User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2012 6:52:43 PM EDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rupYq5j7vC8

KEYS TO THE BLUE GOOSE  is the television documentary series about the 122nd
recruit school of the Michigan State Police academy.  Known as one of
the toughest police academies in the country if not the world, the MSP
academy is a 20 week non-stop challenge.

http://www.buoy22films.com/?page_id=25

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder how it compares to the Texas DPS academy.   It is 26 weeks, and they beat the hell out of them.  3 marines dropped from my brothers class.   I think only one third of the starting class graduated.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking for the thread where GD talks about how bad ass, cops are. Am I in the right place?

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
What exactly is the point of running an academy like that?
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
as a former LEO I will say nothing...they need to spend more time on teaching LEOS how to serve the public and that an act of kindness and being respectful even to people who may not deserve it cost them nothing...

teach them to beat someones ass but in a polite way
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Some videos from the recruit school produced by the MSP.

Much less dramatic.

Learning the Basics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m97S6GhWLf4

Obstacle Course PT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ371xlUf90

Water Safety Training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvxJVEDn1Vk

Precision Driving School

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKspmAoBfPQ

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Interested in seeing the way this one goes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag to watch later tonight.

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Me too.

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Gifs/IN.gif

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
S           T           O           P
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

S           T           O           P

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Is this going to be on tv or a web series on youtube?

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've got the impression that many academies that are ran in a military like way is because they want there recruits to be more like the military instead of being police.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got the impression that many academies that are ran in a military like way is because they want there recruits to be more like the military instead of being police.

My brother said his 6 months in the academy made his Navy experiance feel like the boy scouts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Is this going to be on tv or a web series on youtube?  

According to the website they are shopping for a TV network.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Train to be the the cream of the LEO world, have them sit on the freeway outside of Ispheming, counting deer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Train to be the the cream of the LEO world, have them sit on the freeway outside of Ispheming, counting deer.

Is that what they are; The "cream of the LEO world"? The cream of the ticket writers, maybe.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that what they are; The "cream of the LEO world"? The cream of the ticket writers, maybe.

Well, I'm being kind based on the description of their boot camp.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd have to compare them to genuine cops that investigate, and solve actual crimes before I start throwing around labels like "Cream of the LEO crop". Traffic enforcement is for re'tards.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd have to compare them to genuine cops that investigate, and solve actual crimes before I start throwing around labels like "Cream of the LEO crop". Traffic enforcement is for re'tards.

Well sure. And other than the state forensic labs, I'm not really sure what they do other than write tickets.

But I'm in a good mood tonight, so benefit of the doubt and all that!
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Stress inoculation.

Instructors yelling and screaming while you are trying to make decisions helps you later when you are in real situations. pull up on the scene of the 4 car wreck with multiple people pinned inside vehicles. Or when you pull up on the scene of that shooting in the projects and there's a crowd of 100 people around yelling and screaming and you're trying to secure the crime scene, disperse a disorderly crowd, and render aid to the wounded.

I'm not saying police work is like combat, but it sure as hell isn't a game.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

To weed out anyone who isn't a complete douche if the results are any indication.  Never met a state trooper who isn't a complete tool.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#28]
20 weeks? Holy shit. Don't care how long there indoctrination camp is.   Wish I could say I've had a pleasant experience with MSP but that is not the case.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In some cases, I don't think they remember anymore.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Stress inoculation.

Instructors yelling and screaming while you are trying to make decisions helps you later when you are in real situations. pull up on the scene of the 4 car wreck with multiple people pinned inside vehicles sitting on a freeway on ramp soaking up OT. Or when you pull up on the scene of that shooting in the projects and there's a crowd of 100 people around yelling and screaming and you're trying to secure the crime scene, disperse a disorderly crowd, and render aid to the wounded guy with a license plate light out.

I'm not saying police work is like combat, but it sure as hell isn't a game, but the MSP is a colossal waste of taxpayer funds .

Fixed to more accurately reflect the MSP.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#31]
The single rotating beacon kills me
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I saw a documentary like that once. One of the recruits could make all kinds of cool noises with his mouth, another was an arfcommer and the most successful of them was a smooth talker. Was a really well done show, I think it was in the 80's.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well sure. And other than the state forensic labs, I'm not really sure what they do other than write tickets.

