Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2002 2:18:14 PM EDT
I was told that Massachusetts just passed a law, that you can not shoot at a target that looks like a person. I am trying to find out if this is true. It came from a guy doing IDPA at the range today. He lives there. Says they are cutting the head off of the Targets to shoot at a big Square. He also said this is true of silhouette targets also....
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
He probably belongs to one of those clubs that forbids the use of human silhouette targets.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]
No I am telling you he said it was a State Law.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Sad but true; although this isn't that recent a law... it's been in effect since Sept 1998.

[URl]http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/seslaw98/sl980180.htm[/URL].

"Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties".

And from what I understand it doesn't apply to all gun clubs.

What gets me is that the State requires safety certification/range firing for all new Class A and Class B LTC's and unrestricted permits to carry.

Apparently they feel it's in the citizens best interest that permit holders recieve improper training.

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that is scary..I thought it was something that passed a couple of weeks ago..They are talking about doing this in NYS,,,Nassau and Suffolk County. There are some horrable things comming down the line.It's going to make us forget about the AW ban sunset...I am trying to get all the info possible. BMG are going to be given the Boot in NY from what is being said. That is all I know so far.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The law mainly applies to shooting gallery type facilities that rent out guns or have a certain type of license.  This is not true of all ranges.  Tell your buddy that he should carefully check the law and whether it applies to his range or not.

Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
OK Thanks for the info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top