Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2012 7:37:01 AM EDT
First let me say I am glad these 2 low lifes will not see daylight again, the sentencing in the Federal system will not let them out on parole.

At their age they are in for life.

But why the federal prosecution on armed robbery charges for 2 common stick up guys?

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2012/04/042412-wash-brothers-sentenced-to-combined-94-years-in-prison-for-armed-robberies.html

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First let me say I am glad these 2 low lifes will not see daylight again, the sentencing in the Federal system will not let them out on parole.
At their age they are in for life.

But why the federal prosecution on armed robbery charges for 2 common stick up guys?

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2012/04/042412-wash-brothers-sentenced-to-combined-94-years-in-prison-for-armed-robberies.html

Hobbs Act violation, stiffer sentences than what the state can hand down.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#2]
On Feb. 3, 2012, a Federal jury found the brothers guilty of conspiracy to commit robbery, two counts of robbery, two counts of use of a firearm in furtherance of robbery, and two counts of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Maybe that?

I read in an article many years ago that some departments would have a check list for firearms violations that violate federal law. If they could bump it up to a federal case, they would.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
In my AO we prefer to send felon with a firearm cases to the feds because the fed sentencing is much stiffer.  Something like 14 mos. max at the state to the minimum 5 yrs. at the fed level.  And if the bad guy is designated as an armed career criminal - the feds can really stick it to them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:49:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top