We had a trooper come talk to our Model UN class when I was in high school 20 years ago.  He was the head of a SWAT team, I don't remember if it was the local barracks, or for the whole state, or what.  I remember though that someone asked him if he'd ever had to kill anyone.  He said "I've had to fire my weapon on 8 separate occasions, 8 people died as a result."  He was very mild-mannered, smart, didn't give off the prick cop vibe at all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I saw a documentary like that once. One of the recruits could make all kinds of cool noises with his mouth, another was an arfcommer and the most successful of them was a smooth talker. Was a really well done show, I think it was in the 80's.

And one was a former motor pool sargeant in a Korean MASH unit...
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a trooper come talk to our Model UN class when I was in high school 20 years ago.  He was the head of a SWAT team, I don't remember if it was the local barracks, or for the whole state, or what.  I remember though that someone asked him if he'd ever had to kill anyone.  He said "I've had to fire my weapon on 8 separate occasions, 8 people died as a result."  He was very mild-mannered, smart, didn't give off the prick cop vibe at all.

That is also part of the course.  Hope they hold a special place in hell for most of those fuckers.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So 20 years ago there was a State Trooper that wasn't a prick who did nothing but write tickets all day. Well, I guess it is possible.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Does that academy train other Michigan LEO's?  I know in Wisconsin, that many police departments will send their new recruits through the Wisconsin State Patrol school at Ft. McCoy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No, they should sit on M-28 between Marquette and Munising, counting deer during one of the blizzards there....
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Most of the smaller local municipalities around here are happy to have the MSP help, or even take over investigations because of the higher level of training they get, and their resources.

I am not sure about the larger cities, they most likely like to do their own work.

But we sure did always think the the recruits went through some sort of horses ass class.

Some of the troops would hang out at the taverns and be pretty decent guys.

Some of them wouldn't give you the time of day. They were all that much better than the rest of us.

That was also quite a long time ago.

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MSP is a true "State Police" agency, not simply highway patrol. In most areas they are most visible as highway traffic enforcement, but in other areas that have more limited local police coverage they also run calls for service and act as a more "traditional" police force. They've been more active lately off the highway even in areas with local police departments and sheriff's offices like Kalamazoo County since MSP started changing up their posts and postings.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#41]
I really like the retro look of their patrol cars, I hope they never get rid of it
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I really like the retro look of their patrol cars, I hope they never get rid of it

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1316697_Historical_Cars_of_the_Michigan_State_Police___And_other_goodies_110_Baud_Beware_.html

FWIW, I've never had an issue with a State Trooper during my few limited dealings with them.

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Stress inoculation.
Instructors yelling and screaming while you are trying to make decisions helps you later when you are in real situations. pull up on the scene of the 4 car wreck with multiple people pinned inside vehicles. Or when you pull up on the scene of that shooting in the projects and there's a crowd of 100 people around yelling and screaming and you're trying to secure the crime scene, disperse a disorderly crowd, and render aid to the wounded.
Render what...  to the who?

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stress inoculation.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stress inoculation.

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stress inoculation.

http://pinkie.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/133799416847.png

Shooting in the projects and I'm gonna render aid to the wounded? Yeah......I'm go with "no" on that one. "Central, have a bus respond"
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

LOL, "ramp roosters".

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stress inoculation.

http://pinkie.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/133799416847.png

Shooting in the projects and I'm gonna render aid to the wounded? Yeah......I'm go with "no" on that one. "Central, have a bus respond"

I am not being critical. I was just posting the 'oh boy,,,here we go' as I have feeling this thread will descend to the gates of hell at some point. Just call it a hunch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#49]
The ONLY time that it's OK to wear short sleeves with a tie is if you work for NASA or teach Biology.
Link Posted: 5/29/2012 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The ONLY time that it's OK to wear short sleeves with a tie is if you work for NASA or teach Biology.

It is never OK to wear short sleeves with a tie - and I've worked in aerospace engineering................

Brian

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top