Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2002 3:54:07 PM EDT
The Americans of Japanese heritage, who are the proprietors of one of my favorite Japanese restaurants, do a superb job of giving it to me "raw".

[img]junior.apk.net/~scotts/sushi2.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone was scraping off the wharf pilings this afternoon....
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]

With the gun there are you contemplating which is the worst death? Death by lead or death by fishbait?

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd have to nibble on the barrel of the.45 just to get the taste of that shit out of my mouth.  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice gun man, the blue press girl is what I want to eat ! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Give ya a shiny new dime to eat that ball of wasabi all at once...

I like sushi too...
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Yuck!![puke]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
As I am not a Sushi eater would you enlighten the croud?  What is all that stuff.  Only thing I recognize is the wasabi, rice, and seaweed.  How does all that stuff taste anyway?  I'd think about giving it a try.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Geez SWS......you're one hungry guy! Maybe the rest don't know, but thats one helluva lot of sushi! That stuff isn't cheap either, don't know about you, but around here, thats probably a 50-60 dollar meal.......

But it looks good [:D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#10]
What bait store did you get that stuff at?
Where's the hot Sake?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks fabulous.

Sushi rocks!

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That stuff isn't cheap either, don't know about you, but around here, thats probably a 50-60 dollar meal.......
View Quote

Agreed - It can be steep.

For you Dallasites, theres a place on the east side of Greenville Ave. just south of Walnut Hill called Sumo Sushi.

$13.00 - all you can eat! [:D]

Sushi of all kinds, kabobs, grilled and baked fish steaks, cooked oriental style veggies - it's really a great deal.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#13]
That's the "Sushi and Sashimi Combination".  $29.

It consists of:
Yellowtail
Fatty Tuna
Regular Tuna
Octopus
California Rolls
Shrimp
Salmon
Tuna Roll topped with smelt roe
Mackerel
Crab stick
..among other things.

You guys have no sense of adventure.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#14]
[puke]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Bait??  No thanks.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
BUNCH OF CLOSED MINDED BASTARDS...you condem something that you have never tasted or refuse to taste, or have had bad sushi out of plastic rap from the vending machine at your work...which is worse than the worst of any sushi restraunt.

to me, the texture and some of the flavor of fresh raw fish(salmon being my favorite) is like rare filet mignon..im not joking, you get fresh, good quality meat, it does not smell or taste like harbor at all!(xcept macaral but it istn that bad)

that actually looks pretty good for being from ohio...i know sushi places in some states suck compared to what i get here in so kali.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Man, now I am starving!  I like teka maki, toro and kani.  That maguro looks tasty!  I can almost feel it melt in my mouth.

Did they forget your shrimp head?  Shrimp heads are sooooo tasty!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
BUNCH OF CLOSED MINDED BASTARDS...you condem something that you have never tasted or refuse to taste, or have had bad sushi out of plastic rap from the vending machine at your work...which is worse than the worst of any sushi restraunt.

to me, the texture and some of the flavor of fresh raw fish(salmon being my favorite) is like rare filet mignon..im not joking, you get fresh, good quality meat, it does not smell or taste like harbor at all!(xcept macaral but it istn that bad)

that actually looks pretty good for being from ohio...i know sushi places in some states suck compared to what i get here in so kali.
View Quote

Southern Commiefornia!?! Ha! It's still just imitation. I was stationed in Japan for two years. Don't paint yourself out to be a connoisseur until you've had the real thing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
[:O]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I've tried sushi and SOME of it is ok. But what I don't understand is the fact that the Japanese HAVE discovered fire .
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#21]
i wasnt comparing kali sushi to japanese sushi..i was defending an awesom type of food!
my dad was in japan for a while, i asked him to compare the traditional japanese sushi to the japanese style sushi here in kali(fillet on top of rice "ball") he said quality and flavor here are same, but the place we go has more generous proportions than japanese style...and he is right take the normal size cut of salmon on that is ontop of the rice, and double the lenght and thickness and thats what the place we go to serves...i was surprized at this answer because i know in japan many dont settle for anything but the best.

