobody is going to break into your trailer if there is a marked cruiser nearby......
View Quote

You're a freakin mind reader! Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Dunkin donuts nearby?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top