Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2001 10:36:55 PM EDT
Working for the county coroner assisting in autopsies tops my list, but ditch digging and selling encyclopedias door to door are right up there too! [spank]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
working for UPS, they treat you like a slave, and unless your a driver you dont make much money
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
hell yeah working for ups sucks, i worked this past summer on the night shift loading boxes, got treated like a slave.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Salad Bar "Tech" at Sizzler....[:(]
View Quote

your going to hurt "Imbrog|io" feeling talking about his job like that
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddy cleaned porta potties one summer, made good money, $20.00 an hour, but I would'nt even consider it, people sh!+ in those things.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Today I got to wipe diarhea out of the butt crack of a 300lb. 15year old with severe mental retardation.  This is a relatively regular occurence.

I also come home routinely with bruises on my arms and scabs on my hands from being hit and dug at by fingernails.

Life's great, huh.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I can tell you I'll damn sure never volunteer to be the "holder" at another Arkansas goat ropin'.

Gunslinger
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Let's see...
I worked construction when I was 17, I was in South Carolina for the summer and ended up digging swimming pools.

Later I worked as a driver for Domino's pizza, then I worked at Toys R Us at Christmas time.
After that I washed windows for a while, 65+ hours a week for about $6 an hour. While my boss got Rich.

I've also had a few bouts with Work Release/Community Service, but that wasn't bad compared to working in the SlaughterHouse at the Honor Farm... But I won't get into that...[:(]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Alta, while working with the KCPD homicide unit I attended in the neighborhood of 400 autopsies. We'll have to share war stories some time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Ratters? You a feeder at the zoo? wow. I would definately find sumptin new. How bout Indian bingo?
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Crack dealer on an East Harlem corner.[:D]
View Quote

if you get in tight with clinton it's a good job
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#13]
BigAl, which UPS hub did you work at? i was in gardena
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I worked in the San Bruno hub up near SFO.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#16]
so what happened to the little flamey thing you used to get when yer thread his 15 posts???? I say bring it back!  [pyro]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Telemarketing is the definition of hell on earth. I did it for 3 years and I do not understand how I stayed sane.

After 4 hours the only calls you will want to make are to the suicide prevention hotline.

I don't work at Sizzler! I am a culinary artist at well known national gourmet restaurant where I am in charge of the creating spiral and julienne pomme frites.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#18]
My first job as a combat engineer was being lowered into a 10,000 gallon septic tank that was 3/4 full, to weld a vent pipe back in that some dumb shit bird colonel cleaned off at ground level with his staff car while touring the post RV park. After the safety guy assured me that the gasses were "probably" below explosive levels I was lowered into the tank in a seat harness and spent 15 minutes welding the pipe with condoms and tampons stuck to to walls surrounding me.

I told my NCOIC if he ever gave me a job like that again I would go to my commander climb up on his desk and urinate on him, thus ensuring a ticket out of the military. My NCOIC laughed at me and sent me to burn some rod at the JP4 tank farm the next week.

Peacetime can be hell.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Telemarketing is the definition of hell on earth. I did it for 3 years and I do not understand how I stayed sane.

After 4 hours the only calls you will want to make are to the suicide prevention hotline.

When I get a call asking for the homeowner I hand the phone to my five year old son that seems to take care of them. Either that or I just lay the phone down and let them rattle on. but I'll bet you've heard all the tricks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#20]
skin diver for Roto-Rooter
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#22]
1st job: picking cantalope in Blythe California.

2nd job: Mixing pesticides and flagging for crop
dusters in Blythe California (no ban on DDT back then).

Worst job: Hot tar roofing . You smell like tar until the day you quit.

Best job: Tending bar in Portland Oregon. All the free liquor and poontang you can handle!
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
working for UPS, they treat you like a slave, and unless your a driver you dont make much money
View Quote

Good to hear, that is going to be my summer job.

Working as a bag boy was my worst job. I'd bitch a little, but after MindHunter and DizzyRooster it would seem trivial.

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#24]
[b]Being a pimp is pretty rough. My bitches always givin me lip. I get tired of chasin them down for money before they spend it on crack. "The Phone in my LIMO is busted and I can't get in touch wif my bitches."[/b]
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I am a painter. People are nuts. It is hard work but I work for myself.  That is the key in life work for yourself. Even if you make less money.

To tell you how nuts these people are my customer yesturday is a clean freak and she told me she gave her daughters hamster a bath. I think she soaped /shampooed it up real well. What a jerk!!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Worst job I ever had?  Hmmm.

Making prestressed concrete beams.  20 hour days, don't go home until the batch is completely poured.  Just slept in the parking lot several times rather than go home.  

Working in the log yard at a intergrated plywood mill.  Nothing in the world like lying on your back under a ring debarker with a chainsaw clearing a jam.  Too many easy ways to die to list here.  Did I mention that one was 5 PM to 5 AM?  

Link Posted: 4/4/2001 4:36:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Worst had to be as a car salesman.  The money was decent, but it sucked to constantly be harassed by your boss to sell more cars, and yelled at by customers to leave them alone.  If I did what the customer asked by boss yelled at me, if I did what the boss said the customer yelled at me.