anyways why can i not compare it?
same ocean
same people
same sushi school
same $600 knife
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've tried sushi and SOME of it is ok. But what I don't understand is the fact that the Japanese HAVE discovered fire .
View Quote

in a whole..raw food can be better for you than cooked food.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#23]
That is a great looking dish. The food looks ok too. Where's the tempura? That's the "bait" I used to get family and friends to try Japanese food. Once they were convinced that they liked Japanese food, it was no problem getting them to try other things down the road. What's that you're drinking? Where's the Sapporo, Asahi, Kirin? Where's the Sake?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Thats not food ,thats bait!
You going fishing or something?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I can handle the California rolls, but you can keep the rest. I'll skip the injestion of parasites and flukes, thank you. Personally, for that $29 I can get a hell of a lot of eating pleasure out of a good, aged steak or prime rib. My ex used to force sushi down my throat in college, and after 2 years of the stuff (even the good stuff at high-end San Francisco establishments), I never developed a test for it.

Man was not meant to eat raw fish. Why in the hell do you think God invented fire? he he

BTW, Coke? Where the hell is the saki?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd be hungry if I hadn't gone to a heck of a good Chinese restaurant in Pasadena tonight. Sushi is great, but I'm not sure about it from a state that doesn't border an ocean. :/ I'm picky about the quality. If you haven't tried it, do so. You're missing out.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I was stationed in Japan for 3 years. Damn I miss Japanese food. I ate so much Japanese food in 3 years that I thought I was going to start looking Japanese. Nothing like the real thing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Mmmm sushi... add some hot Saki or a Sapporo beer and thats perfect meal. I usually go for some maguro (raw tuna), amaebi (raw shrimp) (with the shrimp heads fried for theatrical effect), hamachi, uni (Sea Urchin), and a tempura shrimp roll.    You non-sushi eaters don't know what you're missing!
I like variety in my food. I don't think I eat food from the same part of the world 2 days in a row. For example last week: Thai one day, Indian or Pakistani the next, a good ol' American Bacon Cheeseburger and fries the next, sushi, then a falafel wrap from the Palestinians on the corner.
Mmmm...

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#30]
That miso soup needs to be stirred. Why is a spoon there?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Yummy. [:)]
I had Black Angus tonight, and I'm stuffed.
I'm gonna have Sushi tomorrow night, but don't expect a pic of my pistol on the table at Kona Grill![;)]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Sashimi is excellent,high quality,i mean.
  Salmon,Yellowtail,Ahi,Spanish Mackrell,Squid,
  Scallops,all tasty shiot.

Like my steaks,Ribeye,Filet Migon,rare as possible,like lions on the Sarengetti.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I eat raw fish on occasion, hamachi ( yellow tail tuna ) and awabi ( abalone ) being two of my uncooked favorites.

I wouldn't eat raw fish in a hole in the wall joint.  Only three joints around here that I normally frequent.  My favorite sushi joint has a bunch of Japanese dudes working the sushi bar.  $24.00 for a sashimi deluxe which includes a shrimp head.  Don't eat the head!...the antenna will poke you!  Shrimps revenge.

Watch out, some restaurants got funny looking  dudes masquerading as Japanese sushi chefs!  Were they trained in Japan?  Probably not.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#34]
[img]http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/images/PowerBait/Turbo%20Dough/Turbo%20Dough.jpg[/img][img]http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/images/PowerBait/CatFish%20Bait/Catfish%20Bait%20Chunks/Catfish%20Bait%20Chunks.jpg[/img][img]http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/images/PowerBait/CatFish%20Bait/Crappie%20Nibbles/Product2.jpg[/img][img]http://www.wholesalebait.com/images/wildcat_thumb.jpg[/img][img]http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/images/PowerBait/Jelly%20and%20Attractant/Jelly/AddPhoto1.jpg[/img][img]http://www.cattracker.com/cattracker/images/sewer1.jpg[/img][img]http://www.guideshop.com/roe_orange.jpg[/img]][img]http://www.guideshop.com/roe_red_diped.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Ya'll know what the difference is between a good sushi chef and a poor one?
The good one removes the parasites before he serves you the food. [puke]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ya'll know what the difference is between a good sushi chef and a poor one?
The good one removes the parasites before he serves you the food. [puke]
View Quote

Be very wary of strange looking sushi chefs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top