Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2002 1:55:28 PM EDT
Is bike racing such as in the Tour De France, a predominately gay sport?

I've often noticed that a 'supposed' highly competitive, testosterone-fueled sport almost ALWAYS ends up being a gay sport as soon as fashion and tight-fitting gear comes into play. This is proven in such things as figure skating, gymnastics and football.

So, is it gay, or just kinda gay?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
my ten speed is hot pink.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
My father in law and my wife are both big into bike racing and I have never met a single gay racer. not one.
scott
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
in 31 years of training and racing i never saw or heard rumors of a single gay road racer.

it takes balls bigger than what you've got to climb l'alp d'huez or the tourmalet at full tilt boogie.

is descending the alps at 70+mph "gay"?

was lance armstrong's 25mph faceplant to the ashalt in today's stage "gay"?

is training 10,000 miles a year "gay"?

is racing 2,035 miles in 23 days "gay"?

cycling clothes have been much the same for over 100 years. the material choices change with fabric technology and the color schemes according to sponsership...but every article of clothing a racer wears is purpose built to do one thing first and foremost...get the rider to the finish line first.

the only thing around here i see that's "gay" or "kinda gay" is the question asked in this topic.

i would pay $100 for you to even suggest to jan ulrich that road racing is "gay"! i'ld pay another c-note to watch what followed.

buy a clue. obviously, you have none.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
They say this is the number one spectator sport in france (bigger than soccer?)
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I was the OKLAHOMA Jr State Cycling Champion in 1984.  Girls in my highschool used to like to rub their hands on my smooth strong legs.  They also dug my ass.(yes they rubbed that too) I'll admit the outfits are kinda weird.   I remember getting my first "skin suit."  It was better than the old wool jersey's.   When you crashed you ended up nearly naked.  I personally have never met a gay bike racer.  They are typically poon hounds.  A lot of womenz dig a fit guy.   There are some chics that go for the outta shape beer belly type.  At least thats what I've heard.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Troll!

Anyway, it's a fantastically tough sport. You have to sometimes ride to the outer limit while at the same time thinking about half a dozen variables, all the while exposed to the weather on a playing field as big as the outdoors. Andy Hampsten winning the Giro while climbing a mountain pass thousands of feet high in the Alps in the middle of a snowstorm beats some guys with paunches hitting a little white ball around a park on a sunny day.

Armstrong is looking good. The ONCE guys, Beloki and Galdeano, will probably have the best shot at challenging him. Armstrong will probably be clear by a bit after the time trial (though not by as much as some people think). After that the mountains. Armstrong specializes in attacking on the last climb of the day on mountain stages. ONCE will have to try to isolate him from his team, probably by sending one of those two off on a long attack well before the final climb, forcing Armstrong to chase. The Posties will have to try to keep the tempo up and the gap down until the final climb.

I think Armstrong will try to win on Mt. Ventoux this year. Giving that stage to Patani was a mistake, and I think he's looking to correct it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is bike racing such as in the Tour De France, a predominately gay sport?

I've often noticed that a 'supposed' highly competitive, testosterone-fueled sport almost ALWAYS ends up being a gay sport as soon as fashion and tight-fitting gear comes into play. This is proven in such things as figure skating, gymnastics and football.

So, is it gay, or just kinda gay?
View Quote

That's the dumbest observation by anyone I can remember and it's got nothing to do with reality. Instead it must be based on a twisted perception by a true homophobe.

So, it's proven...eh, DevilsAdvocate? By you?

Must be based on your dating experience?

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#9]
First of all, the football thing was thrown in for laughs. Secondly, I wasn't trying to flame anyone or call them gay. But apparently, after recieving 3 emails to the effect that I'm an asshole and a homophobe, it struck a raw nerve with a few people.

That settles it. Not only is bike racing not gay, it isnt even kinda gay (except for my friend Bryan, who is one of those 'masculine' gay men who just happens to really get into bike racing).

By the way, the term 'homophobe' refers to someone who is afraid of gays, usually because they don't understand them or are secretly concerned about their own sexuality.

Usually, the people who use the term quite freely and often (such as those who emailed me) do so because they are LIBERALS and use the term to empower themselves, OR to impress their peers.

I'm sorry if offended anyone. I didn't mean to.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top