Oh well...
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I was a welder's assistant once.  That sucked.  Had to commute 2 hrs on the bus each way, once there handled oversized wire grinders that shot sparks into my jeans.  Worked with nasty solvents to clean off grease.  All for the princely sum of $3.85 an hour.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crack dealer on an East Harlem corner.[:D]
View Quote

if you get in tight with clinton it's a good job
View Quote

Qualifies you to be mayor of DC.

Norm
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Mess duty aboard ship.  It is bad bad bad, specially that trash detail, whew.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I used to work at Seven-Eleven store 11:00pm to 7:00am shift (during my school years). I wouldn't recommended that to anyone. All the crazies and weirdos came in at those hours. Fights, insults, motorcycles in the store, robbery, shop lifting, you named it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
MindHunter and DizzyRooster: I think you got us all beat. [:D]
View Quote

Unfortunately, maybe they don't. I used to have the pipe fitting gig myself. We were a small non union shop and we always got the maintenance jobs that them union boys did not want.

I spent a few months at a water treatment facility - 'sh*t farm'. Every job there was aweful. One of the worst - changing out a giant rake at the begining of the system. Five feet deep of rushing turd, condoms, tampons, food, piss and water - what a smell. Nothing like be stuck in a lift with a steam cleaner - blows all that stuff all over yourself when you hit the button. Chlorine gas exposure and caughing up blood was another benifit of the place too.

One other - setting chokers (logging) - very physical work, long hours, very dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I worked for Target one year in San Antonio when they were first setting up their stores there. What a bunch of butt holes and power freaks.  I got screamed at for wearing a cap to work one day (got up late and hair was funky).
The store was a month away from being open.
Needless to say, I did not stay long after that.

Link Posted: 4/4/2001 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Commercial Fishing,

One trip scalloping on the Christina Ann we nicknamed our captain Capt. Mother F@cker.  He worked us 20 hrs on 6 hrs off for 20 days.  We were 80+ miles offshore so It's not like you can quit and swim home.  We were exhausted.  He thought we were filling 30 lbs bags when in reality we were filling 50 lbs bags.  He thought we were screwing off, so he set the new schedule.  Believe it or not the Maritime laws that were in effect back in the early 1800's still are, which makes mutiny a serious crime, even on a commercial boat.  That was my worst job ever.

Link Posted: 4/4/2001 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to hang red iron in Dallas for a few years.  The summers were long and hot sitting up on that iron with no butt (I'm a skinny white guy [:)])to protect my nads welding with slag landing inside your gloves.  Ouch, that hurts just thinking about it.  And you can't jump around hollering around cause gravity sucks when you're up there.  

One time,  I was walking along a 4" tilt wall panel and stepped on a nail that was sticking out of the concrete and had to slowly reach down and pull my foot off that nail cause I was stuck in place.  Almost fell that time.

Did fall once, luckily only broke my arm.

Link Posted: 4/4/2001 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#37]
My worst Job was chicken and turkey catching. Domestic Chickens are more violant than some mistreated dogs. I have at least 15 scars on my forarms from those little fukers
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#38]
id have to say being a fireman, i swear nobody but wierdo's and perverts take that job up.  [;D]  

seriously it was throwing 100lb haybales or packing fiberglass in to mufflers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Working on the railroad in the summer replacing ties.  The first year I didn't know what creosote was.  After my arms got coated with it and I was burned so badly I could peel the skin off in big sheets, I learned to wear long sleeves even on the hottest days.  The worst part was working on the main line west of Philadelphia and experiencing a breakdown of equipment right before the rush hour.  All heck broke loose when the wealthy executives' commuter trains were late.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Workign for Bill Gates...you are just a number, and can be deleted any time (who you are does not matter, neither does if you have a family) his comes first and yours not even last...[V]
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm with BigAl and LAgunman.... UPS SUCKS!  Especially during the holiday season.  Or the summer:  loading 40 foot trailers that have been sitting in the full sun for 8 hours on a 110 degree day, 100% humidity.....hell on earth.

UPS=
Under
Paid
Slave
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Well lemmie see...
I was the Quality Control Inspector at Mustang Ranch in Nev for a few years.
Oh! This is about jobs you hated? Never mind...
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#45]
My username should say it all... It was a long time ago. Making sure all of the cashiers got equal time was very hazardous.

[i]"but the worst job I've had was... doing pre-employment physical examinations to college girls applying for summer jobs!"[/i]

Hey Ed, must have been backbreaking work.[;)]

Link Posted: 4/4/2001 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Status checker on the USS Forrestal flight deck where it's you and the hook runner during flight ops.
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Work on a terminal cancer ward, it will drive you to the brink.  You will also really, really, really be glad you have good health.
later
DA
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been a prison guard for five years.  You can see and do some crazy things in a county jail
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#49]
being a giggolo was hell. I got a bad back, buying expensive cars and clothes was breaking me, and the IRS was always on my back for tax evasion. Ok, ok, I'm kidding. Was it really that obvious?
Link Posted: 4/4/2001 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Beating ice off the bow and the crab pots in the middle of the Bering Sea.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top